Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:19:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What altcoins are good for bitcoin adoption?  (Read 1549 times)
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:42:24 PM

First of all, I don't think any of the newer & "better" technology coins will ever replace bitcoin and the 2.0 coins are way to difficult for the average person to understand, while 80% of the people I talk to still have no clue about bitcoin!

But I think the "niche" coins that serve a specific community actually lead people to bitcoin.

Doge has certainly done that with it's fun, easy to get started approach.
Gulden is doing that with it's building a niche market in the Netherlands
AppleByte is doing it with it's focus of supporting artists around the world.
And there may be more.

Most of these coins, even though they all have products & services you can spend the coins directly for, still need to be converted to BTC to be used in the broader economy.

I think all of them are good for bitcoin and serve a legitimate market in their own right.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:56:52 PM

Piggycoin, because it is designed to teach kids about crypto, naturally leading them to "graduate" into using bitcoin.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
dr1wealth

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:24:06 PM

Piggycoin, because it is designed to teach kids about crypto, naturally leading them to "graduate" into using bitcoin.
teach kids about crypto? uhmm i dont think its good when young people have affairs with money, especially with crypto when they can do whatever they want

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:48:25 PM

I don't think that there is any shitcoin, which is beneficial for bitcoin adoption. All they do is to cash in on Bitcoin's popularity, and fool people in to investing on them. None of the shitcoins have done any good for BTC.
o0‡0o

Activity: 227
Merit: 103

Have faith.

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:50:08 PM

What altcoins are good for bitcoin adoption?
none

Get used to it.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:12:56 PM

teach kids about crypto? uhmm i dont think its good when young people have affairs with money, especially with crypto when they can do whatever they want

The whole point of education is not just to teach a student that something exists, but the purpose of it and how it can be used well. At least, that is what education should cover.

To use an analogy, teaching a child about the existence of candy, without teaching them the downsides of too much consumption of candy, would be mis-educating them. But leaving the child to discover candy for themselves and then gorge on it unaware of the consequences would be even more likely to lead to a bad end.

You can do crypto education well or you can do it poorly, but if it is not done at all then what chance to we ultimately have of making crypto a success? Let's focus on figuring out how to do it well (there's an open field of opportunity at this point, or nearly so.)

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:14:20 PM

the only one that has done something good by bringing many new people to the cryptoworld, is doge, kudos to it, others are just trash clone
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:25:02 PM

I don't really think any altcoin is beneficial to Bitcoin adoption. Bitcoin is the door to other altcoins, tops, never the opposite I think. Even if you start fiddling with an altcoin before Bitcoin, it's because you've heard of Bitcoin first.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:40:48 PM

What's wrong with teaching them with Bitcoin directly?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:48:22 PM

Why not go straight into adopting bitcoins rather than using other altcoins? As far as I can see, there are no altcoins in history that had been beneficial for bitcoins. Huh
amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:49:55 PM

bitcoin don't need at the moment adoption by any alt coin, other alt coin need bitcoin because bitcoin is the father of all altcoin.
Digitalpawn

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:50:25 PM

I think Dogecoin helps it, its a friendly way to get people into crypto, the community is nice, the coin is fun.

I don't know why people think its Dogecoin vs Bitcoin.
Havelivi

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:56:02 PM

I think Dogecoin helps it, its a friendly way to get people into crypto, the community is nice, the coin is fun.

bitcoin has much big community and adoption than compare with doge, so in my opinion bitcoin do not need any alt coin for its adoption.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:33:56 PM

bitcoin has much big community and adoption than compare with doge, so in my opinion bitcoin do not need any alt coin for its adoption.

True. Tbh, there isn't much of a competition between Dogecoin and bitcoin. Dogecoin is meant to be a not-so serious coin after all, whereas, bitcoin is designed to be the currency of the future because of its innovative technology. Imo, bitcoin can still see worldwide adoption even without the help of other altcoins. It's just a matter of good pr and any other good stuffs relating to/related to bitcoin.
First.Bitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1156

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 08:11:06 PM

I think AppleByte does exactly what Doge has done (by making it easy) and AppleByte by bringing non-techie artists into the crypto fold.

Founding Dev of ArtByte, the crypto supporting the arts, started in NYC - May 1, 2014 ArtByte.me
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:12:37 PM

What's wrong with teaching them with Bitcoin directly?

Nothing really. But it may be less intimidating for children and families and schools to have one that is "branded" for the purpose and has a friendlier front-end, so to speak, for children. (Cf. https://www.piggy-coin.com/)  Not to mention it avoids some of the baggage that some teachers or parents might associate with bitcoin.

It's kind of like using plastic coins and dollars bills to teach about money as opposed to the real thing. Nothing seriously wrong with using the real thing, but it may be more practical to use the play money in a sandbox environment.

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:24:17 PM

GetGems, i have had people joining Bitcoin that never heard of it through GetGems, worlds first messaging app that pays users and makes using bitcoin as easy as it gets, airdrop beta is live now.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:35:48 PM

Doge is the one that pops up regularly when people talk about how they found crypto. Even if it turns to dust, it'll still have played a role in furthering everything.

Other than that, I can't see much that has brought in fresh folks. Apps like changetip are far more important than an alternate currency.
Alty

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:39:52 PM

Altcoins are a good experimental bed for features that Bitcoin could look to adopt if it needed to.
Bitcoin Buyer Reload

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:42:47 PM

whats the best alt coins?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: