Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:15:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Better to mine through minderD or other, or in LTC client?  (Read 2343 times)
Coreadrin_47 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:16:00 PM

First of all, I'm wondering if it's possible to use the LTC client to run pooled mining from OZCoin or another pooled site.  Or is everyone using a mining program like minerD for pooled mining?

Any tips would be appreciated.  I spent some time mining bitcoins way, way back when Robert Prechter put out a commentary in his publication back in very early 2011 (I'm an e-wave trader in other financial assets when I swing trade).  Best ROI of my life at this point, over 10,000% return on investment for the ones that I bought.

I'm a huge believer in competition and I think LTC has what it takes, because it's got the same "perfect money" profile as BTC with all of the same inherent strengths and potential weaknesses.  I would like to see LTC grow and offer a strong secondary alternative to bitcoins, especially in the eventual brick and mortar world, where it would actually be more useful than BTC thanks to its far faster confirmation times.  In the meantime, I'm interested in mining some.  If anyone is using the actual LTC client to mine successfully through a pool, I'd be grateful if they shared the pros and cons.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ericrw14

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 05:13:44 PM

the litecoin client uses minerd to mine, so you can use either to mine
the client gives you a gui, but if i wanted a gui i would go with https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62414.0 over the client
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 09:28:40 PM

I'm a huge believer in competition and I think LTC has what it takes, because it's got the same "perfect money" profile as BTC with all of the same inherent strengths and potential weaknesses.  I would like to see LTC grow and offer a strong secondary alternative to bitcoins, especially in the eventual brick and mortar world, where it would actually be more useful than BTC thanks to its far faster confirmation times. 
LTC is no real competitor to BTC because it is basically just relabeled BTC. Confirmations are a tool against double spends, and the actual level of security is in the roam of network hashing power * number of confirmations * average block time. So for each confirmation on BTC one has to wait probably 10 on LTC, in other words, way longer, to get the same level of security against a double spend.
Coreadrin_47 (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 10:58:28 PM

I'm a huge believer in competition and I think LTC has what it takes, because it's got the same "perfect money" profile as BTC with all of the same inherent strengths and potential weaknesses.  I would like to see LTC grow and offer a strong secondary alternative to bitcoins, especially in the eventual brick and mortar world, where it would actually be more useful than BTC thanks to its far faster confirmation times. 
LTC is no real competitor to BTC because it is basically just relabeled BTC. Confirmations are a tool against double spends, and the actual level of security is in the roam of network hashing power * number of confirmations * average block time. So for each confirmation on BTC one has to wait probably 10 on LTC, in other words, way longer, to get the same level of security against a double spend.

Well, the more the merrier then.  I'm a huge fan of bitcoin, but I'm also a huge fan of the derivative nature of all human progress, and I see LTC picking up in bitcoin's shadow as more people adopt BTC as a payment method.  I'm sure it will be driven almost entirely by speculative fervor, for a time, but it does have a bright future.  My little bit of hashing power is just another check and balance on a wonderful idea! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: