Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:49:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Slashdot effect suck balls these days.  (Read 3576 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:55:31 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2012, 03:10:20 PM by Vladimir

2 articles featuring Bitcoin on front page of slashdot.org . As Matthew told me privately "slahsdotters will be furious about this".

However, one of those articles features a link to an old article about MintChip on bitcoinmagazine website. I must note that I am very disappointed by "slashdot effect" I can observe. Direct link to http://bitcoinmagazine.net from front page of slashdot.org and we could easily handle 1000 and even 10000 times stronger slashdot effect.

It seems, that bunch of Bitcoin haters are getting rather irrelevant these days.

-
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:00:35 PM

I originally heard about bitcoin from slashdot, so it doesn't piss off everyone.  When you say slashdot effect are you talking about the number of hits to your website from slashdot?  thanks.

Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:11:32 PM

I suspect slashdot users are sick of hearing about bitcoin so they ignore those stories.  They had plenty of earlier articles, and if the users aren't following bitcoin by now, they don't care.

I heard about bitcoin from slashdot (around Nov 2010 and Feb 2011), but since then, slashdot decreased in quality and I stopped reading it every day.
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:14:12 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2012, 03:34:45 PM by Vladimir

I originally heard about bitcoin from slashdot, so it doesn't piss off everyone.  When you say slashdot effect are you talking about the number of hits to your website from slashdot?  thanks.

In old days, various websites regularly went down once mentioned on front page of slashdot.org due rather significant and sudden increase of visitors/hits. This was called "slashdot effect" i.e. many links on slashdot being dead because the websites referred could not handle the load. (probably because poorly configured apache on weak servers when handling explosive load).

perhaps better explanation is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect (I did not read it)

-
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:17:31 PM

I originally heard about bitcoin from slashdot, so it doesn't piss off everyone.  When you say slashdot effect are you talking about the number of hits to your website from slashdot?  thanks.

In old days, various websites regularly went down once mentioned on front page of slashdot.org due rather significant and sudden increase of visitors/hits. This is what was called "slashdot effect" i.e. many links on slashdot being dead because the websites referred could not handle the load. (probably because poorly configured apache on weak servers sucks when handling explosive load).

perhaps better explanation is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect (I did not read it)

To be fair, generally the Slashdot Effect only took down shared hosting plans.  If you're on any decent VPS server (or almost any dedicated server) you can easily handle the traffic from Slashdot articles.  Everytime I can recall people saying a story had been taken down by Slashdot (or digg, or reddit), it was generally responding with some kind of hostgator/bluehost/godaddy error page once it came back online.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:32:36 PM

eleuthria, fair point. However, by "old days" we perhaps refer to slightly different old days. I, for example, distinctly remember some websites updating their dedicated servers to cope with slashdot effect.

-
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:34:05 PM

Ok, cool.  thanks for the explanation guys.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 03:36:07 PM

In old days, various websites regularly went down once mentioned on front page of slashdot.org due rather significant and sudden increase of visitors/hits. This is what was called "slashdot effect" i.e. many links on slashdot being dead because the websites referred could not handle the load. (probably because poorly configured apache on weak servers sucks when handling explosive load).

To be fair, generally the Slashdot Effect only took down shared hosting plans.  If you're on any decent VPS server (or almost any dedicated server) you can easily handle the traffic from Slashdot articles.  Everytime I can recall people saying a story had been taken down by Slashdot (or digg, or reddit), it was generally responding with some kind of hostgator/bluehost/godaddy error page once it came back online.

Actually the slashdot effect mostly hurt internally hosted websites where the connection may have been a few T1's.  It is usually lack of  bandwidth that causes the problems not server load (unless you are running windows server).

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 03:38:57 PM

2 articles featuring Bitcoin on front page of slashdot.org . As Matthew told me privately "slahsdotters will be furious about this".

However, one of those articles features a link to an old article about MintChip on bitcoinmagazine website. I must note that I am very disappointed by "slashdot effect" I can observe. Direct link to http://bitcoinmagazine.net from front page of slashdot.org and we could easily handle 1000 and even 10000 times stronger slashdot effect.

It seems, that bunch of Bitcoin haters are getting rather irrelevant these days.

From the last article about the bitcoinica lawsuit, the tone of the comments was actually much better.  There were still plenty of haters, but the bitcoin supporters were less then 1 in 10.  Now for every call of 'its a ponzi' there is some reason discussion about the brilliance of bitcoin and the lack of financial censorship. 

I am sure that many of the haters have all bitcoin articles blocked as well. 

defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:40:52 PM

eleuthria, fair point. However, by "old days" we perhaps refer to slightly different old days. I, for example, distinctly remember some websites updating their dedicated servers to cope with slashdot effect.

Ah the old days. My /. uid is ~100000 - I was late to the party. For many years getting Slashdotted meant your connection would go down - and they themselves had a pretty big pipe. When 9/11 happened and a lot of big websites went down due to traffic (CNN.com IIRC) Slashdot was the only site that was continuously updated.

It's quite fun reading comments on Bitcoin on Slashdot. Most of them reek with hurt geek superiority, i.e, "Since I didn't get it from the beginning I will now hate it".

Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:49:31 PM

Actually the slashdot effect mostly hurt internally hosted websites where the connection may have been a few T1's.  It is usually lack of  bandwidth that causes the problems not server load (unless you are running windows server).

Actually, unlike me, you probably refer not to websites in late 90's on some typical dedi with Intel Pentium III with humongous 256 Mb of RAM and preforked apache with 10-20 threads going swapping and DB's going crazy on higher loads without enough RAM. (my memory is fuzzy on exact details).

-
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:53:08 PM

Ah the old days. My /. uid is ~100000 - I was late to the party. For many years getting Slashdotted meant your connection would go down - and they themselves had a pretty big pipe. When 9/11 happened and a lot of big websites went down due to traffic (CNN.com IIRC) Slashdot was the only site that was continuously updated.

Of course, it was written in perl and pretty well optimised on all levels. Unlike typical monstrous contraptions, often on IIS that most corporations run.

I remember, I was at work at NOC for some ISP when 9/11 happened. Internet basically went down for a few minutes because of huge traffic spike which got coupled with loss of some significant routers. It took about an hour for the internet to recover.

-
JupeB

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 04:22:13 PM

I used to read Slashdot every day in high school; now I'm lucky to visit it twice a year. That, coupled with better server resources and more bandwidth probably killed the Slashdot effect.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:56:34 PM

Maybe "slashdot effect" was a name invented by slashdot to make them self-important, alà "we are so big and important that when we make an article, sites linked there go down due to so many visites"  Cheesy

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:20:37 PM

Maybe "slashdot effect" was a name invented by slashdot to make them self-important, alà "we are so big and important that when we make an article, sites linked there go down due to so many visites"  Cheesy

Nope.  Even bitcoin.org was essentially DDoS'd multiple times due to those Slashdot stories.  (though sometimes there were real DDoS attacks at the same time).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:48:21 PM

Maybe "slashdot effect" was a name invented by slashdot to make them self-important, alà "we are so big and important that when we make an article, sites linked there go down due to so many visites"  Cheesy
It was a name invented by Slashdot and it was a real effect. That effect was far more common about 10 years ago than it is now. Back in the early 2000s a mention on the Slashdot front page would regularly bring down unprepared web servers. Note the date on this article: http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2004/10/65165p

At one time there was a Firefox plugin that would automatically add Google Cache, Coral Cache and Mirrordot links to each URL published on Slashdot so that people could still read the original article after the server publishing it had crashed.
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:55:45 PM

Are there any estimates for number of hits that are received as a result? (as in, pageloads per second)

Just curious whether my server would be prepared...

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

It is my impression that every time bitcoin is mentioned on Slashdot, it receives a lot of negative comments.

This surprises me a little, as when there's political issues presented, there are usually a lot of insightful and interesting comments, and a lot of them is kind of libertarian.

So not sure about the hostile attitude towards bitcoin from the slashdot community.

Anyone got a theory about it ?
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:17:22 PM

It is my impression that every time bitcoin is mentioned on Slashdot, it receives a lot of negative comments.

This surprises me a little, as when there's political issues presented, there are usually a lot of insightful and interesting comments, and a lot of them is kind of libertarian.

So not sure about the hostile attitude towards bitcoin from the slashdot community.

Anyone got a theory about it ?

I told a senior Linux system administrator at my work about Bitcoin (thinking he would be really interested in it), but he was actually really turned off by it. I think in order to for someone to be interested in Bitcoin and not be repelled by it, they have to have some kind of economic understanding of the potential, and they have to be a bit more open minded than most. It is not just a technical understanding that is necessary, that's for sure. If you don't have the economic understanding of Bitcoin's potential, it will just seem like another scheme.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:25:52 PM

In old days, various websites regularly went down once mentioned on front page of slashdot.org due rather significant and sudden increase of visitors/hits. This was called "slashdot effect" i.e. many links on slashdot being dead because the websites referred could not handle the load. (probably because poorly configured apache on weak servers when handling explosive load).

I remember on ZDTV (back when it existed) on the Screen Savers with Leo Laporte, he would frequently tell callers that they would add an address to the show notes and email a copy to them because if they mentioned it on the air, the site would probably go down. Hehe. Good old days.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: