Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 10:21:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no arbitrage occurring between Intersango GBP and mtgox?  (Read 763 times)
bullioner (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:25:57 PM

Bids on Intersango GBP are worth a good few percent more than asks on Mtgox USD at the moment.  I would have thought someone would be arbitraging between this pair, but it seems not?  To do the arbitrage, obviously you need funds ready on both exchanges (the reason I'm not going to Mtgox USD right now is due to the delay that would occur in funding the account).  But I thought I'd read that arbitrage between the main exchanges was being taken care of fairly well these days?  It's annoying because there is pretty much no ask depth on Intersango GBP.  You could push it up to 12 GBP (18.82 USD)  with only a couple of thousand GBP.
gllen
Donator

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:45:15 PM

For USD I'm guessing it's due to MtGox's slow Dwolla withdraws. It's like 7 days minimum turnaround for a MtGox/Dwolla/Intersango arb.

As someone new to arbitrage, I'm wondering how much of the recent juiciness has been related to MtGox/Dwolla.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 11:53:34 PM

Bids on Intersango GBP are worth a good few percent more than asks on Mtgox USD at the moment.

there is still a backlog from traders trying to withdraw gbp funds.  so to get the funds out they turn around and buy back bitcoins, even at the inflated price, and then sell elsewhere (mt. gox is about the only other btc/gbp market with liquidity), then withdraw.

this might resolve itself now that intersango is working through the backlog, but for now this is the situation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: