Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:23:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A good wallet for a US bit coin person  (Read 666 times)
cheetahwind (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:33:08 PM

So as I'm getting used to playing with Bit Coin, as I have for the last 4 months.  I keep getting told that Coinbase and Circle aren't good places to store my bit coin.  Even though there insured.

So any suggestions on a secure place to store my coin.  I would store them on my personal computer or phone, but I"m not sure if that's the way to go about it or not.

Just am open for suggestions.

If Circle and Coinbase are good, then I'll stick with them as my primary wallet.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:50:49 PM

blockchain.info offers a pretty easy way to make and use BTC wallets (online wallets).  They have had a few problems along the way, but from what I hear they have always rectified any errors or security breaches (the latter happened to me once, they resolved it OK).  blockchain.info also has a built-in SharedCoin service for mixing coins.

I was not as happy with MultiBit, as it takes a long time to update blockchain info if you do not use it much...

I do not know anything about Coinbase and Circle wallets, so can offer no opinion.

I highly recommend these hardware solutions:

-- Ledger Nano (cheap, and has worked just fine for me, ledgerwallet.com)

-- Trezor (a little more expensive, but has worked great as well, bitcointrezor.com)

There are threads here at bitcointalk that discuss the hardware wallets.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:52:17 PM

If you want the maximum security use a local wallet but if you want easy of use. Use an online wallet, I recommend blockchain.info over coinbase.

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:19:46 PM

Never, never, NEVER use online wallet. There s much higher possibility of these getting hacked. I would recommend Armory with its multi sig feature. Also, cold storage is a must have.
Trezor is another great wallet, but that one s a hardware wallet.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Buckeye2015

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:40:49 PM

I have a coinbase account, but I use electrum local wallet software.  I have all the key stuff (like my phrase, password, ??) so I can 'recover' the electrum application if I need to rebuild it.

But, I loaded it up, generated some keys and saved off the public and private keys into another encrypting application that's not related to bitcoin at all. I use the generated public keys to receive bitcoin and then either import the address onto coinbase (as a paper wallet) or just open the electrum app on my system.  I actually don't like sending from electrum because I don't like the auto-generated change addresses. I'd rather send from coinbase, then export the change back to my 'paper wallet'.

I have coinbase's app on my phone because it gives me the current prices.

PayCON: PHQAtLmwRXTskGqry1FBuFLnWuqMzcj1TH   --==*==--  Qora: QcgdKgPD1SkqzGXWGAY1gwao7257gyGVnB   --==*==--  BitCoin: 1L9NLA3wHcGwffm2avVg3tzhDGjtq9
needFREElunch

Hi

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:42:01 PM

Never, never, NEVER use online wallet. There s much higher possibility of these getting hacked. I would recommend Armory with its multi sig feature. Also, cold storage is a must have.

The possibility is much higher but it is much easier to use and maintain for a person who is new to bitcoin and does not have much BTC it is usually a better alternative.  But if you are storing a large amount you defiantly want to store it your self on an offline wallet.

marioantonini
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1082

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:46:50 PM

Online wallet = low security.

The best for security is only paper wallet to pc and printer without internet connection
RhodaGila

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:47:45 PM

Until now I only use 2 wallet, an online wallet and the wallet offline, with different functions. Wallet online I use as a storage area for transactions that are not too large, while offline wallet is used as a permanent storage and for transactions that if risk is done with an online wallet.

Both wallet that I use it is blockchain.info for online wallet and electrum for offline wallet.

Until now I use both and safe
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:01:03 PM

I highly advise against using blockchain.info, because they are plagued with problems and they can cause you to use your coins.

Instead, you should use a client like Electrum for PC, or Mycelium for your phone. These are much more secure.
Also, it's spelt bitcoin, not bit coin.
needFREElunch

Hi

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:09:25 PM

I highly advise against using blockchain.info, because they are plagued with problems and they can cause you to use your coins.

Instead, you should use a client like Electrum for PC, or Mycelium for your phone. These are much more secure.

Do you have any examples of these problems with blockchain.info that you mentioned?

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:13:51 PM

Online wallet = low security.

The best for security is only paper wallet to pc and printer without internet connection

The possibility is much higher but it is much easier to use and maintain for a person who is new to bitcoin and does not have much BTC it is usually a better alternative.  But if you are storing a large amount you defiantly want to store it your self on an offline wallet.

Have you heard about greenaddress? It is an online wallet (web wallet) but with a lot of features and more secure than blockchain.info wallet.

Do you have any examples of these problems with blockchain.info that you mentioned?

Do you know the old security problem, the R values (related with a bad generation of private keys). More info here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.0

marioantonini
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1082

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:30:08 PM

Yes redsn0w i have see the greenaddress thread, but continue to like more a paper wallet, i have xx paper wallet with 0,1 bitcoin and i like see every day  Grin
needFREElunch

Hi

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:39:08 PM

I have never heard of greenaddress i'll check it out. Thanks for the link on the security problems with blockchain.info I will check it out. I am looking into making a cold storage wallet so I don't need to rely on web wallets for most of my btc.

rodrigobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:08:46 PM

Best waller for me is electrum, online or offline, very fast and very light

▓▓▓▄             ▓▓▓▓
           ▓▓▀  ▀█▄        ▓▓▓   ▓▓
          ▓▓  ▓▄   ▀╗ ▓▓▓▓▓  ▓▓▓ ▓▓
         ▓▓ ▄▓▓▓▓▄              ▓▓ ▓▓
        ▐▓▌ ▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄    ▓ ▓
        ▓▓  ▀  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╦   ▓▓▓
      ▄▓▓▀  ▄▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀ ▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╦  ▓▓▓
    ▄▓▓▀    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▄  ▀▓▓▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▓▓
   ▄▓▓▓▓  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀     ▓▓▓     ▀ ▀ ▄   ▓▓
    ▓▓▀  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▀             ▄     ▀▀  ▓▀
   ▓▓▀  ▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▄▓▓▀ ▄▄▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄  ▓▓▓
  ▓▓▌  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▓▓▓▌ ▀▀▓▓▓ ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓  ▓▓
 ▐▓▌        ▀▀▓▌ ╟▀▓▓▌▐▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▓▓   ╔    ▓▓
 ███▓▓▓▓▄▄        ▐▓▓ ▓▄▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄      ▓▓
           ▀▀▀█▄     ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄       ▓ ▓▓
                 ▀█▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  ▀     
                     ▄▄
  BETFURY ..🎲 YOU PLAY - WE PAY 🎲..|    ▄▓▓▓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▓▓▓▓
   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▀▀▀          ▓▓▓         ▀▀▀▀
             ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
             ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█

▓ ▓
                                     ▓▓▓▓▓
                                     ▓▓  ▓▓
                                     ▓▓▓▓▓
                                     ▓▓  ▓▓
                                     ▓▓▓▓▓
                                     ▓ ▓
|
Twitter
Telegram
Bitcointalk
OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 01:06:11 AM

blockchain.info's wallet is free and easy to use.  But, the security is indeed not so great.

I use it, as another posted above, for transactions for quick re-transmission to one of my hardware wallets.

And, yes, I agree with above comment re online wallet OK for low value of Bitcoin (say 0.5 BTC or less).  Another nice advantage of the blockchain.info wallet is that you can access it anywhere without bringing anything with you...  But, if you DO use a blockchain.info wallet on an unknown computer (esp. when in another country), use it ONCE ONLY, and send most of the balance on (esp. to a hardware address).
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:44:24 AM

Yes redsn0w i have see the greenaddress thread, but continue to like more a paper wallet, i have xx paper wallet with 0,1 bitcoin and i like see every day  Grin

Everyone of us has his own use of bitcoin, also the palaver wallet option is good but if you want a rapid spending of them that would be really annoying (because you should import the priv. keys and after use those Bitcoins).

I have never heard of greenaddress i'll check it out. Thanks for the link on the security problems with blockchain.info I will check it out. I am looking into making a cold storage wallet so I don't need to rely on web wallets for most of my btc.

A cold storage must be offline and you cannot use an online service for save your bitcoin. If you want create a real cold storage, use electrum on a windows/linux machine offline.

Best waller for me is electrum, online or offline, very fast and very light

Good choice, I also use electrum when we are talking about a large amount if btc.
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 08:06:06 AM

JUST blockchain.info
OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:18:24 PM

ETFBitcoin

Yes, re blockchain.info's security enhancements.  I never could get their 2FA to work well with mine (this was several months ago, maybe that has changed). 

So, yes, the "second password" helps at least some.  I still only keep a low balance with blockchain.info.

I like the Trezor too.  Don't forget the Ledger Nano!  Latter is cheap and seems to work well too.
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:44:36 AM

Bitcoin Core     --> Original wallet with very good security
Electrum         --> Lightweight wallet, simple & have good security
Blockchain.info --> The most popular wallet & have good security (if you enable 2FA & second password)
Trezor            --> No. 1 Hardware wallet with maximum security
Paper Wallet    --> Simple cold storage wallet
you forgot to mention multibit  Wink

i'm using multibit wallet, and don't have a problem so far.
i love the feature to add hundred's of address just in second. i don't know if other wallet have this feature too.
and about security it's depend on with your password, more unique is more better for security. and i think multibit it's better than blockchain.info
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: