Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:20:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Seeks 'Invasive' Details on US Bitcoin Mining Operations  (Read 2035 times)
Coinbuddy (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:33:13 AM

Coinbase's compliance office is seeking to acquire operational information from bitcoin mining companies in a process that some of the sector's businesses are framing as an infringement on their trade secrets.

MegaBigPower (MBP) and Bitmain report that Coinbase has asked for detailed information regarding their mining facilities, requesting time-stamped photographs and videos of mining facilities and details about the origin of the hardware the companies operate.

READ HERE: http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-seeks-details-us-bitcoin-mining/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Albert Hamilton

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:37:23 AM

Simplest solution I see is stop using CoinBase and shift to direct trading exchanges like www.LocalBitcoins.com or www.100bit.co.in.
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:40:33 AM

Simplest solution I see is stop using CoinBase and shift to direct trading exchanges like www.LocalBitcoins.com or www.100bit.co.in.

+1

The more regulations try to hinder normal businesses, the more people will shift to these direct trading exchanges.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:24:18 PM

Coinbase's compliance office is seeking to acquire operational information from bitcoin mining companies in a process that some of the sector's businesses are framing as an infringement on their trade secrets.

MegaBigPower (MBP) and Bitmain report that Coinbase has asked for detailed information regarding their mining facilities, requesting time-stamped photographs and videos of mining facilities and details about the origin of the hardware the companies operate.

READ HERE: http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-seeks-details-us-bitcoin-mining/

I don't know. Everytime I read sentences like :"The reason we ask for this information is for consumer protection."
my alarm bells start to ring.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:06:32 PM

The U.S. government is shutting down localbitcoins with sting operations and now it's demanding U.S. based exchanges find out info on large mining operations. What's the next step, all U.S. ISPs must use promiscuous mode packet sniffers to identify Bitcoin nodes? Give them enough time and America can figure out a way to fuck up a wet dream.

NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:16:04 PM

The U.S. government is shutting down localbitcoins with sting operations and now it's demanding U.S. based exchanges find out info on large mining operations. What's the next step, all U.S. ISPs must use promiscuous mode packet sniffers to identify Bitcoin nodes? Give them enough time and America can figure out a way to fuck up a wet dream.

You say sting operations, are you implying that local bitcoin trading is unauthorised, at least in the us?

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:25:44 PM

You say sting operations, are you implying that local bitcoin trading is unauthorised, at least in the us?

Well they're putting people in prison for it, so yeah, I guess it's unauthorized.

See: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.0

And: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462846.0

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 02:48:32 PM

Shocking: A financial business is requesting information about their customers

Like seriously: What do you expect? Even without AML/KYC laws: there's something called financial risk management which involves gathering information about customers and closing accounts of high risk customers.

NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:52:54 PM

Well they're putting people in prison for it, so yeah, I guess it's unauthorized.

See: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.0

And: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462846.0

From what i understand, it only impacts people trading over $5k (money laundering) or deliberately accepting an exchange with groups who will continue to commit crybercrimes. Well, I thought it applied to everyone

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:58:40 PM

Shocking: A financial business is requesting information about their customers

Like seriously: What do you expect? Even without AML/KYC laws: there's something called financial risk management which involves gathering information about customers and closing accounts of high risk customers.

Well then please enumerate those risks not associated with violating AML/KYC rules that an exchange could face from not knowing it's customers' source of funds. My bank did not even ask those kinds of questions when I opened a business account for a shell LLC that I set up for myself.
chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 03:10:53 PM

Well then please enumerate those risks not associated with violating AML/KYC rules that an exchange could face from not knowing it's customers' source of funds.

Fraud / Defaulting. If you know your customer has funds in a high risk business you just shut him down.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 03:21:12 PM

Well then please enumerate those risks not associated with violating AML/KYC rules that an exchange could face from not knowing it's customers' source of funds.

Fraud / Defaulting. If you know your customer has funds in a high risk business you just shut him down.

I am a little older and I remember the days when financial institutions did not care about the source of funds as long as their own interests were adequately protected. Think of Swiss banks up to the 70's or early 80's. There is no reason to shut down a "high risk" customer, such as a drug kingpin, if you were not forced to by the government.
chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 03:53:20 PM

I am a little older and I remember the days when financial institutions did not care about the source of funds as long as their own interests were adequately protected. Think of Swiss banks up to the 70's or early 80's. There is no reason to shut down a "high risk" customer, such as a drug kingpin, if you were not forced to by the government.

1. Coinbase is a startup - they don't have billions to cover potential losses

2. You had to actually visit the bank - even if you had a numbered bank account your face was filmed every single time - on the internet it's more difficult to know who you are dealing with. Especially in Bitcoin it's important to know about your trading partners.

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:16:52 PM

"High risk" in whose eyes and by what measures? What a moral quagmire!

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" as a business mantra? Sellers should have no "shut him down" leverage over buyers in a free market, imho.

Demanding payment before delivery is the time-honoured way to avoid seller risk. Nothing wrong with that, I suggest, especially if the customer can deal with a competitor if he finds the terms too onerous.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:23:28 PM

1. Coinbase is a startup - they don't have billions to cover potential losses

2. You had to actually visit the bank - even if you had a numbered bank account your face was filmed every single time - on the internet it's more difficult to know who you are dealing with. Especially in Bitcoin it's important to know about your trading partners.

So you believe the guys at Coinbase got a wild idea to start fucking with their customers and said one day, hey let's make every mining farm customer send us photos of their setup with detailed information or we close their account and never exchange anymore Bitcoin for them? 

The government must have demanded the information. Most Bitcoin users I know would never ask for that kind of info and would have told the government to fuck off unless they were threatened. AML/KYC doesn't mean you need your customers cock size. It means you need to have verified their identity. 

chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 05:01:35 PM

QuestionAuthority: http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Your-Paranoia

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:05:24 PM

Stupid answer!
chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 05:23:25 PM

Stupid answer!

His posts indicate serious issues. What exactly is stupid about suggesting to seek help?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:31:11 PM

Dude can't you see the reason for the government wanting to see the equipment. Is not paranoid, it's as plainly visible as the nose on your face.

Let's say one of these mining farms are turning in $2 million dollars a month for exchange to fiat. Coinbase has a reporting requirement so they notify the government. The little poorly paid agent functionary wants to know if they are turning in the proceeds of drug sales to convert or if they actually have the equipment to mine $2 million a month in Bitcoins. He notifies Coinbase to send a letter to them requesting a detailed inventory of equipment to verify the ability to mine that much. Coinbase says, I'm not doing that, that's your job mr. agent. Mr. Agent says, so your tired of having a business license. Ok, I can fix that and remove your license.

If the mining farms are smart and honestly turning in mined Bitcoins they would comply after making Coinbase sign a confidentiality agreement to not make their special mining system public. If they are criminals selling I'll gotten gains they will fight it until guys in blue wind breakers bust down their front door.

chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 05:45:42 PM

Dude can't you see the reason for the government wanting to see the equipment. Is not paranoid, it's as plainly visible as the nose on your face.

Many people criticize politicians, but your posts are telling me that you're assuming that your government is always evil - completely ignoring the fact that all of them are humans just like you.  That's what paranoia is: trust issues. Of course you don't believe me that you could need help, because you don't trust me either.

Sorry for this off-topic discussion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: