Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:19:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using real names in a cooperative Bitcoin app?  (Read 845 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

I am working on an application where there may, at times, require a small level of trust built up between the various users.

Would it be worth it to require real names, ala Facebook, when using the service and interacting with others online to enhance that trust. Or is the culture of
Internet anonymity too much to the point where few people would want to sign up?

I prefer to stay pseudo-anonymous on most sites I go to. Sure you could find out who I am easily with a google search, but I prefer presenting my "Internet self" to those who do not know me personally. And tend to feel more at ease as an avatar on the web.

And I do know that by requiring a "real name" could just end up with a bunch of people making up fake personas with real world names. But that is easy to pull the veil off of and forever expose the liar behind the fake name than trying to find out if some anonymous person going by "pirate40" should be trusted or not.

Thoughts? Input?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:45:24 PM

Is Trendon Shavers really more trustworthy than pirate@40?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:10:31 PM

Would it be worth it to require real names, ala Facebook, when using the service and interacting with others online to enhance that trust. Or is the culture of Internet anonymity too much to the point where few people would want to sign up?

Can it be a hybrid, like how GLBSE works?   GLBSE says whether or not the asset issuer has provided identity but the issuer can operate under an alias such that nobody except GLBSE knows the issuer's real name.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █