Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no balance per address shown in bitcoin-qt?  (Read 1303 times)
bullioner (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:03:17 AM

For safe keeping I am transferring a fixed amount to each of a number of addresses, which I've created in a single wallet in bitcoin-qt.  I've named each address and printed out their private keys to store somewhere. 

I've just noticed that it doesn't appear possible to view per-address balance in bitcoin-qt.  You can view the balance for the wallet as a whole in the "Overview" section.  You can view per-address transactions by right-clicking and choosing "Show transaction details" in the "Transactions" section.  But you can't view per-transaction balance?  Gah!

Can I also just check that conceptually, wallets are a purely client-side concept, just a way that a client aggregates multiple addresses together?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:21:53 AM

The stock client isn't really intended for that.  If you want a safe offline wallet, use Armory or just generate keys with vanitygen and use blockexplorer to track the balances.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:33:26 AM

You may be interested in this:  https://coderrr.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/patching-the-bitcoin-client-to-make-it-more-anonymous/

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 06:04:00 AM

Can I also just check that conceptually, wallets are a purely client-side concept, just a way that a client aggregates multiple addresses together?

The wallet tries to make it so the concept of transferring money occurs in a familiar context.

Technically, however, it does not work the way it seems.   Bitcoins don't "transfer" from one wallet to the next.    Transactions are simply ledger entries.   The wallet holds the private keys necessary to create a transaction that spends from the coins received.

So the client will compute a total, and show transactions.   But all that can be done using the blockchain, without even having the wallet.dat, and instead just knowing which Bitcoin addresses were in the wallet.

That's what a service, BTCBalance.net offers:

- http://btcbalance.net

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █