Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:27:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter USB mod contest 2015 - 0.3/0.15/0.05 BTC prizes - closed  (Read 4371 times)
TheRealSteve (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:01:24 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2015, 12:03:30 AM by TheRealSteve

Wrong forum section? Feel free to move!
Block Erupter USB mod contest
BTC0.5 total prize money

Ah, the venerable Block Erupter USB - many a miner's first foray into ASIC Bitcoin mining.

But what are they doing now?  Collecting dust?  Fetching $5 each in flash sales only to be found on ebay for $15 each - and selling, too?  Still hashing away, forgotten behind a computer tower at a job you were fired from for completely unrelated reasons a long time ago?

Or maybe you modded yours.  If so, this thread is for you.

To celebrate the Block Erupter USB's upcoming 2-year anniversary, I'm 'giving' away BTC0.5 total (a small prize for a small device) in a contest.  Post your Block Erupter USB mods here, and I - dictator that I am - shall judge the entries. With any luck you could be a winner (aren't we all, though).

Prizes:
  • 1st place: BTC0.3
  • 2nd place: BTC0.15
  • 3rd place: BTC0.05
It's not much, but it's more than you're going to get mining with one now, short of being a solo Bitcoin mining lottery winner :)

Rules:
1. Your mod must be a mod of the Block Erupter USB.  Let your imagination run wild - be creative.  Here's some things that have been done before and aren't going to score very high unless it's exceptional work:
2. You must post evidence of the mod in this thread.  For some mods that means a picture will be good enough, for the more imaginative mods you might want to make a video and link to it. imgur is a great place for images and videos without sound, youtube is still the go-to place for full video.
3. You must post or PM an address to which potential winnings should be sent (at time of submission or if selected as a winner), and - lest I send BTC into a void - you must sign the following message using that address to prove receivership:
Code:
Block Erupter USB mod contest 2015

Duration:
I understand if you haven't already modded your Block Erupter USB - or don't have one to mod - but wouldn't mind a go at grabbing BTC0.3. That's okay, you've got approximately a month to acquire one and/or get modding.
  • This contest opens effective immediately.
  • This contest closes on 2015-05-04 12:00am PST (night of 3rd on 4th).  Not sure when that is?  Google is ever-so-helpful: current time pst

Contest address:

Disclaimer / the fine print:
I will not give feedback on this thread other than clarification of rules and technical support for posting. This contest is open to any member of the BitcoinTalk Forum.  If you're not a member, now's a good time to become one.  By participating, you agree to the rules and disclaimer.  I'm not allowed to participate.  Bummer.  friedcat is totes allowed to participate, tho'.  Entries past the closing time will be disqualified.  I won't be responsible for entries not received due to technical errors.  3 winning entries will be chosen - the number shall be three.  Four shalt I not count, neither count I two, except if there's only two entries in which case the remainder of the prize money is distributed by the same weight as the original prizes to those two entrants.  Similarly, only one entrant?  Winnar!  There is no limit to the number of entries allowed per participant, but a single participant only qualifies for a single prize.  Results and winners will be announced on 2015-05-04.  That's May 4th, not April 5th.  My decision is final and no further correspondence will be entertained unless it is entertaining.  Prizes are not exchangeable for cash or other products - I mean, by me, you can do whatever you want with it when it's yours.  I do not accept responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from the prizes or the use thereof, for you poor sods whose Bitcoin is taxed strictly. This post may receive updates in the below section at any time during the contest period.  I told you this was the fine print bit, right?

2015/04/08: Added link to solo.nicehash.com
2015/04/13: Added wax melting video
2015/04/13.2: Clarified payout address submission
2015/04/15: Updated with contests section below

Contests:
1. Block Erupter USB mod contest 2015 - 0.3/0.15/0.05 BTC prizes
2. Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery 2015 - 0.1 BTC prize
3. Block Erupter USB - StickMiners Horizons - 0.1 BTC prize

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:10:51 AM

Nice one!

But why is this in Project Development?
TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:21:54 AM

Nice one!
Thanks!  And that is an excellent question - unfortunately I couldn't pick a good section for it based on section names alone, so I decided to look for previous contests.. and between this section, the gambling section, and marketplace/services, this seemed the most appropriate Smiley
That said, I fully acknowledge there might be a better section - thus the "Wrong forum section? Feel free to move!" in the top right corner Cheesy

defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:32:51 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 01:12:25 PM by defcon23

interesting !  Cool  watched!  Wink
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:05:42 AM

Nice one!
Thanks!  And that is an excellent question - unfortunately I couldn't pick a good section for it based on section names alone, so I decided to look for previous contests.. and between this section, the gambling section, and marketplace/services, this seemed the most appropriate Smiley
That said, I fully acknowledge there might be a better section - thus the "Wrong forum section? Feel free to move!" in the top right corner Cheesy

I would move it to Bitcoin Discussion if I was you.

It would get more views as not that many members are "technical"  Wink

Once again, Nice One!  Cheesy
TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:07:58 PM

I would move it to Bitcoin Discussion if I was you.

It would get more views as not that many members are "technical"  Wink
Darn those un-technical members! Wink

I'll leave it to a mod to relocate if appropriate.  It'll get linked from my StickMiners thread later so it'll be found regardless Smiley

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 02:56:34 PM

Awesome contest I'm waiting to see some creative projects!

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 04:13:55 PM

But what are they doing now?  Collecting dust? 

I still have a handful of these, I wouldn't be surprised if they become collectibles in a few years.

novak@gekkoscience

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 04:37:14 PM

Oh wow I just saw this.  If I can come up with any more good projects (the USB-UART convertor is mine) I'll have  to enter for sure.

--
novak
TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

Welcoming any and all submissions (that adhere to the rules) Smiley

There's two other Block Erupter USB(-related) contests coming up, keep an eye on my StickMiners thread for announcements (though I might cross-post across the contest threads anyway).  They'll be less involved and thus carry lower prizes (BTC0.1 each) - but if tinkering is not your thing, those should be relatively easy money Smiley

macsheadroom

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Computer Service Tech

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 11:14:35 PM

Long since retired I had dozens of these running 24/7 for a few months, Overclocked with sidehacks kits. I taught myself hot air soldering among other things chasing the bitcon.

1FQkmrwQ7yf9MKGLsAUhY2jgMT8WjepwL7
TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 11:44:12 PM

Just to note, the contest does mention specifically:
Here's some things that have been done before and aren't going to score very high unless it's exceptional work:
Looks like you also messed with R1 for overclocking?

If you're an electronics geek by now, have a look at the LED and how it's being driven.  Funky.

Long since retired I had dozens of these running 24/7 for a few months, Overclocked with sidehacks kits.
Time to bring it (or possibly another) out of retirement! Details soon Smiley

macsheadroom

Computer Service Tech

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:08:18 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 01:22:33 AM by macsheadroom

Just to note, the contest does mention specifically:
Here's some things that have been done before and aren't going to score very high unless it's exceptional work:

Looks like you also messed with R1 for overclocking?

If you're an electronics geek by now, have a look at the LED and how it's being driven.  Funky.

Long since retired I had dozens of these running 24/7 for a few months, Overclocked with sidehacks kits.
Time to bring it (or possibly another) out of retirement! Details soon Smiley

I'm not expecting to even place but someones gotta get the ball rolling. Grin

Bad heat sink placement and amateur soldering skills led to this ones death. Its the only one that died early. I guess I kept him for nostalgia's sake. all the others worked until I sold them on ebay long ago. I over clocked some blades too, those were the days.

I remember reading something about that funky LED driver, it got to be over my head.

I cant imagine why anyone would mine bitcoins with these anymore, do tell. Wink

TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:26:38 AM

I'm not expecting to even place but someones gotta get the ball rolling. Grin
True that - easy money, too, if yours remains the only entry Wink

Bad heat sink placement and amateur soldering skills led to this ones death.
That poor thing Sad

I cant imagine why anyone would mine bitcoins with these anymore, do tell. Wink
Three days of mining for a chance at BTC0.1 - mining with a Block Erupter USB hasn't been this profitable since.. ever?

Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery 2015

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:09:45 PM

I did put out Blade kits, but nothing for the Block Erupter (except sending a handful of parts to one friend). I had at one time seventeen custom-overclocked to 460MH/s but I didn't make any kits for them. I think I still have two, one that works and one that smoked - I also killed the first one while trying to overclock.

I was thinking it might be interesting to rig up a BE with a software-adjustable voltage and clock but I don't think there's enough free pins on the micro. Maybe hardware-adjustable would be good enough.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
TheRealSteve (OP)

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:57:01 PM

Be sure to throw one at the mining lottery - just not the overclocked ones, as it seems you'd be quickly disqualified! Wink

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 09:06:36 PM

I might point a BM1384 board at it if I can talk one into running at 6MHz instead of 100+

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
macsheadroom

Computer Service Tech

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 08:34:32 PM

Looking back I see I got those kits from member rumak and ebay, but I did get my blade kits from sidehack.

Come on guys, are you going let my hack job hack take this win, lets see em'!  Tongue

btct22

Activity: 615

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:57:09 AM

I got quite into modding my BE's  - I kept one stock one and all the others got at least a crystal replacement and extra heatsinks.

These two I got running at almost double the normal speed, clamped between two finned heatsinks.  They had the inductor removed and were directly powered with a variable power supply.  This rig was running for months under my desk on top of my PC.

BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 02:27:58 AM
Last edit: April 21, 2015, 03:33:41 AM by BitBlitz

OK..  I had about 30 of these things running at one point.  
Because I preferred to run my Block Erupters with passive cooling, I always removed the heat spreader and epoxied them to proper heat sinks as soon as they arrived.  

I realized I had an 'ideal heat sink' for the last three I bought.  

Behold!  The 1GH/s coffee warmer with integrated hub...  What wasted heat??

Ideally, one would overclock them or run more than three for the extra heat, but my laptop would only run three stock Block Erupters per USB port before a powered hub was needed.  I didn't want to deal with extra cords.

These three avoided the early retirement faced by the other Block Erupters when more efficient hardware arrived.  

I eventually retired the mug to my office bookshelf, until today.

I once left the coffee mug on the kitchen counter (with the cables and hub removed), and the wife ran it through the dishwasher.  It survived, and still works today.  Cheesy

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: