Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:44:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Etch your wallet into a copper plate  (Read 6279 times)
HeavyMetal (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:38:53 PM

I used to make my own custom circuit boards. The process is simple:

- You get a blank copper board from an electronic supply house(or ebay).
 - Then you print out a negative of your circuit design on a transparency.
 - You apply UV sensitive acid resistant ink to the whole board
 - You put the transparency over the board and bake it with bright UV light
 - Wherever the light goes through the transparency the ink will stay on, you wash the rest off with water
 - Then you expose the board to acid and everywhere you don't have acid resist ink dissolves away
 - You then wash off the acid and ink and have your design in copper

I just realized you could put a negative of your QR code and key strings on the board instead of a circuit and you would get a very resilient wallet.

Just an idea, have not actually tried it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:52:48 PM

- Wherever the light goes through the transparency the ink will stay on, you wash the rest off with water
 - Then you expose the board to acid and everywhere you don't have acid resist ink dissolves away

I just realized you could put a negative of your QR code and key strings on the board instead of a circuit and you would get a very resilient wallet.

That's a cool idea.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 10:54:21 PM

Any pointers on where to get the ink and acid?

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 01:00:29 AM

Any pointers on where to get the ink and acid?
Both easily available at any electronics supplier. Even Radio Shack.
Also you can do this with laser printer output and ironing it onto the copper. It's not as crisp and clear but should work for QR codes as long as not too small.

I also think you can do the same with thin gauge steel. I remember reading a web article showing how to use the same idea that way.

Your local CNC sheet metal shop can also cut a design into steel real quick for a fee.

You can order 10 5cm x 5cm high quality PCBs from China on the web for $10 but they would have photo resist on them (the blue/green/red coating).

HeavyMetal (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:21:11 AM

Here is a site that goes through the process: http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm

You can get all the supplies off of ebay or radio shack/the source or any decent electronics store.

CR-80 size(credit card size) would be nice
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:22:20 AM

That's a cool idea.

I would never trust copper to keep etched pattern safe from corrosion. Just think green patina on the roofs and statues.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:26:06 AM

That's a cool idea.

I would never trust copper to keep etched pattern safe from corrosion. Just think green patina on the roofs and statues.
Copper lasts longer than:
  • Paper (used in "paper wallets")
  • Hard drives (used in "digital wallets")
  • (arguably) Humans (used in "brain wallets")
The corrosion rate of several types of copper in a 20-yr test averaged 1 pm/yr (0.05 mpy) in an industrial atmosphere and 0.8 pm/yr (0.03 mpy) in a marine atmosphere.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:47:27 AM

That's a cool idea.

Copper lasts longer than:
  • Paper (used in "paper wallets")
  • Hard drives (used in "digital wallets")
  • (arguably) Humans (used in "brain wallets")
The corrosion rate of several types of copper in a 20-yr test averaged 1 pm/yr (0.05 mpy) in an industrial atmosphere and 0.8 pm/yr (0.03 mpy) in a marine atmosphere.

That's all neat and scientific, but here is a typical state of copper coins (a copper-based alloy, that  is):

Many of them look shitty.

Again, there's no way I'll trust copper to keep etched pattern safe. Stainless steel, aluminum, gold of course.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 01:52:59 AM

PCBs get a nice brown layer on them if they aren't coated with a shellac. So that's a good idea. Dropping one into an acrylic resin block would be cool and even better.

But even so they last a long long time. And you're not likely to keep your PCB QR code out in the weather. More likely in a dry safety deposit box.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 01:59:54 AM

Yeah, it's not expected to last forever. But it'll outlast you inside a sealed box by a longshot.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
HeavyMetal (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:10:09 PM

The thing about those roofs and statues is that when they are new they pour horse piss all over them to create that nice green patina. This patina actually protects the copper underneath. Notice that those building roofs are often over 100 years old yet have no fallen apart? If they did not put ammonia(horse piss) all over them then they would have gone an ugly penny brown. You will also notice that 200 year old pennies are still intact and readable despite changing color. This is because unlike iron when copper reacts the new substance does not fall off but rather insulates what is under it.

I have printed circuit boards from the 50s that are just fine. As long as you do not leave it out in the rain it should be fine. Even if it does patina it will still retain its shape.

Generally you give it a layer of protective coating when you are done.

Really, I have never seen a printed circuit board that has had its traces decay away and I have handled a lot of vintage electronics.

The same technique could be used with other metals, you might need a different acid though.
HeavyMetal (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:18:09 PM

Again, there's no way I'll trust copper to keep etched pattern safe. Stainless steel, aluminum, gold of course.

Aluminum also reacts with the air and despite common belief otherwise stainless steel does too. Ever seen a stainless steel mixing bowl left out in the rain?

As for gold, I think I would prefer that too. However the only acid solution I know of that will dissolve gold is aqua regia which is a mixture of hydrochloric and nitric acid. I am not sure of the standard acid resist ink will resist this. Also, you will have to find a way to get your dissolved gold out of your acid when you are done. Platinum would be good too.

For very acid resistant metals like gold and platinum perhaps a selective electroplating method would produce a better image.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:06:18 PM

Check this site out

http://www.my-medical-id.com/product/Premium%20Medical%20ID%20Wallet%20Card

Good deal I think!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 12:12:49 AM

Pretty nice. But I wouldn't want to send the private key info to them in plain text. It's 99.9% likely they have no idea what it is but maybe some day they will and have records.

You could send a long passphrase that seeds the actual key. That seems less likely to be figured out. In fact you could ask them to sell you one that was made with an error for someone else (cheap! because throwaway). Then use that data to seed a key. Not very personalized though.

I could see using one of those army "dog tags". Isn't there places that make those as well?

edit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Military-Dog-Tags-Custom-Embossed-Stainless-GI-Identification-w-Silencers-/320792157109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab0b3dbb5

Crikey! That guy's sold over 2800 tags on that listing!

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:47:50 AM

Pretty nice. But I wouldn't want to send the private key info to them in plain text. It's 99.9% likely they have no idea what it is but maybe some day they will and have records.

You could send a long passphrase that seeds the actual key. That seems less likely to be figured out. In fact you could ask them to sell you one that was made with an error for someone else (cheap! because throwaway). Then use that data to seed a key. Not very personalized though.

I could see using one of those army "dog tags". Isn't there places that make those as well?

edit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Military-Dog-Tags-Custom-Embossed-Stainless-GI-Identification-w-Silencers-/320792157109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab0b3dbb5

Crikey! That guy's sold over 2800 tags on that listing!

I usually AES encrypt my private keys using a passphrase. Much better than a brain wallet in my opinion.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
HeavyMetal (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:29:41 AM

A brain wallet is never going to represent more than a tiny fraction of the available key space. If you want a key you can feel safe with for 20 years then you need a proper cryptographic random number based key and you need the "air gap" where the data never touched any hard drive or network adapter.

I create mine from an Ubuntu live CD on an old laptop that I have removed the wifi card and hard drive. I modified the live CD to have vanitygen and my printer drivers and a qrendcode and script that can create a wallet and print it.

The whole thing loads from the CD and is only stored in RAM.

I can be confident my code will not be guessed nor will it be discovered by some hacker. The problem is that paper does not last well, that is where the etched into metal came into my mind.
dree12
Legendary

Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:08:45 PM

A brain wallet is never going to represent more than a tiny fraction of the available key space. If you want a key you can feel safe with for 20 years then you need a proper cryptographic random number based key and you need the "air gap" where the data never touched any hard drive or network adapter.

I create mine from an Ubuntu live CD on an old laptop that I have removed the wifi card and hard drive. I modified the live CD to have vanitygen and my printer drivers and a qrendcode and script that can create a wallet and print it.

The whole thing loads from the CD and is only stored in RAM.

I can be confident my code will not be guessed nor will it be discovered by some hacker. The problem is that paper does not last well, that is where the etched into metal came into my mind.
A brain wallet can in theory represent as much of the key space as a computer can deterministically compute, which is far larger than anything needed.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:27:56 PM

I could see using one of those army "dog tags".

As long as you can find someone who will use mixed case... or possible find a vanity address generator that can enforce all caps?

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
HeavyMetal (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:50:24 PM

A brain wallet can in theory represent as much of the key space as a computer can deterministically compute, which is far larger than anything needed.

No, a brain wallet can only represent as much keyspace as a human can come up with. While hashing will produce an evenly distributed random looking key it was chosen from a subset of keys that humans work with.

I think you will find that people have trouble remembering passwords that come anywhere close to the full keyspace available to private keys.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:58:53 PM

I got an M-disk drive from Amazon using spendbitcoins.com.This is supposed to use a high power laser to etch the data into special rock-like DVDs .It should last a long time. The DVDs are readable by any conventional drive.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-WH12LS39K-Internal-Rewriter/dp/B00632U162/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

Hal Finney
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: