Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 10:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: web scraping for wallet.dat  (Read 2936 times)
timeshareafrica (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 09:42:37 AM

Out of a economical curiosity I wounder at which point would it be more economical to scrape the web for wallet.dat`s and than spend the time and processor power to brute force the password instead of using the time and processor to mine BTC.
 This would be the turning point for the hashrate and obviousely the value of the BTC. Huh
Sad but true
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 10:29:14 AM

Out of a economical curiosity I wounder at which point would it be more economical to scrape the web for wallet.dat`s and than spend the time and processor power to brute force the password instead of using the time and processor to mine BTC.
 This would be the turning point for the hashrate and obviousely the value of the BTC. Huh
Sad but true

Don't know what you mean by "scraping" the web, but wallet.dat files are not accessible on the public internet. You usually have to hack into someone's system in order to steal a wallet. Or you have to be a corrupt employee of a cloud storage/ web hosting service. 

This has already happened several times, but it is becoming more difficult even for talented hackers, as the bitcoin community is becoming smarter about security.

Brute forcing the password will not work with the original Bitcoin client, unless the victim uses an embarrassingly weak password such as "1234".  The client uses multiple rounds of hashing in order to make brute force attacks expensive.

Yes, for a handful of highly skilled black hat hackers it will always be more economical to steal wallets from careless bitcoin users, rather than doing honest work.  But the majority of miners possess neither the skill nor the criminal energy to make their money this way.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Moose

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:18:19 AM

Many wallet.dat files aren't password protected though mine certainly isn't..
deus-ex-machina

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 10:35:32 PM

Luckily, those are testnet.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 12:00:36 AM

Sad but true

Don't know what you mean by "scraping" the web, but wallet.dat files are not accessible on the public internet. You usually have to hack into someone's system in order to steal a wallet. Or you have to be a corrupt employee of a cloud storage/ web hosting service. 

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=intitle:index.of++-html+-htm+-php+-asp+-txt+-pls+wallet.dat&oq=intitle:index.of++-html+-htm+-php+-asp+-txt+-pls+wallet.dat&gs_l=hp.3...3387.3387.5.3947.1.1.0.0.0.0.48.48.1.1.0.les%3Befrsh..0.0...1.EMtX7-UHH2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=66a4114761f62281&biw=1280&bih=702

or it can be done with google Smiley

I tried it but my Google-fu wasn't high enough to come up with the query, this is awesome.

So snatching wallet.dat's is plausible.  If you think nobody would ever put out a real wallet like this, consider that all sorts of sensitive info gets accidentally published and indexed by Google and is searchable with clever queries like this.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: