Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:25:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The "bit" in Bitcoin  (Read 2755 times)
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:58:57 AM

Bit - it has two relevant meanings for BTC.  The lesser known one is a slang term in many western countries for cash (eg, a US bit is worth 1/8 USD...see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(money) )

If there is an intentional double entendre here and Satoshi thought of it...perhaps he was, culturally speaking, western and not Japanese. His posts sound American to me, but I've only read a few.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:01:05 AM

Bit - it has two relevant meanings for BTC.  The lesser known one is a slang term in many western countries for cash (eg, a US bit is worth 1/8 USD...see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(money) )

If there is an intentional double entendre here and Satoshi thought of it...perhaps he was, culturally speaking, western and not Japanese. His posts sound American to me, but I've only read a few.

Are you American?  I'm guess no, because the term bit hasn't been used here in about 100 years.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:07:02 AM

Are you American?  I'm guess no, because the term bit hasn't been used here in about 100 years.

So the slang "two-bit" (such as a "two-bit company") is not used in the US (thought I'd read some joke about Microsoft Windows years ago that had that term in it)?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:08:05 AM

I dunno what Satoshi was thinking but his coin bit me.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:09:10 AM

So the slang "two-bit" (such as a "two-bit company") is not used in the US (thought I'd read some joke about Microsoft Windows years ago that had that term in it)?

From http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?MicrosoftWindows:

Windows was once famously described as "32 bit extensions and a graphical shell [on top of] a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition." This was attributed to Art Bahrs (an HP guy) in Aug 1997, although it probably predates that.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:22:24 AM

Oh, won't the banks be bitter when Bitcoin becomes more popular than they.

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:28:38 AM

Is the Bit in Bitcoin the 1.0 or the 0.00000001?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:31:25 AM

I dunno what Satoshi was thinking but his coin bit me.

how businesses have name variations from those 3 words:  Coinbit, Bitcoin, Bitme.  there is a Coinbit isn't there?  Cheesy
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:43:42 AM

Yes, that specific phrase is used occasionally to mean something cheap/worthless, but that's the only usage I've ever heard,

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:49:32 AM

Yes, that specific phrase is used occasionally to mean something cheap/worthless, but that's the only usage I've ever heard,

"i'm feeling a bit tired".
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:52:51 AM

That's just means small.... I was referring to using it as a monetary term, but I suppose only the OP said that, not me.

The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:24:45 AM

Perhaps simply that bits make up one of the foundations of digital data?  ByteCoin doesn't sound as cool anyway...

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 05:38:41 AM

Try "I'm as tired as a two bit hooker" instead.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 06:25:37 AM

One bit
Two Bits
Three Bits
A dollar
All for Satoshi

You get the idea. I remember this during the prep rallies in high school--100 years ago.

~Bruno~
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:52:50 AM

Quote from: Roger Miller
Ah but, two hours of pushing broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room.

King of the Road, written and recorded in 1964.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 08:49:48 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(money)

The New York Stock Exchange continued to list stock prices in eighths of a dollar until June 24, 1997, at which time it started listing in sixteenths. It did not fully implement decimal listing until January 29, 2001.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:08:41 AM

Captain Obvious here: for me bit means like byte, in the informatic sense

bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 11:09:25 AM

Perhaps simply that bits make up one of the foundations of digital data?  ByteCoin doesn't sound as cool anyway...
It is possible that no double entendre was intended.  As others have pointed out, the phrase is so uncommon people don't even recognize it when they use it ("two bit" being a phrase that pre-dates computers meaning small for its small monetary value ... A quarter). Perhaps Satoshi didn't think about how very appropriate the name was, but I'd like to think he did Smiley

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:05:01 PM

It could refer to the bit in the horse's mouth allowing you to take control of the unruly beast.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 06:01:45 PM

Or maybe Bitcoin was spelled incorrectly: Bitchin

And if a relic collector: BitChen

~Cackling Bear~
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print