Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:42:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm BIP38 curious, please help me out!  (Read 8480 times)
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:35:32 PM

Well, no luck trying some random shots, neither compiling anything to bruteforce this... I'll quit for now and I bet when I come here later today there will be no more funds, lol

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dirbaio

Activity: 3
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 01:10:35 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 03:52:19 AM by Dirbaio
Merited by LoyceV (2)

Trying the second one with all 5-letter english words right now... All lowercase, I hope there's no uppercase letters Smiley

EDIT: Found it! The password was 'grAce'. and DAMMIT someone beat me by ~2 hours Sad

EDIT2: And I'm not even going to try the 3rd one. I can try ~20 passwords per second with my current setup, and I've calculated cracking it will take ~30 years...

Thanks for the fun challenge! Smiley
minimalB (OP)
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 07:35:50 AM

Trying the second one with all 5-letter english words right now... All lowercase, I hope there's no uppercase letters Smiley

EDIT: Found it! The password was 'grAce'. and DAMMIT someone beat me by ~2 hours Sad

EDIT2: And I'm not even going to try the 3rd one. I can try ~20 passwords per second with my current setup, and I've calculated cracking it will take ~30 years...

Wow... 2 out of 3 already cracked... good job guys! Yes, password for second one is "grAce".

I guess third one is going to be a little harder to crack : )
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:35:46 AM
Merited by LoyceV (2)

Interesting challenges.

I guess it is almost impossible to crack the third one. I did some searches and math:

First wallet: About 800 4-letter names x lower/upper cases => 12k to 13k

Second wallet: About 9000 5 letter words x lower/upper cases => 250k to 300k

Third wallet: Exactly 52^6 = 19,770,609,664

The fastest cracker we have, Dirbaio, can do 20 tries/second. He will take about about 31.34 years to find! No one will commit this much energy and time to crack the wallet with only 0.1BTC, and therefore the puzzle will not be solved... unless minimalB is going to provide some hints.
amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:59:39 AM

Interesting challenges.

I guess it is almost impossible to crack the third one. I did some searches and math:

The fastest cracker we have, Dirbaio, can do 20 tries/second. He will take about about 31.34 years to find! No one will commit this much energy and time to crack the wallet with only 0.1BTC, and therefore the puzzle will not be solved... unless minimalB is going to provide some hints.
omg what a long time will take 31.34 years to crack with your maths calculation but i think if someone have luck then can be cracked in 31.34 seconds. Wink
7788bitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 09:04:46 AM

Interesting challenges.

omg what a long time will take 31.34 years to crack with your maths calculation but i think if someone have luck then can be cracked in 31.34 seconds. Wink

LOL! Very true! If you are lucky, you can generate a random address (with private key) and it may be the richest address!
Havelivi

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:42:01 AM

Interesting challenges.

LOL! Very true! If you are lucky, you can generate a random address (with private key) and it may be the richest address!
i think luck is most important factor to get free bitcoins from cracking private key, but sometime skill works in that kind of matter.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 01:35:00 PM

Interesting challenges.

i think luck is most important factor to get free bitcoins from cracking private key, but sometime skill works in that kind of matter.

Very much so.  You can get the key on the first try or on the last.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 01:45:22 PM

Wow 6 chars is that strong eh.. dang..
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:52:45 PM

What tool did you use? Any good tutorials around?
trafficolaa
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:08:48 PM

i also would like to know about that if any thread or tutorials available to know how to crack that pib38, i got pib38 cracker but it's not working for me, any other good software for that?
minimalB (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 09:54:07 PM

OK, lets spice things up a little bit.

Third wallet (with 6 random characters from a-Z) now has 0.5 BTC prize.

And I added the Fourth one with 5 random characters using only lower case letters from "a" to "z".

****************************   FOURTH   **************************

Bitcoin Address:
15p4qtmfRyTHfPYFRmhGYVGhP9FEZYrFsu

Encrypted Private Key:
6PfTCyR1k5FDHwFXm9Uch5aTGXLQQDtzbQt3sKxmN8i2HppJecyoHbzb9i

Password: 5 random characters (small English letters only (a-z))

Prize: 0.2 BTC

I will add the forth wallet to OP also.
Dirbaio

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 07:36:56 AM

And I added the Fourth one with 5 random characters using only lower case letters from "a" to "z".
That sounds more affordable than the 6-char one Wink
Will give it a try now.

I used this one: https://github.com/notespace/bip38-cracker
It's quite broken though, I had to fix it. I'll try to clean it up and post it to my github soon. Here's a quick summary of what has to be fixed:

- picocoin submodule broken -> point it to https://github.com/jgarzik/picocoin
- Fix build scripts
- (This one drove me nuts) EC point conversion is broken, it should convert the passpoint as compressed and the pubkey as uncompressed, it was doing both compressed. I made a quick ugly hack in picocoin to workaround this.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:12:26 AM

That sounds more affordable than the 6-char one Wink
Will give it a try now.

I used this one: https://github.com/notespace/bip38-cracker
It's quite broken though, I had to fix it. I'll try to clean it up and post it to my github soon. Here's a quick summary of what has to be fixed:

- picocoin submodule broken -> point it to https://github.com/jgarzik/picocoin
- Fix build scripts
- (This one drove me nuts) EC point conversion is broken, it should convert the passpoint as compressed and the pubkey as uncompressed, it was doing both compressed. I made a quick ugly hack in picocoin to workaround this.

Seems like you have quite a bit of processing power. Congratulations, what was the pass on this one?
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:14:17 AM

I would like to get in on this too.
I just have no idea on how to do the cracking.

But it would be cool to learn ;P

Dirbaio

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 09:02:51 AM
Merited by LoyceV (2)

Code here -> https://github.com/Dirbaio/bip38-cracker
I've put installation instructions in the readme. Tested with Ubuntu 14.10.

Actually there was this other repo that was linked earlier ( https://github.com/cscott/bip38-cracker ) that is quite faster, probably because it uses scrypt-jane. I fixed it up to read the passwords from stdin so I can either crack from a wordlist or a generated list. Stuff's explained in the README.

It took ~20 hours on three n1-highcpu-16 machines on Google Compute. Each one did ~50 passwords per second, 150 total.
It cost around $38 overall.

So yes, cracking 5-char passwords is definitely feasible for relatively cheap. Would be way cheaper if I had used my own hardware.

The password? The cracker sent me the coins and then I destroyed the instances without writing down the password, silly me. Sorry! Sad
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 11:07:51 AM

Actually there was this other repo that was linked earlier ( https://github.com/cscott/bip38-cracker ) that is quite faster, probably because it uses scrypt-jane. I fixed it up to read the passwords from stdin so I can either crack from a wordlist or a generated list. Stuff's explained in the README.

It took ~20 hours on three n1-highcpu-16 machines on Google Compute. Each one did ~50 passwords per second, 150 total.

So yes, cracking 5-char passwords is definitely feasible for relatively cheap. Would be way cheaper if I had used my own hardware.

The password? The cracker sent me the coins and then I destroyed the instances without writing down the password, silly me. Sorry! Sad

Well... you seem to have a lot horsepower Tongue Quite a bit more than my modest 4 cores.

I'm using this https://github.com/cculianu/brute38 as it's easier to setup the wordlist, allows stopping and resuming and it allows to split the work for several computers. I don't know if the tool you linked is capable of the last two.

Meanwhile, I tested your tool. It has about the same performance as the tool I'm currently using on my devices (about 1 password/second/per core). It would be pretty cool to measure both tools face to face, but the differences in hardware are just too big Smiley

PS: the tool I linked is also outdated. If you need updated files and help setting up, feel free to send me a PM.
dalek

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 08:25:19 PM

PS: the tool I linked is also outdated. If you need updated files and help setting up, feel free to send me a PM.
Can you make a github fork like how Dirbaio did?

▄▄█████████▄▄
       ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
     ▄██▀▀               ▀▀██▄
    ██▀                    ████
   ██                     ███▀██
  ██                    ▄██▀   ██
 ██                    ▄██      ██
██▀                  ▄██▀      ▄███
██                  ▄██      ▄██▀██
██                 ██▀    ▄███▀  ██
██               ▄██▀   ▄██▀     ██
██▄             ▄██  ▄███▀      ▄██
 ██           ▄██▀ ▄██▀         ██
  ██         ▄██▄███▀          ██
   ██       █████▀            ██
    ██▄   ▄████▀            ▄██
     ▀██▄███▀            ▄▄██▀
       ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
           ▀▀█████████▀▀
L I V E T R E E   A D E P T TM
Own the future of entertainment
The World's 1st Community-Powered,
Film, TV and Content Network  ★
minimalB (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 09:20:22 PM

@Dirbaio: Congrats!

I hope there are hackers out there going after the last one... I am really curious how long will it take...
7788bitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:01:20 AM

Wow, congratulations! Lots of computing power is required! Are you trying the 6 random letter challenge?
I guess if OP not giving further hint, it will not be cracked in many years.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: