Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:59:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Winklevoss' bitcoin ETF would be the same as Barry Silbert's GBTC  (Read 2012 times)
backb (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:30:21 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 08:01:06 PM by backb

What if Winklevoss Twins' bitcoin ETF (NASDAQ) would be the same as GBTC (Barry Silbert's Bitcoin Investment Trust, OTCMKTS):

1: NO trades two weeks after official launch, unlikely for ETF, because Winklevoss Twins can't wait to sell their bags (1 million shares = 100k bitcoins), so there would be sell orders soon as ETF goes live!

2: The ETF will only got less than total 75 bitcoins buy orders like GBTC does (GBTC only has 750 shares bid list = 75 btc demand http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote).
https://i.imgur.com/dh2qsBe.jpg

If thing comes out like this, does it mean neither wall street nor average joe (who invest with their retirement account) is waiting to get in and in fact nobody care about bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:34:31 PM

The Silbert GBTC requires the share holders to own their share for at least 12 months before selling.
Price was $450 per coin 12 months ago, so it's unlikely anyone who bought 12 months ago are eager to sell.
The winkie ETF, as I understand it, does not have this sort of set up. Once they launch their ETF it would be like a gold or silver ETF where anyone could buy in (assuming there are still shares available).

NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:36:08 PM

Wall Street doesn't care about bitcoin, whether you build exchanges and ETFs where they could get in or not.

The GBTC is a fine example. Still 0 trades and only a few bids for a few grand worth.
The only Wall Street thugs that are gonna buy bitcoin will end up like the Wall Street thugs who already bought: bagholding.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:37:25 PM

because Winklevoss Twins can't wait to sell their bags

They could probably sell their bags with a couple of well placed phone calls. They could also save themselves millions of dollars in legal fees and years of their lives by not bothering with the ETF.

Ergo they are committed to making it an ongoing success.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:40:08 PM

What if Winklevoss Twins' bitcoin ETF (NASDAQ) would be the same as GBTC (Barry Silbert's Bitcoin Investment Trust, OTCMKTS):

1: NO trades two weeks after official launch, unlikely for ETF, because Winklevoss Twins can't wait to sell their bags (1 million shares = 100k bitcoins), so there would be sell orders soon as ETF goes live!

2: The ETF will only got less than total 75 bitcoins buy orders like GBTC does (GBTC only has 750 shares bid list = 75 btc demand http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote).

If thing comes out like this, does it mean neither wall street nor average joe is waiting to get in and in fact nobody care about bitcoin?

Why don't you ask hypothetical trolling questions with your main account instead of using a throwaway?
coinableS
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:44:25 PM

If thing comes out like this, does it mean neither wall street nor average joe is waiting to get in and in fact nobody care about bitcoin?

Why don't you ask hypothetical trolling questions with your main account instead of using a throwaway?

Because trolls are gonna troll. Do you spend all day on a forum relative to a topic that you despise? Probably not. What if someone paid you to register and troll that forum??

backb (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:45:14 PM

No offtopic bullshit talks, please answer the question itself.
Is "wall street or average joe can't wait to get in" a lie?
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:47:08 PM

Yes, a lie by people who have interest in telling such lies like huge holders or underwater bagholders.

coinableS
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:49:36 PM

What are you guys doing for easter today? I'm going to the inlaws to have cheeseburgers. It's alright I guess, at least it's free food and free beer. Haha that reminds me of a funny joke from earlier this week. I was eating at a taco cart and I asked for frijoles and the dude next to me said "free beer, free tacos, frijoles" We all LOL'ed, it was grand.

backb (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:52:10 PM

Yes, a lie by people who have interest in telling such lies like huge holders or underwater bagholders.

A Short and Clear answer i am looking for, thank you!
Too many trolls here talking offtopic shits and ignore&afraid to answer the question
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:06:12 PM

If thing comes out like this, does it mean neither wall street nor average joe (who invest with their retirement account) is waiting to get in and in fact nobody care about bitcoin?

1. GBTC holders are still unable to access their shares from their trading account thus the absence of any trade so far.

2. There are no buy orders because there are no sell orders. Supply creates demand.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
backb (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:10:45 PM

1. GBTC holders are still unable to access their shares from their trading account thus the absence of any trade so far.

2. There are no buy orders because there are no sell orders. Supply creates demand.

1: Why? 12 months has already passed.
2: NO, There are 6 bids for total 750 shares (less than 75 bitcoins), i guess that's all demands it has
brg444

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:18:25 PM

2: NO, There are 6 bids for total 750 shares (less than 75 bitcoins), i guess that's all demands it has

All that's left is for BIT shares (which trade at ticker symbol "GBTC") to be moved into shareholders' brokerage accounts, a process that should be finished by next week, and "then it's up to them if they will sell," Silbert said.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102549768

It's a new security. The shares have simply not been credited to their owners trading account yet.

2. What part of supply creates demand did you not understand. Maybe people are just not interested in placing blind orders before shares are even put on the market.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:45:12 PM

Buyers are placing bids and 40% above market and the trolls are actually trying to convince people that is bearish.  It's probably about time for liftoff.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
brg444

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:47:59 PM

Buyers are placing bids and 40% above market and the trolls are actually trying to convince people that is bearish.  It's probably about time for liftoff.

Imagine just  ONE of them gets filled at 350$

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

All that's left is for BIT shares (which trade at ticker symbol "GBTC") to be moved into shareholders' brokerage accounts, a process that should be finished by next week, and "then it's up to them if they will sell," Silbert said.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102549768

It's a new security. The shares have simply not been credited to their owners trading account yet.

2. What part of supply creates demand did you not understand. Maybe people are just not interested in placing blind orders before shares are even put on the market.
Aight.

We'll see how many bids will there be "next week"  Cheesy

travwill

Activity: 1313
Merit: 278

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:54:24 PM

Trading isn't even expected until the week of 4/6 - it isn't late or inactive yet.  There will be trades on day one.  Orders can be created it seems but are not routing yet according to my corporate system.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██                ▄▄▄███████▄▄                 ██
██             ▄███▀▀        ▀▀▄               ██
██▄▄███████▀  ███▀                             ██
██▀█▄▄       ███▀   ▐███████▄    ▄██▄          ██
██  ▀███▄▄▄ ███▌    ▐██    ██    ▀██▀          ██
██      ▀▀█████▌    ▐███████▀           ▀▀██▄▄ ██
██          ███▌    ▐██ ▄▄▄                 ▀████
██           ███▄   ▐██  ▀██▄ ▀▀▀███████████▀▀ ██
██            ████▄             ▄█▀            ██
██             ▀████▄▄▄     ▄▄██▀              ██
██                ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀                ██
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
VIRTUAL WORLDS
BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
D I S C O R D     
M E D I U M     
G I T B O O K     
pleaseexplain

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:08:27 AM

its slightly off topic but I am confused when people say bitcoin will take off in price when we get the twins etf and exchange.

I can understand the exchange part ie a more trusted/secure/like a normal exchange will bring in more people though i am not sure the volumes will be great in the short term to move the price much. But it may.

however on the etf - is it not standalone? ie fiat being risked on bitcoin movements with out it being turned into bitcoin? It may help recognition/exposure of bitcoin etc  but cannot see how it would significantly move the price even if its more popular then GBTC.

what am I missing here?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:15:48 AM

its slightly off topic but I am confused when people say bitcoin will take off in price when we get the twins etf and exchange.

I can understand the exchange part ie a more trusted/secure/like a normal exchange will bring in more people though i am not sure the volumes will be great in the short term to move the price much. But it may.

however on the etf - is it not standalone? ie fiat being risked on bitcoin movements with out it being turned into bitcoin? It may help recognition/exposure of bitcoin etc  but cannot see how it would significantly move the price even if its more popular then GBTC.

what am I missing here?

I guess the primary sell is that it makes bitcoin safely accessible and that opens up a huge amount of extra possible investment.

There are a ton of professional financiers who would be bound by rules to only invest in properly approved funds. It also means private investors can put money in through brokers and tax free channels, the ones they're already comfortable using.

If you're intrigued by the idea, you might throw half a per cent of your stash at it through a fund. The idea of dicking around with wallets and cold storage is definitely not going to turn most people on.
pleaseexplain

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:30:59 AM

however on the etf - is it not standalone? ie fiat being risked on bitcoin movements with out it being turned into bitcoin? It may help recognition/exposure of bitcoin etc  but cannot see how it would significantly move the price even if its more popular then GBTC.

what am I missing here?

I guess the primary sell is that it makes bitcoin safely accessible and that opens up a huge amount of extra possible investment.

There are a ton of professional financiers who would be bound by rules to only invest in properly approved funds. It also means private investors can put money in through brokers and tax free channels, the ones they're already comfortable using.

If you're intrigued by the idea, you might throw half a per cent of your stash at it through a fund. The idea of dicking around with wallets and cold storage is definitely not going to turn most people on.

hi thanks understand now. it might then also in a year or two sort out one way or another to some extent several debates that rage on this forum eg does bitcoin have any store of value?  will altcoins disappear? 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: