Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:16:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greece to adopt Bitcoin as currency  (Read 3793 times)
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:03:53 AM

Even though April fools joke, BTC, payments and buying is too complicated to become an currency in an country. How can an old grandma do transactions (buying food in the market) with BTC so easily as she can do with her paper money?

And even though I own Bitcoins, I am the guy who wants to hold his wealth in his hands and not as some digits on an paper. As I asked the bank 3 years ago about gold, they were going to give me gold on an savings book. I am the guy who wants to hold the gold bar in his hands. I dont want some paper that says "you have so much virtual gold on your account".
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:47:46 AM

Even though April fools joke, BTC, payments and buying is too complicated to become an currency in an country. How can an old grandma do transactions (buying food in the market) with BTC so easily as she can do with her paper money?

And even though I own Bitcoins, I am the guy who wants to hold his wealth in his hands and not as some digits on an paper. As I asked the bank 3 years ago about gold, they were going to give me gold on an savings book. I am the guy who wants to hold the gold bar in his hands. I dont want some paper that says "you have so much virtual gold on your account".
that is exactly the point, Bitcoin has a lot of homework to do before even thinking of mass adoption.
It is a long long road from here where we are atm.

this space is intentionally left blank
2015btcuser

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 01:26:18 PM

Why other people just take bitcoin as a joke Sad Bitcoin isn't a thing that is related to something bad. We should make it connected to some good things.
umairsaleem

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 01:59:43 PM

It's definitely a April 1st joke, that's not gonna happen, monetization is a big part of country right that is important as army, they will never abandon their right. Don't be serious.
Shiver

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:16:26 PM

April 1st joke aside, there's as much chance of a country adopting BTC as its national currency as there is of adopting Apple/Google/Msoft shares as it's currency, but that doesn't mean it won't become a popular investment just like the above shares.

It has so much more potential than any of those shares though.  It could creep through the financial soil like fungi, without being even noticeable from the surface.

MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:13:46 PM

April 1st joke aside, there's as much chance of a country adopting BTC as its national currency as there is of adopting Apple/Google/Msoft shares as it's currency, but that doesn't mean it won't become a popular investment just like the above shares.

It has so much more potential than any of those shares though.  It could creep through the financial soil like fungi, without being even noticeable from the surface.

At the time being though its use is so limited in terms of beign able to use it daily.  Yes there are big companies that use it, but how often do you need a new Dell?  or shop at overstock?  I mean yes it has potential, but for the time being its relatively worthless compared to these multi billion dollar companies stocks
2015btcuser

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:20:00 PM

No any response from Greece... It must be 100% a joke now.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 05:54:40 PM

At the time being though its use is so limited in terms of beign able to use it daily.  Yes there are big companies that use it, but how often do you need a new Dell?  or shop at overstock?  I mean yes it has potential, but for the time being its relatively worthless compared to these multi billion dollar companies stocks
Because its still mega new. But all it takes to accept bitcoin in your shop is
1) Getting an address
2) Printing the QR and putting it on the desk so people can scan it and pay you

DONE! How fucking amazing is that. Imagine all the paperwork you would need to start a business the traditional way.

Bitcoin is going to be such a fucking success that people is not even able to grasp what we are dealing with yet.
RWeItc

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 06:00:38 PM

It has so much more potential than any of those shares though.  It could creep through the financial soil like fungi, without being even noticeable from the surface.

At the time being though its use is so limited in terms of beign able to use it daily.  Yes there are big companies that use it, but how often do you need a new Dell?  or shop at overstock?  I mean yes it has potential, but for the time being its relatively worthless compared to these multi billion dollar companies stocks
1) Getting an address

DONE! How fucking amazing is that. Imagine all the paperwork you would need to start a business the traditional way.

Bitcoin is going to be such a fucking success that people is not even able to grasp what we are dealing with yet.

NO, stop lying.
First, your bitcoin will someday be hacked either from your server wallet or from your exchanger's account.
Second, you need an auto generation/confirm system to make different address for each client which lead you to point one.
Third, all the paperwork you need to do with shady exchangers are huge.
Fourth, just go accept fiat from bitpay like everyone else please.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:53:55 AM

Greek will not adopt bitcoin. You have to work to earn bitcoin, it cannot be printed.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:06:44 PM

It has so much more potential than any of those shares though.  It could creep through the financial soil like fungi, without being even noticeable from the surface.

At the time being though its use is so limited in terms of beign able to use it daily.  Yes there are big companies that use it, but how often do you need a new Dell?  or shop at overstock?  I mean yes it has potential, but for the time being its relatively worthless compared to these multi billion dollar companies stocks
1) Getting an address

NO, stop lying.
First, your bitcoin will someday be hacked either from your server wallet or from your exchanger's account.
Second, you need an auto generation/confirm system to make different address for each client which lead you to point one.
Third, all the paperwork you need to do with shady exchangers are huge.
Fourth, just go accept fiat from bitpay like everyone else please.

How im lying? You can make an address in a cold storage wallet in your house (will NOT get hacked), then use this public address to accept BTC on your shop. Whenever you need BTC get it out of your cold storage, whatever amount you need (just like having a safe with cash, and putting the money you need for the day in your wallet, in this case in your smartphone etc).
You can use a mixer after extracting money from your cold storage for more anonymity, before spending it or moving it elsewhere.
You don't need to rely on third parties. Bitpay doesn't need to be the new monopoly to accept payments, fuck that.
As for exchanges, there will be a day where you don't even need to convert to fiat because everything will be easily done thought BTC. If you still some fiat for whatever reason, you can get it using LocalBitcoins if you don't want any paperwork. Problem solved.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:13:34 PM

Greek will not adopt bitcoin. You have to work to earn bitcoin, it cannot be printed.

That is actually a very intelligent comment. The main problem would be how Greece would even adopt Bitcoin to begin with! I mean, they would have to get everyone to have a certain amount of BTC to get things going. I don't think this is feasible in any way, other than maybe the population deciding to only accept BTC.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:53:29 PM

That is actually a very intelligent comment. The main problem would be how Greece would even adopt Bitcoin to begin with! I mean, they would have to get everyone to have a certain amount of BTC to get things going. I don't think this is feasible in any way, other than maybe the population deciding to only accept BTC.
This is actually a global problem. Whenever I talk to people about Bitcoin they tell me "how to get them"? They can't fathom is just another currency, that it would be as stupid as saying, "how to get japanese yens"? or something like that.
They aren't interested if its not free money.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:41:14 PM

This is actually a global problem. Whenever I talk to people about Bitcoin they tell me "how to get them"? They can't fathom is just another currency, that it would be as stupid as saying, "how to get japanese yens"? or something like that.

I think their reluctance of paying money for BTC is due to the relatively high risk still associated with holding BTC. If you are traveling to Japan you are also effectively only exchanging your local money for Japanese Yen! Those Yens also don't just grow on trees or are being magically converted from USD or EUR...

Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:58:13 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-01/greek-finmin-greece-will-adopt-bitcoin-if-eurogroup-doesnt-give-us-deal

I think it would be a dreadful idea, and it will never happen, but that is pretty interesting that people in positions of power are actually thinking about adopting Bitcoin!

thats pity that it's still so far away from true
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 06:36:09 PM

I think their reluctance of paying money for BTC is due to the relatively high risk still associated with holding BTC. If you are traveling to Japan you are also effectively only exchanging your local money for Japanese Yen! Those Yens also don't just grow on trees or are being magically converted from USD or EUR...

People see BTC as an investment rather than a currency because of the promise of it's value skyrocketing in the future, which makes it more difficult to waste on frivolous stuff unlike fiats.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:58:43 PM

People see BTC as an investment rather than a currency because of the promise of it's value skyrocketing in the future, which makes it more difficult to waste on frivolous stuff unlike fiats.

I think the biggest problem for BTC acting as a currency is its high volatility, which can't be denied! Right now people are hesitant to spend their BTC they bought a a higher price - which is understandable. But I think people unfamiliar with BTC don't invest in it because they are afraid of losing their money. They don't know enough about Bitcoin.

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:11:13 PM

Yep, you guys are right... A state can't really go and adopt Bitcoin, they need to distribute the money somehow, and they can't do this with Bitcoin. Just think of it this way: A state may want to use Gold as money, but it doesn't have any reserves and is already bankrupt. How are they supposed to get their hands on the gold in the first place???

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:13:24 AM

Yep, you guys are right... A state can't really go and adopt Bitcoin, they need to distribute the money somehow, and they can't do this with Bitcoin. Just think of it this way: A state may want to use Gold as money, but it doesn't have any reserves and is already bankrupt. How are they supposed to get their hands on the gold in the first place???

Well, they could invest in a serious mining operation and use that money to distribute it.
Also jobs would get paid with BTC.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 08:10:57 AM

Well, they could invest in a serious mining operation and use that money to distribute it.
Also jobs would get paid with BTC.

If the cost of mining is higher than buying, then they should buy. The Greece is too hot.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: