Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:58:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP38 and metal bitcoin wallet solutions  (Read 683 times)
inca (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:48:50 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 09:10:58 PM by inca

I have my coins in cold storage with addresses generated using bitaddress.org offline. I have AES encrypted digital copies of the key pairs and kept them on usb sticks using gpg. The private keys have never been on an internet enabled machine.

I am interested in purchasing a metal cold storage wallet for long term physical storage of my coins securely. I am worried about leaving the data on usb devices over many years in case it degrades.

Something which has caught my eye which is metal bitcoin wallets which are nigh on indestructible. They seem to use BIP38, which encrypts the private key with a passphrase and returns a 6P address and QR code which can be swept easily into modern wallet software once decrypted. This seems an elegant solution and cooler than a usb stick and messing around with gpg on a linux offline laptop.

My question is how can I get a BIP 38 encrypted private key from a private key I have generated using dice or a mycelium entropy?

Obviously as this is for cold storage funds it must be secure..

Thanks

EDIT: i would have thought this was possible with bitaddress.org but although i can enter dice rolls and keys into it, it wants to generate new key pairs before it applies the BIP38 encryption.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:49:44 PM

I have my coins in cold storage with addresses generated using bitaddress.org offline. I have AES encrypted digital copies of the key pairs and kept them on usb sticks using gpg. The private keys have never been on an internet enabled machine.

I am interested in purchasing a metal cold storage wallet for long term physical storage of my coins securely. I am worried about leaving the data on usb devices over many years in case it degrades.

Something which has caught my eye which is metal bitcoin wallets which are nigh on indestructible. They seem to use BIP38, which encrypts the private key with a passphrase and returns a 6P address and QR code which can be swept easily into modern wallet software once decrypted. This seems an elegant solution and cooler than a usb stick and messing around with gpg on a linux offline laptop.

My question is how can I get a BIP 38 encrypted private key from a private key I have generated using dice or a mycelium entropy?

Thanks

EDIT: i would have thought this was possible with bitaddress.org but although i can enter dice rolls and keys into it, it wants to generate new key pairs before it applies the BIP38 encryption.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0038.mediawiki - Here is the actual BIP it has alot of great information.

You could try using this JS Library: http://cryptocoinjs.com/modules/currency/bip38/

Code:
var Bip38 = require('bip38');
var privateKeyWif = '5KN7MzqK5wt2TP1fQCYyHBtDrXdJuXbUzm4A9rKAteGu3Qi5CVR'; //Your Private Key generated from Dicerolls
var bip38 = new Bip38();
var encrypted = bip38.encrypt(privateKeyWif, 'TestingOneTwoThree', "1Jq6MksXQVWzrznvZzxkV6oY57oWXD9TXB");
console.log(encrypted); // => 6PRVWUbkzzsbcVac2qwfssoUJAN1Xhrg6bNk8J7Nzm5H7kxEbn2Nh2ZoGg
inca (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:53:49 PM

Thanks

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0038.mediawiki - Here is the actual BIP it has alot of great information.

You could try using this JS Library: http://cryptocoinjs.com/modules/currency/bip38/

Code:
var Bip38 = require('bip38');
var privateKeyWif = '5KN7MzqK5wt2TP1fQCYyHBtDrXdJuXbUzm4A9rKAteGu3Qi5CVR'; //Your Private Key generated from Dicerolls
var bip38 = new Bip38();
var encrypted = bip38.encrypt(privateKeyWif, 'TestingOneTwoThree', "1Jq6MksXQVWzrznvZzxkV6oY57oWXD9TXB");
console.log(encrypted); // => 6PRVWUbkzzsbcVac2qwfssoUJAN1Xhrg6bNk8J7Nzm5H7kxEbn2Nh2ZoGg

Brilliant thanks. Surprised there isnt a precompiled binary with a checksum out there though. I can't be the first person to try this! Smiley
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:06:56 PM

Well, https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/ can also do what you need. Go to validate or decrypt, put your private key there, click on print and activate BIP protection Smiley

Or simply make a new address and sweep your funds there! Probably safer Smiley
ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:54:28 AM

you can always change your bitcoins to a new wallet.
what seller have you seen?

I have this noted bitkee,cryobit.

Is not the seller offering you the way to give him the BIP38 encrypted key?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: