Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:02:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The reality of BTC that too many (and myself) dont want to believe.  (Read 8199 times)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:46:31 PM

STOP and look at BTC as a basic computer user would and its overwhelming.

False. Basic computer user will use sites like CoinBase.com and for them Bitcoin is instantly as easy as Paypal.  Log in, send money, receive money.

Don't let the fact that Bitcoin enables an array of other, more complicated, uses deter you from realizing how darn easy it is to simply send and receive BTC from an ewallet. Don't let the complexities of the mechanics inside an combustion engine deter you from realizing the ease of using a car.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:53:47 PM

(in 1990, millions of kids (eg, ~10yr olds) were using the internet )

In 1990 internet was Gopher, Compuserve and BBS. First web browser - 1993. Millions of kids - 1997.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 12:14:14 AM

In 1990 internet was Gopher, Compuserve and BBS. First web browser - 1993. Millions of kids - 1997.
and 2400 baud IIRC

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 12:35:13 AM

and 2400 baud IIRC
And NNTP was the biggest time waster instead of todays forums.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:01:30 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 03:46:37 AM by Stephen Gornick

Of course Bitcoin, as it exists today, won't have mass appeal. But even compared with a year ago, a flash in the pan really, it is riders of magnitude more secure and user-friendly now.

Ya, bitcoin has really come a long way. It was just a year and a half ago where there was still an unclaimed bounty to figure out how to spend when all you have is a private key, for instance:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3638.msg51986#msg51986

But Bicoin has a lot further way to go to catch up to the ease of use and security of its competitors.

Being an open source project with no organization pursuing a vision and a budget to execute on it, it is then absolutely amazing what has been built for Bitcoin already.  But bitcoin isn't the only payment system to end up here, late 2012, without having all the problems solved.  The retail payments industry has attracted positively enormous amounts of funding and there really isn't any one model that is gaining traction.  Because Bitcoin can basically copy whatever methods work for others, not being the first isn't necessarily a huge problem.

For the non-technical end-user security issue, the resolution to that will probably be something along the lines of what Square is offering with their "pay with your name" retail payments service.     This service uses the concept of geo-fencing.  Meaning that a mobile app's function varies based on location.  With "pay with your name", the backend host knows where the customer is (location based service on the user's mobile) so simply being present (within the geofence for that merchant) gives authorization allowing a merchant to perform a charge up to some level (e.g., purchases up to $20 at a Starbucks).  

Sure this is a centralized system but so are hosted (shared) EWallets (Coinbase, Paytunia, Easywallet) and there aren't many complaints by those users.

The great thing about this is that nobody is forced to follow "the officlal method".  There are methods of holding and using bitcoins that works for me that you wouldn't want to use because your tradeoff between convenience and security might be different.    The financial service whose threat model mandates they use M of N signing for their cold wallet uses the exact same Bitcoin network as does the teenage patron at a coffee shop who pays using a mobile phone.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:33:51 AM

i really have a problem with threads like these where Bitcoin skeptics put up a provocative negative title but don't bother to respond to multiple counterarguments which clearly challenge their original supposition like any responsible libelist would do.  it's clear, to me at least, that the author means to only catch attention from newbies not knowing any better while also knowing that he doesn't have clear arguments to back up his claims.  in situations like these, the thread should be moved immediately to the Off-Topic forum.  i see this happening more and more as the price rises although not nearly as bad yet as last summer.
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 03:41:22 PM

97% of all usd that people use is digital already.  If bitcoin could penetrate even 10% of that it would be disruption.

If local banks can get on board, local shops, and a btc credit card can be used...it'll increase in popularity.

As it stands right now, yes there are "ease of use" hurdles.  That can be overcome with the proper entrepreneurship of new companies.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:28:03 AM

There are already glimpses of how bitcoin may function in the future.

Anyone who's played satoshi dice directly from within blockchain wallet can see immediately how easy using bitcoin could be. There's no copying or pasting, no opening multiple tabs, no addresses to double check. It all happens seamlessly from within the wallet.

I think people running wallet services have more to offer than just banking, and have big opportunities for making money out of their 'free' services.
I suspect these services may eventually become the yahoos, aols and googles of the future - that's why people were willing to invest in Coinbase, becasue once they control a substantial part of the bitcoin universe they can integrate services directly into the wallet.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 06:35:58 AM

and 2400 baud IIRC

i have many good memories being a kid (7-8) dialing into BBSes that you found the numbers on from the free Computer User newspapers.  2400 baud was the shit.  then trying to download a bmp of some girl in a swimsuit would take like 30 minutes.  or more, but i wasn't complaining.  then my parents got Prodigy...it sucked. 

bitcoin still seems to me at that fun renegade 2400 baud stage and thats why i like it

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 07:06:40 PM

Bitcoin is a protocol. We just need a Steve Jobs to make it accessable for our moms  Tongue

Give it time. It always does.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:59:32 AM

and 2400 baud IIRC

BBS's and the internet were not the same, though naturally BBS operators were some of the first to provide something of a gateway to the Internet.  One of the providers (perhaps Comupserve?) was reluctant to allow users out of their domain so I quit them and went with a shell provider.  http had only recently come on the scene and was no 'big' like gopher.  Some company (Tymenet or some such) allowed free phone access after hours for some reason so upgraded my 300 baud modem to a 2400 baud (C64 computer) and I was never happier.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:50:05 PM

One of the providers (perhaps Comupserve?) was reluctant to allow users out of their domain so I quit them and went with a shell provider.
Please don't disparage the good old aunt Compuserve. She was always very liberal with the access. Too bad this was never marketed and stayed a Pulcinella's secret to the very end. May she rest in peace.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPPP-compuserve.html

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: