Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:12:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to move a wallet from blockchain.info?  (Read 1804 times)
desertfox470 (OP)

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:30:02 AM

Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this. As many of you know CLAM is at a pretty good price right now. I have multiple wallets which is eligible for clams, but they are all on blockchain.info. Is there an easy way to get a wallet.dat from the wallets online? For clams you have to import the wallet.dat. I do not have the whole blockchain downloaded, and really don't want to download the 30 GB which is the block chain. Thank you to anyone that can help me. Thanks
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:44:17 AM

Look into lite wallets.  There are some that do not require the blockchain.  You can move the wallet file to most of the wallets from blockchain.

Or you can start over send to the new address.  Make sure to have it as cold storage and encrypt the file.
desertfox470 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:13:25 AM

Look into lite wallets.  There are some that do not require the blockchain.  You can move the wallet file to most of the wallets from blockchain.

Or you can start over send to the new address.  Make sure to have it as cold storage and encrypt the file.
I have done so. I cannot find the wallet.dat's though on the lite wallets. I need the old wallet.dat's in order to claim the clam.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:21:49 AM

I have done so. I cannot find the wallet.dat's though on the lite wallets. I need the old wallet.dat's in order to claim the clam.

I've never had to do this as I don't use the online for much storage.   But I found this on moving the wallet: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/24978/how-to-import-old-wallet-to-multibit

Keep in mind treating wallet file or private key like gold.  I suggest making a backup usb or paperwallet.  And if you keep it on computer make sure to encrypt.
desertfox470 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:30:15 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2015, 01:40:17 AM by desertfox470

Look into lite wallets.  There are some that do not require the blockchain.  You can move the wallet file to most of the wallets from blockchain.

Or you can start over send to the new address.  Make sure to have it as cold storage and encrypt the file.

I've never had to do this as I don't use the online for much storage.   But I found this on moving the wallet: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/24978/how-to-import-old-wallet-to-multibit

Keep in mind treating wallet file or private key like gold.  I suggest making a backup usb or paperwallet.  And if you keep it on computer make sure to encrypt.
Yes I know. I no longer have a need for the wallets. (They don't have any funds in them). Thanks, but I have already tried multibit, and it does not produce a wallet.dat from what I can see.

EDIT: I have solved this issue. For anyone with future reference I opened up bitcoin-qt. I then went to the console. From there I typed in importprivkey "privkey". I then waited a couple of minutes and the wallet.dat showed up. I thought I was going to have to wait for the whole blockchain to download. Sorry to everyone who may have wasted their time.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 02:37:59 AM

EDIT: I have solved this issue. For anyone with future reference I opened up bitcoin-qt. I then went to the console. From there I typed in importprivkey "privkey". I then waited a couple of minutes and the wallet.dat showed up. I thought I was going to have to wait for the whole blockchain to download. Sorry to everyone who may have wasted their time.

You can do that in the Clam client, you don't necessarily need a wallet.dat file.

Borisz

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:34:59 AM

Look into lite wallets.  There are some that do not require the blockchain.  You can move the wallet file to most of the wallets from blockchain.

Or you can start over send to the new address.  Make sure to have it as cold storage and encrypt the file.

I've never had to do this as I don't use the online for much storage.   But I found this on moving the wallet: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/24978/how-to-import-old-wallet-to-multibit

Keep in mind treating wallet file or private key like gold.  I suggest making a backup usb or paperwallet.  And if you keep it on computer make sure to encrypt.
Yes I know. I no longer have a need for the wallets. (They don't have any funds in them). Thanks, but I have already tried multibit, and it does not produce a wallet.dat from what I can see.

I'm in a similar situation. My question is, do you need to remove your wallet from blockchain.info when you use it locally with you client (well, exported private keys)? Only asking because generally it is said to run a single wallet only on a single computer at any time to avoid errors. I'm not sure how this plays out with online wallet + local copy of the same wallet. Any idea anyone?
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 03:15:22 PM

I'm in a similar situation. My question is, do you need to remove your wallet from blockchain.info when you use it locally with you client (well, exported private keys)? Only asking because generally it is said to run a single wallet only on a single computer at any time to avoid errors. I'm not sure how this plays out with online wallet + local copy of the same wallet. Any idea anyone?

You can simply 'retire' the old wallet...

Vhawk23

Activity: 153
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 03:19:11 PM

But... If you 'retire' the old wallet, then that means your bitcoins from your old wallet to the new one... So there will be some fees that need to be paid... Am i right?
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 03:27:49 PM

But... If you 'retire' the old wallet, then that means your bitcoins from your old wallet to the new one... So there will be some fees that need to be paid... Am i right?

No, what I meant was, you export your private keys from online wallet to local wallet and then you 'retire' online wallet, there will be no problem if done like this...

Borisz

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 04:19:47 PM

No, what I meant was, you export your private keys from online wallet to local wallet and then you 'retire' online wallet, there will be no problem if done like this...

OK, thanks for clearing this. I should be ok then.
emrebey

Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:41:43 PM

since you're using your own client to manage your funds, I suggest move your balance to another address in your local wallet. blockchain is an online service and hacker's target because of that.

even you don't use the blockchain.info anymore, they have your private key.
desertfox470 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:25:07 PM

since you're using your own client to manage your funds, I suggest move your balance to another address in your local wallet. blockchain is an online service and hacker's target because of that.

If you are talking about for me I have personlaly never had a problem with blockchain.info. I do not have large amounts of btc though. I just needed to move the wallets to get the clam. They are no longer in use, and have no value in btc's held in them.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:31:48 PM

If you are talking about for me I have personlaly never had a problem with blockchain.info. I do not have large amounts of btc though. I just needed to move the wallets to get the clam. They are no longer in use, and have no value in btc's held in them.

If you import your private keys via importprivkey in Clam client it will credit your clams immediately, you don't need to import first in bitcoin-qt in order to get a wallet.dat with all your keys.

Borisz

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:55:47 PM

If they could simply get access to anyone's private keys and everyone simply trusts them, then surely there would also be an option to reset an account's password. Or? Last time I checked there was no way to restore an account and they claimed that the account password is used to encrypt the wallet.

The reason I didn't want to simply transfer my coins to a new wallet is because I only have a small amount of coins there and the tx fee would be likely a "large" portion of it. I had my fair share with dusty wallets and tx fees. I'll check again and see what I can do. I know this would be the cleanest way.
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 07:43:01 AM

Try electrum  it doesn't require you to download the whole blockchain to spend the bitcoin. JUst get the public key from blockchain.info and import it on the electrum wallet.
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:04:09 PM

Easy first you should have another wallet can be on web or device but must accepting importing private keys ,
So you can go to setting page in blockchain.info and look for exporting private keys then exporting them on a json ,,,,
or whatever that your new wallet support , then go to the new wallet look for importing keys , import them and
we are done ! . Question : Why should move a wallet instead of transferring balances direct ? cause of Fees ?

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy.
freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 01:50:23 PM

Hello Desertfox470, i think what you're looking for this: https://yacuna.com/blog/get-clam-coins-for-free/ , there will explain how to extract the keys from a purse and pass blockchain.info Clams to an exchange.

I hope i have helped you, greetings.
desertfox470 (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 02:56:58 PM

Hello Desertfox470, i think what you're looking for this: https://yacuna.com/blog/get-clam-coins-for-free/ , there will explain how to extract the keys from a purse and pass blockchain.info Clams to an exchange.

I hope i have helped you, greetings.
That website had kept returning me errors. I have stated before I have the issue solved. Thanks though.
desertfox470 (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 02:58:42 PM

Easy first you should have another wallet can be on web or device but must accepting importing private keys ,
So you can go to setting page in blockchain.info and look for exporting private keys then exporting them on a json ,,,,
or whatever that your new wallet support , then go to the new wallet look for importing keys , import them and
we are done ! . Question : Why should move a wallet instead of transferring balances direct ? cause of Fees ?

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy.
Sorry, but that is not the problem I was trying to solve. I was trying to get a wallet.dat from just having a priv key. Not trying to just move funds.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: