Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:59:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on the best way to accept bitcoins...  (Read 950 times)
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:35:00 PM

Sorry if this isn't the right thread. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which one was the best. So feel free to move to appropriate thread, if needed..

I have 2 businesses. one is a 100 percent online store. I only sell a couple products. I take the traditional Visa/MC/AMEX and PP. Many customers are from overseas so the only option is for them to pay with paypal. I hate them with a passion, but its really my only option..

My other business is a brick and morter that also deals with only credit cards/checks. I also want to accept bitcoins here..

Obviously, I can't educate everyone about the bitcoin, just put a link that talks about it and offer a discount to those that use it.

IS using Bit-pay the best option for both businesses? or would it be smart to just code it in on my web business?

I think if a lot of businesses thought this way, it would really help out the bitcoin. I just dont know the best/easiest way for my businesses.

Thanks for your help..

AR
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:01:53 PM

one is a 100 percent online store.

Are you using ecommerce / online shopping cart software?  If so, which?

My other business is a brick and morter that also deals with only credit cards/checks. I also want to accept bitcoins here..

Are you using point of sale software or old school cash register / drawer ? 

There really is little available today for brick and mortar merchants, but at the same even a low-tech version would work because there probably isn't much bitcoin business yet.

From another thread:

There is a pretty low-tech method for doing this available now. 

Launch a mobile app (Blockchain for Android) .
Click Request money.
For the amount, click the pen icon to enter USD amount.
After entering the amount it will show a QR code.
Tap the QR code to make it larger and present that to the customer..

Using a web-based EWallet this can be done as well, use Preev to convert USD to BTCs:
 - http://www.Preev.com

I think if a lot of businesses thought this way, it would really help out the bitcoin. I just dont know the best/easiest way for my businesses.

The solutions available to merchants are improving but there's no doubt the ones available today are sub-optimal.  The e-commerce options align the best with bitcoin, so expect those options to gain wider use,   But for the brick and mortar side this isn't a problem unique to bitcoin.  The entire payments industry is trying to figure out a mobile payments solution that will gain traction. What bitcoin has going for it is that once the right formula gets figured out, it can be used globally.   All these others are generally specific to retailers in specific jurisdictions.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bigasic (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:16:24 PM

Thank you for your well-thought answer..

For my online business. I use a traditional shopping cart that is made with drupal (which is how the website was made) I think i could just use a mt.gox app or im sure someone has made a bitcoin app for drupal.

My brick and morter store only sells higher priced items (jetted bathtubs/fixtures) So giving someone a 3 percent discount could be substantial for them, enough so, to find out what the bitcoin is, lol.. Many sales are 10k or more.. and i think it will be more difficult to accept it here..

But my online business is where I will benefit from it.. Like I said, a grand majority are not in the USA/Canada and their only option is to either send a bank transfer or paypal. So, accepting bitcoins would really help me and the client. (as long as its fairly easy to get their fiat into bitcoin) wont be hard to put a FAQ about bitcoin on the site, with links to educate.

Since I have now invested quite heavily into mining, I thought I need to do my share in helping the bitcoin. If I don't accept it, why should i expect others to?

I guess Ill set up my online store first and go from there..

AR
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:22:12 PM

avidreader,

PM me if you have any questions but I would recommend talking with http://bit-pay.com

I know them personally and I'm sure they can get you setup pretty quick.

Best,
gigavps
bigasic (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:27:55 PM

avidreader,

PM me if you have any questions but I would recommend talking with http://bit-pay.com

I know them personally and I'm sure they can get you setup pretty quick.

Best,
gigavps

Thanks Giga,

They were on my list.. I can't tell you how many sales i've lost because the only option for them was to do a expensive bank transfer. It's amazing how many people did go thru the hassle, but I see them buying bitcoins much easier/less expensive than going to the bank and paying a 20 dollar or more xfer fee. (when the product they are buying is 200.00 or so)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: