Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:33:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Bitcoin community should support BurtW.  (Read 1151 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JeanW (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:21:18 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 04:08:02 AM by JeanW

I read some pretty snarky comments on the Bitcoin thread regarding Burt’s arrest and felt it necessary to start a new thread on this subject.  Mocking our family’s situation is in poor taste.  Making fun of our request for help shows a darkness of soul that is to be pitied.  A child’s life has been forever altered because of these events.  This is serious and should not be the subject of gossip or idle speculation or mockery.  I am not a member of the Bitcoin community.  I have been impressed by those trying to help our daughter recover her savings.  I have been shocked by the cruelty of others.  I’ve given everyone the ability to contact me directly.  Many here seem to prefer to gossip than learn the facts.  Micon and one other person are the only two to contact me.

Burt is a trader just like the rest of you.  His is a middle-aged electrical engineer who has been a long time Bitcoin enthusiast and investor.  If Burt needs a business license to trade for himself, then ALL of you need a business license too.

The IRS views Bitcoins as an investment for individual trading, like stocks and bonds.  The gains and losses are taxed accordingly.  If you acquire a federal business license and call yourself a business, then you will need to comply with different IRS rules and regulations as well as state rules and regulations.

The attack on Burt by the U.S. Justice Department is an attack on Bitcoins and the Bitcoin community.  You should help defend your Bitcoin community.  You could easily be next.  Burt was targeted long before the Florida arrests.  Chances are, some of you are already in the government’s cross-hairs.

Why help Burt?  Burt is a good person who has worked hard all of his life.  He always helps a friend or family member in need.  He helps other engineers find jobs.  He has taught Bridge and Biblical Greek to senior citizens to help keep them active.  Over the years our family has made generous contributions to numerous charities including the Red Cross during disasters.  We have both volunteered countless hours at our church (we are Methodist).  Burt served on the Staff Parish Relations Committee for a term.  I taught Sunday school until I had to retire during this school year due to the stress from being attacked and betrayed by our country.  Burt volunteered at our daughter’s school and taught math to 3rd graders.  

Since 2004 we have donated over $40,000 to nonprofits.  We are the ones who need help now.  Since Burt is being targeted for investing in Bitcoins, we had hoped the Bitcoin community would help us.

Because of the Justice Department’s attack on our family, we had to stop our contributions to our church, There with Care, water.org, Partners in Health, the Emergency Family Assistance Association and many other charities.  We are still sponsoring a child in Peru even though we really shouldn’t because of the legal fees.  We didn’t want her to suffer because of the U.S. Justice Department's actions against our family.

Yes, our legal fees and costs have reached $200,000.00.  It is an astronomical sum.  It represents our retirement fund, our daughter’s education, and the loan we took out against our home to pay the fees.  We are trying to raise $80,000.00.  Defending an innocent person bankrupts a family.

Ask yourself.  If the government believed you needed a business license, should the government send you a letter advising you to get a license? Or, should the government storm your house, throw you in solitary confinement, bankrupt your family, take all of your electronics and Bitcoins and cash, ruin your thirty year old business and cause financial loss to three Colorado companies?

A notice from the government is the reasonable person’s answer.

Should Burt be deprived of the right to vote, own arms, and volunteer at his daughter’s school because he failed to get a business license for a personal hobby?  Hell no is the right answer.

This case is not about paperwork, i.e., the business license.  This is an attack on the Bitcoin community and Bitcoins.  

I imagine most of you on Bitcointalk are fairly young and inexperienced.  Burt is old enough to be your father.  Imagine the government surrounding your father’s house, putting your father in shackles, putting your father in solitary confinement, and ruining your father’s business all for not having a business license.  You too would be angry and demanding justice.

There will be no justice.  The best we can hope for is to raise enough money so that our daughter doesn’t lose the only home she has ever known.  She will always be traumatized by what has happened.  She will never trust or believe in the United States.

Our family appreciates any financial help you can give us.  Our websites are www.burtw.com and www.jmwagner.com  

Thanks,

Jean Wagner
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:36:46 AM

Bitcoiners should remember that what happened to Burt can happen to any of us. Even I have sold coins through Localbitcoins multiple times. If exchanging and trading our hard earned coins is such a crime, then let the FBI come and arrest all of us.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 03:59:11 AM

I'm curious to know and am just asking as a constructive clarification:  How did the price of your court representation become so high?

Was it for the retainer costs or the cost of due process?   I, as an individual don't have 200,000 USD to pay lawyers, what would happen if I had no representation other than myself?  Would I remain incarcerated or would I also be able to request leave on my Own Recognizance? 

Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 07:53:51 AM

Ask yourself.  If the government believed you needed a business license, should the government send you a letter advising you to get a license? Or, should the government storm your house, throw you in solitary confinement, bankrupt your family, take all of your electronics and Bitcoins and cash, ruin your thirty year old business and cause financial loss to three Colorado companies?

This is the issue right here. In a sane society, with a government of the people and by the people, this would not be allowed to happen. But with so many government agencies on a war footing, these types of actions are happening across the nation for offenses that once would have entailed a certified letter or a knock on the door.

The government is now in the business of seizing the assets of its citizens using any means necessary, and due process is in many ways, an anachronism. Civil asset forfeiture isn't all that different from the bills of attainder used by the British to seize assets during the Revolutionary war.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:21:13 AM

he should be using the Cryptocurrency Constitution in his defense that's what is was made for,

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:29:41 AM

I only contributed a very small amount, I would like to contribute more and I will but also have bills of my own.
I really hope things will get better. 

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:39:47 AM

Burt should use his defense to show them how to make a wallet keep it secure then load it with a few coins,

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:57:21 AM

Your story can be really everyone's.
And it's so sad to see so many views and so few replies.

I hope the best for you guys.
If I can, even with a little, I'll help.

All the best
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:38:16 AM

im sure a lot of community members are feeling for your family and they are hoping that this case can be closed soon for your family.

people that are flaming pretty much have no clue about the BurtW case or are just plain stupid.

good luck for everything!

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
JeanW (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:40:22 AM

On July 13, 2015, the federal case against Burt was dismissed at the request of the Department of Justice.  Unfortunately the debt incurred to fight the spurious charge and the damage done to Burt's reputation remains.  Thank you to those who have supported our family during this difficult time.  
-- Jean
www.jmwagner.com and www.burtw.com
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:45:11 AM

I am proud to have donated .5 btc to the piggybank fund.
VERY happy Burt was exonerated!  Yay! Cheesy

TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:57:44 AM

On July 13, 2015, the federal case against Burt was dismissed at the request of the Department of Justice.  Unfortunately the debt incurred to fight the spurious charge and the damage done to Burt's reputation remains.  Thank you to those who have supported our family during this difficult time.  
-- Jean
www.jmwagner.com and www.burtw.com

That's great news.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: