Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:40:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is mining worth it nowadays?  (Read 1960 times)
Tabata11 (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 03:58:07 PM

So getting the S6 in a few months wouldn't be worth it? I was told I can get roi in less than 3 months. And yes, I can use unlimited amount of electricity for a flat rate because I live in a student housing.
HiTmanSql

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:14:58 PM

So getting the S6 in a few months wouldn't be worth it? I was told I can get roi in less than 3 months. And yes, I can use unlimited amount of electricity for a flat rate because I live in a student housing.

i dont know about the stud housing, but if they see one room consuming way too much electricity they will come for a check i think
Totaldice

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:41:36 PM

I get a flat rate for electricity here because my rent includes all the utility. So I was thinking of mining on my own to acquire more bitcoins. Is investing in a lot of money worth it to acquire some bitcoins? Also, how much money do I need to have to set up a decent mining system.
With the difficulty increasing and the block size to be halved again next year, in your position, I would really think about what you're getting into and use some ROI calculators and then think how much you really want to invest. Honestly, I started mining more to improve my understanding of crypto as a whole compared to just doing it for profit. In any case, I'd recommend that you rent some miners instead of buying, and if you do, mine some altcoins and hope they go up in value. Hope this helps.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:04:02 PM

I get a flat rate for electricity here because my rent includes all the utility. So I was thinking of mining on my own to acquire more bitcoins. Is investing in a lot of money worth it to acquire some bitcoins? Also, how much money do I need to have to set up a decent mining system.

Pick up a couple used miners and start mining, it's fun!  You don't need to spend much, you could get set up with an S1+psu for like $60.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:07:19 PM

Pick up a couple used miners and start mining, it's fun!  You don't need to spend much, you could get set up with an S1+psu for like $60.

Personally I would suggest a little newer.  As old as I would go is S3.   Get onne or a pair of those and start there with "free" elctricity.

Also be aware a few machines and your landlord will know something is going on.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 12:48:38 AM

Even if you manage to get all the electricity for free, you have to think about setting up and then maintaining the mining equipment. So ask yourself, you are there just for the money or purely for fun or for educational purpose. If it's the latter then by all means go for it.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:54:55 AM

Even if you manage to get all the electricity for free, you have to think about setting up and then maintaining the mining equipment. So ask yourself, you are there just for the money or purely for fun or for educational purpose. If it's the latter then by all means go for it.

Setting up equipment anymore is not to hard.  Most your talking 15 minutes if that.  It's far from the day's when GPU days you had tons of time tuning in.  And maintaining I do agree you have to do some.  But compared to GPU day's it's nothing.   

I would say base it off your electricity price and make sure to do ROI math.
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 02:19:10 AM

Nah dont do it, it needs alot of investment , which may or may not return. The competition is so big now that only big miners could come out with a profit, like those who purchase an entire stadium size area full of ASICS.

Of course you could perhaps mine altcoins with low difficulty, but thats a gamble as you dont know which one will suceeed and wich one will lose.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
mrhelpful
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:22:31 PM

Mining is only worth it, if you buy it with the form of security.

Knowing that operator is taking all the risk, with hosting facility, electricity and everything else needs. And also allows a traditional form of payment like accepting credit cards, so if shit happens you know you can do a charge back.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:06:55 PM

yes it is! you just need to do it smarter cause it's much harder than before

look for:

cheap electricity
     -good hosting or good friends...
cheap miners
     -bulk buy or being at the right time on the ''buy button''
use of the heat
    -perfect for winter time! heated water from c1 or miner edge, if they come to market, for showers, washing machines, sinks, jacuzzi, swimming pools, etc)

good luck!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:13:08 PM

look for:

cheap electricity
cheap miners
use of the heat
    -perfect for winter time! heated water from c1 or miner edge, if they come to market, for showers, washing machines, sinks, jacuzzi, swimming pools, etc)

good luck!

Has anyone actually done "heated water from c1 or miner edge, if they come to market, for showers, washing machines, sinks, jacuzzi, swimming pools, etc" Just seems like cost to set up would be expensive.   And with not being able to count on watercooled miners being made seems like you could loose some money if you set up properly on some of those ideas.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:11:25 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2015, 06:02:47 AM by Amph

look for:

cheap electricity
cheap miners
use of the heat

good luck!

we are at the point were even with free electricity you won't roi, so no it's not profitable at least for 99% of people

the only way to make profit in mining right now is by having free electricity and already made roi on your miners, in other words, you should not invest
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:21:36 PM

look for:

cheap electricity
cheap miners
use of the heat

good luck!

we are at the point were even with free electricity you won't roi, so no it's not profitable at least for 99% of people)

the only way to make profit in mining right now is by having free electricity and already made roi on your miners, in other work, you should not invest

A think there are still some with cheap electricity and underclocking that can ROI.  The method I follow is mine with it on high, eventually look into underclock.  Mine till i feel the miner would be better off sold to someone with cheaper or "free" electricity and sell the miner.  It works for those with low electricity cost, and no VAT.  And if you have equipment such as PSU's etc from former miners you owned.

But I do agree BTC is currently so low buying is a very attractive option.   Which for some will be better off. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: