Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:37:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: He can't get a heart transplant because he's autistic really?  (Read 1824 times)
Maidak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:35:41 PM

http://www.change.org/petitions/help-my-autistic-son-get-a-life-saving-heart-transplant?utm_campaign=share_button_mobile&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=9098309

I signed this petition just because after reading this its just a horrible way to be denied surgery. I'd like to see what this community thinks of it. And if you agree sign!

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 12:11:48 AM

There's a horrible lack of information on that petition.  It doesn't even specify his particular heart condition and why transplant surgery is his only option.  Nor does it outline the specific reasons why listing for transplant was denied (the reason would have been more complex than "because he's autistic).  It doesn't mention what actions have been taken under anti-discrimination law, either.

If people aren't going to put effort into the petitions they create - and petitions are generally little more than a feel good thing which change nothing - they can't expect much of a response.

Give people all the relevant information and there's a good likelihood that people will pressure the hospital which made the decision about not listing him for transplant.  A senate petition will go nowhere when it lacks any concrete information.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
TruSteve84

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:19:11 AM

There's a horrible lack of information on that petition.  It doesn't even specify his particular heart condition and why transplant surgery is his only option.  Nor does it outline the specific reasons why listing for transplant was denied (the reason would have been more complex than "because he's autistic).  It doesn't mention what actions have been taken under anti-discrimination law, either.

If people aren't going to put effort into the petitions they create - and petitions are generally little more than a feel good thing which change nothing - they can't expect much of a response.

Give people all the relevant information and there's a good likelihood that people will pressure the hospital which made the decision about not listing him for transplant.  A senate petition will go nowhere when it lacks any concrete information.
QFT. As I read this i felt i needed more details to become involved..
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:24:27 AM

http://www.change.org/petitions/help-my-autistic-son-get-a-life-saving-heart-transplant?utm_campaign=share_button_mobile&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=9098309

I signed this petition just because after reading this its just a horrible way to be denied surgery. I'd like to see what this community thinks of it. And if you agree sign!

Interesting that he has a book he's trying to sell and it magically gets sold out in time with this petition  Roll Eyes

BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:56:18 AM

What would be better than signing one petition?  Be an organ donor.  If there were enough donors, nobody would need to to decide who is 'fit enough' for a lifesaving transplant and who is not.  'nuff said.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:41:54 AM

people pay for their medical insurance, shoulda researched their insurance if they did not before starting to pay for it

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:51:09 AM

My first thought is "Would the quality of life and chance of survival a heart transplant would give him be better than everyone else on the list for a heart?"

"he could not name all his medications" - Meaning he would always need someone else, and should that someone else make a mistake with medicine he needs to keep the replacement heart healthy, then the transplant is a waste.

"he has never smoked or drank alcohol" - So then something else cause his condition? will it happen with a new heart?

Perhaps he isn't on the list simply because he would always be on the bottom of it

I'm not a doctor, but I've seen every episode of House, so obviously I know what I am talking about :p

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:52:58 AM

My first thought is "Would the quality of life and chance of survival a heart transplant would give him be better than everyone else on the list for a heart?"

"he could not name all his medications" - Meaning he would always need someone else, and should that someone else make a mistake with medicine he needs to keep the replacement heart healthy, then the transplant is a waste.

"he has never smoked or drank alcohol" - So then something else cause his condition? will it happen with a new heart?

Perhaps he isn't on the list simply because he would always be on the bottom of it

I'm not a doctor, but I've seen every episode of House, so obviously I know what I am talking about :p

so there are prioritis on the list not everyone put at the bottom?

drakahn

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:56:01 AM

I did mention I get all my medical knowledge from a mix of US TV Shows and my arse right?

so, sure, there are priorities, an otherwise healthy 18 year old girl with high chances of survival and lots of money would get a heart pretty quickly

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:10:59 AM

I did mention I get all my medical knowledge from a mix of US TV Shows and my arse right?

so, sure, there are priorities, an otherwise healthy 18 year old girl with high chances of survival and lots of money would get a heart pretty quickly

Too bad there's no opt-in and opt-out for Obamacare

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 05:41:47 AM

there are priorities, an otherwise healthy 18 year old girl with high chances of survival and lots of money would get a heart pretty quickly

She'd win your heart, drakahn?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
drakahn

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:45:50 AM

there are priorities, an otherwise healthy 18 year old girl with high chances of survival and lots of money would get a heart pretty quickly

No, just a matter of potential, A fertile otherwise healthy male works just as well, but if it we're up to me we would already be using cloned hearts, or at least full mechanical hearts.... 3D printed custom hearts... genetically modified baboon hearts.... you know, anything we could make in numbers bigger than we would need, just in case a contagious heart disease pops up and pulls a spanish flu.

And my heart is staying with me until I get my robot body, Anyone know where I can sign up to be the first human test of a digital brain upload?

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:53:55 AM

No, just a matter of potential, A fertile otherwise healthy male works just as well, but if it we're up to me we would already be using cloned hearts, or at least full mechanical hearts.... 3D printed custom hearts... genetically modified baboon hearts.... you know, anything we could make in numbers bigger than we would need, just in case a contagious heart disease pops up and pulls a spanish flu.

And my heart is staying with me until I get my robot body, Anyone know where I can sign up to be the first human test of a digital brain upload?

Ask Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory

drakahn

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:58:58 AM

Ask Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory
He is a fictional character, I would prefer to like, find out the leading researcher into brain->hard drive transfers is both a bitcoin fanatic, and looking for a test subject.

legolouman

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:02:20 AM

From what I understand, you can opt out, however, doing so can result in fees or something. I like the 'end of life' courses you have to take once you hit 65

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:34:42 PM

From what I understand, you can opt out, however, doing so can result in fees or something. I like the 'end of life' courses you have to take once you hit 65

My understanding is if you don't have any medical insurance you pay more taxes, and are then opt in for obamacare
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:10:03 PM

Yes.  It's called triage.  People who are most likely to benefit from the transplant (e.g. young and otherwise healthy) get a higher priority than people who would likely benefit less.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:35:52 PM

Yes.  It's called triage.  People who are most likely to benefit from the transplant (e.g. young and otherwise healthy) get a higher priority than people who would likely benefit less.

Mhmmhmm, And im totally in favor of it, Do i need a new heart? YES. Does someone else need a new one? YES.
So how do we chose who gets it? First come first serve? Healthy Hearted people would get thier first Always, And get new hearts.
Or by Sap Sob story like the autistic person=They always get it.
Or by consideration of lifetime expectancy mixed with the potential ROI that said Heart Needer would provide in comparison to the other Heart Needer.

The third option is called Triage. And is an extremely good system.

Yes you would be right in saying "but that 75yr old man needs a new heart! He'll die without it! Give him a new heart!, Save his life!"
But at the same time, You could be robbing someone like... Tom Cruise? (do people still care about him?) of a new heart (Lets say he's been having Freak heart attacks frequently) just because "the other guy is going to die soon"

Well HOOOLY FUCK PEOPLE, Think about it, If the "He's gonna die without it!" people get new hearts. The hearts are fucking going in the garbage can in comparison.
Why? 75yr old, Maybe another 15yrs of life that, that heart will fuel.
Guy on Triage Priority-> xyz Long Life expectancy based off of a Massive amount of considerations, Age,Wealth,Education,Race,Health and so on.

Really guys. Why give the Damaged, Soon to break car a new Engine, When instead you can replace the Engine on a much newer, Higher performance car.
(23yr old olympian althelte, vs 55yr old Heavily Experianced Hardworking old guy)

Sorry, But i vote in the oppisite direction that this thread desires 

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 10:16:25 PM

While Dick Cheney gets his new heart.

Lol.  This is a hard one.

Can't say I support equal access to life saving efforts involving scarce resources for the severely handicapped compared to otherwise healthy and functional individuals.  At some point the idea of 'everyone deserves everything because we are all human beings,' is unable to hide it's flaws and must give way to reality.

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 10:24:26 PM

why not just go highest bidder

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: