Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S4 - dropping connection  (Read 1157 times)
Larryag99 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 05:49:50 PM

Hello All;

I have 3 Antminer S4's.  (Specs below)  S4 #3 is having problems (other 2 functioning fine).  Was hashing fine, then started showing a very low hash rate on the pool stats, in spite of the miner showing normal hash rate on both the miner digital readout, and on the stats page of the admin GUI.  Given that in troubleshooting the issue I have difficulties connecting to the unit via browser interface, I suspect it may be having connection issues, causing a low hash rate.

I have changed out the network cable, and reset the machine to default settings via the reset button.  Rebooted numerous times, all efforts have failed.  I have downloaded the update software, however the manual doesn't go into detail on how exactly to preform the update.  The questions I have are... which file to load (there is the downloaded "initramfs.bin.SD-20150129.tar.gz" file), then I assumed that needed to be unziped, so I did, then there was the "tftp.tar" file, so I unzipped that to reveal 4 more files: initramfs.bin.SD, runme.sh, u-boot.img, and uImage.bin.  I don't know which of the file to load.

Also, once I know which file to load, I was concerned that if its losing network connection, what will losing network connection during the upload, or "Flash Image" operation do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Larry

Hardware Version   3.4.3.0
Kernel Version   Linux 3.8.13 #12 SMP Mon Sep 29 11:13:50 CST 2014
File System Version   Fri Oct 3 18:17:17 CST 2014
Cgminer Version   4.6.1
Uptime   1:50
Load Average   2.07, 2.13, 2.13
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 06:19:23 PM

Please use the most recent S4 firmware.  Your system uses firmware from October of 2014.

https://bitmaintech.com/files/download/initramfs.bin.SD-20150129.tar.gz

Hello All;

I have 3 Antminer S4's.  (Specs below)  S4 #3 is having problems (other 2 functioning fine).  Was hashing fine, then started showing a very low hash rate on the pool stats, in spite of the miner showing normal hash rate on both the miner digital readout, and on the stats page of the admin GUI.  Given that in troubleshooting the issue I have difficulties connecting to the unit via browser interface, I suspect it may be having connection issues, causing a low hash rate.

I have changed out the network cable, and reset the machine to default settings via the reset button.  Rebooted numerous times, all efforts have failed.  I have downloaded the update software, however the manual doesn't go into detail on how exactly to preform the update.  The questions I have are... which file to load (there is the downloaded "initramfs.bin.SD-20150129.tar.gz" file), then I assumed that needed to be unziped, so I did, then there was the "tftp.tar" file, so I unzipped that to reveal 4 more files: initramfs.bin.SD, runme.sh, u-boot.img, and uImage.bin.  I don't know which of the file to load.

Also, once I know which file to load, I was concerned that if its losing network connection, what will losing network connection during the upload, or "Flash Image" operation do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Larry

Kernel Version   Linux 3.8.13 #12 SMP Mon Sep 29 11:13:50 CST 2014
File System Version   Fri Oct 3 18:17:17 CST 2014
Cgminer Version   4.6.1
Uptime   1:50
Load Average   2.07, 2.13, 2.13

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:23:41 PM

That's the same file I just downloaded from the Bitmain site.  Do I use that file as is, or does it need to be unzipped?  AND... do you think it will have an affect on the issue I'm having ?
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:32:24 PM

It comes zipped.  Unzip to folder then search through ant gui firmware update for the tar.gz file.
Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:47:40 PM

OK... I think I got it flashed.  New specs below.  However, still hashing very low on pool dashboard, in spite of the miner stats page showing otherwise.
S4#2 hashing @ 2008
S4#3 hashing @ 181

Kernel Version   Linux 3.8.13 #22 SMP Tue Dec 2 15:26:11 CST 2014
File System Version   Thu Jan 29 20:48:50 CST 2015
Cgminer Version   4.8.0
Uptime   3
Load Average   1.39, 0.63, 0.24
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 06:53:57 PM

What pool do you use?

OK... I think I got it flashed.  New specs below.  However, still hashing very low on pool dashboard, in spite of the miner stats page showing otherwise.
S4#2 hashing @ 2008
S4#3 hashing @ 181

Kernel Version   Linux 3.8.13 #22 SMP Tue Dec 2 15:26:11 CST 2014
File System Version   Thu Jan 29 20:48:50 CST 2015
Cgminer Version   4.8.0
Uptime   3
Load Average   1.39, 0.63, 0.24

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:00:38 PM

Bitcoin Affiliate Network.  I tried posting a graphic but couldn't seem to get that to work.  Clicked the graphic button, and tried to paste an image between the Image tags, then tried copying the file between the tags and no go for both.

Also, network connection seems to be marginally better, but still nowhere near right.  Other miners functioning fine still ( I flashed them also just for good measure).
Meech

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 08:12:51 PM

Check to see if all your network settings are the same.  Dns and such.  Also check to make sure your workers aren't the same.  Some sites allow for same worker.  Do you use a static ip?
Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 09:41:19 PM

Check to see if all your network settings are the same.  Dns and such.  Also check to make sure your workers aren't the same.  Some sites allow for same worker.  Do you use a static ip?

The only thing that is in "Network Setting" tab is: hostname = antminer, and protocal = DHCP.  The rest of the fields on that screen are blank.  This is the setting for the other 2 S4's also, and has been like that since they were set up over 3 months ago.  Again, other 2 miners working fine (as this one was before I noticed a significant slowing of the hash rate starting a few days ago). 

I have my workers set up as *S41, *S42, and *S43, to represent miner 1, miner 2, and miner 3.  It's miner #3 I'm having problems with.  I still think it has something to do with network issues within the miner itself.  I can connect to the other 2 miners at will, but that 3rd. miner is hit and miss on connecting to it, and mostly misses.  Sometime it takes multiple tries before it will connect, then it will cut out and throw a timeout error while I'm on one of the admin screens.  However, all 3 miners are connected to the same network switch, and as I mentioned earlier, I have changed out the network cable, and moved the 3rd miner to another open port, but nothing changed.  I think it has to be something in the miner dropping the connection.  Anyone know if something like that is repairable ?  Is there some sort of network card in there that may be replaceable?  Does anyone know what to change out as a test ?  I could pull a board out of one of the good miners and stick it in miner #3 to see if that resolves the problem... if I knew which board to pull.

Thanks...
Meech

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 10:22:12 PM

Check Miner status page and verify all your asic chips are functioning.  This will be displayed with the lines " ooooooo oooooo oooooooo.  If any show an x or - try rebooting.
Meech

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 10:49:38 PM

I believe you have an ip conflict.  Try running your miners with a static ip. ( Dhcp is bad because everytime your phone or tablet or pc connect to your network when away or off your router tries to assign a new one.  With lots of devices your router can get confused. )  This is example of my settings assumes your home router is ip 192.168.1.1 but if it's not then change yours accordingly ie. 192.168.2.1  Set to static, add netmask and gateway / dns settings.  Apply.  Set your new static ip's just outside of dhcp range.  Mine start at 201 then 202 and so on.  This way your router will never conflict with ip's changing on your network.

Changing this helps easily remember your ip's for rigs to check them at will instead of being random.

Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:57:21 AM

I believe you have an ip conflict.  Try running your miners with a static ip. ( Dhcp is bad because everytime your phone or tablet or pc connect to your network when away or off your router tries to assign a new one.  With lots of devices your router can get confused. )  This is example of my settings assumes your home router is ip 192.168.1.1 but if it's not then change yours accordingly ie. 192.168.2.1  Set to static, add netmask and gateway / dns settings.  Apply.  Set your new static ip's just outside of dhcp range.  Mine start at 201 then 202 and so on.  This way your router will never conflict with ip's changing on your network.

https://i.imgur.com/AtRD3Bh.jpg

Changing this helps easily remember your ip's for rigs to check them at will instead of being random.

Yes, when miner #3 did connect, I had all zero's on all four lines, and it indicated a normal hashing rate, as listed in the Summary section at the top of the page (until I refreshed the page and it lost connection again).  As far as the settings, the unit is off now but first thing in the morning I will use settings similar to your suggestion, tailored to my network of course.  Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll post results tomorrow morning.

And BTW... how does one get a graphic in a post???  Some boards you have to upload the graphic first, then reference the address.  I didn't see anything like that here.
Meech

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:26:37 AM

You upload your pics to something like imgur.com which I prefer.  They have preset links set ie. BBCode (message boards & forums).  Just copy and paste into text box.  Otherwise copy and paste your pic using the toolbars above the form and inserting your online address image.
HTH Wink
Larryag99 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:16:19 AM

You upload your pics to something like imgur.com which I prefer.  They have preset links set ie. BBCode (message boards & forums).  Just copy and paste into text box.  Otherwise copy and paste your pic using the toolbars above the form and inserting your online address image.
HTH Wink

Well... a good nights sleep, for both me and the miner in question, and after resetting the settings to reflect static IP's (on all machines)... we have success.  An acceptable hash rate has been holding strong on the machine #3 for over an hour now, which I think, equates to success.  So, sometimes good things come out of bad... ALL miners now have updated firmware, and all have static IP's.  Static IP's sure make it nice when trying to find them if changes are needed, not to mention apparently making some of them work better.

Meech... you da man !!!

And, hopefully the instructions you provided about graphics prove fruitful also, in that I have included a graphic in this post.

Again... many thanks !

https://i.imgur.com/Q3QgpBA.jpg
Meech

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:15:29 PM

Your welcome.  Happy to relieve some stress.  Good Luck.
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 11:33:27 PM

@Meech & Larryag99

THANK YOU!!  Glad to hear it is up and hashing

Your welcome.  Happy to relieve some stress.  Good Luck.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: