Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:35:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do AntMiners comply with FCC Part 15?  (Read 1621 times)
Geremia (OP)

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 04:49:16 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 09:38:55 PM by Geremia

Do AntMiners comply with Part 15 of the U.S. Federal Communication Commission's rules and regulations?

Implicit in my question is what percentage of watts going into an AntMiner get converted to RF interference. If it's a lot, it could be a safety issue, especially since the cases of many AntMiners (e.g., S5s) are open and thus do not act as Faraday cages.

UPDATE: Answer: Yes, they do. Their sales page says "Certified By: FCC / CE."

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
Join Kraken. | The best, free book on Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin
Nos cum prole pia benedicat Virgo Maria.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:25:27 PM

I have a decent amount of Bitmain and other gear.  I don't think any of my asics would have trouble complying with this.

I do have a amateur radio license and I am able to go on many freq's and have never had trouble with interference from asics.
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 05:35:35 PM

I do have a amateur radio license and I am able to go on many freq's and have never had trouble with interference from asics.
Me, too
I tuned to 350 MHz on my radio, the freq at which my S5s are operating, and I heard quit a lot of interference (squelch had to be set above 10 on my Yaesu handheld just to silence it). I changed the freq of the AntMiner, tuned to 350 MHz again, and didn't hear anything. I tuned to the miner's new frequency and heard the same noise. Certainly the S5s, not being in completely enclosed cases / Faraday cages, emit more RF interference than enclosed miners, but it doesn't seem to be much, considering my power levels decrease fairly rapidly with increasing distance my handheld Yaesu is from the miners.

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:53:20 PM

let me tell you how much a Chinese manufacture cares about Merican regulations.  0, zero %.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 05:57:05 PM

let me tell you how much a Chinese manufacture cares about Merican regulations.  0, zero %.

About as much as they do with some of the class c fireworks that I have seen which if handled wrong could easily blow a part of your body off.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:04:05 PM

Me, too
I tuned to 350 MHz on my radio, the freq at which my S5s are operating, and I heard quit a lot of interference (squelch had to be set above 10 on my Yaesu handheld just to silence it). I changed the freq of the AntMiner, tuned to 350 MHz again, and didn't hear anything. I tuned to the miner's new frequency and heard the same noise. Certainly the S5s, not being in completely enclosed cases / Faraday cages, emit more RF interference than enclosed miners, but it doesn't seem to be much, considering my power levels decrease fairly rapidly with increasing distance my handheld Yaesu is from the miners.

I would guess it is to do with the electricity as much as anything your talking about a decent amount of watts.   And it would create a electric field that farther you get away less it is.  I cant think of the device name but I have one where I can see if electric is flowing through a cable just by the air around it because of the electric field.

Go by something else with 550-600 watts of electricity and I think you will see a small amount of interference no matter what it is.  If you really want interference look at a electric drill going along antenna wire, or run near a microwave.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:08:40 PM

Me, too

I would guess it is to do with the electricity as much as anything your talking about a decent amount of watts.   And it would create a electric field that farther you get away less it is.  I cant think of the device name but I have one where I can see if electric is flowing through a cable just by the air around it because of the electric field.

Go by something else with 550-600 watts of electricity and I think you will see a small amount of interference no matter what it is.  If you really want interference look at a electric drill going along antenna wire, or run near a microwave.

A current transformer... They are used every where!
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:23:04 PM

Do AntMiners comply with Part 15 of the U.S. Federal Communication Commission's rules and regulations?

Implicit in my question is what percentage of watts going into an AntMiner get converted to RF interference. If it's a lot, it could be a safety issue, especially since the cases of many AntMiners (e.g., S5s) are open and thus do not act as Faraday cages.
Good question.  Wish I still had my meter from the cable company.  I'm sure it's not noticeable.  But that would explain all of Boeings planes falling out of the sky by my house. Grin
toptekk

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 06:32:18 PM

They do according  to the papers bitmain posted on the S5  post the other day .
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:11:49 PM

They do according  to the papers bitmain posted on the S5  post the other day .

I personally don't doubt that they do.  I have used a few mobile HAM radios, and one big scanner.   No issues and I have decent amount of miners and have had zero issues.

If you go right up to anything with lot's of electricity it will cause interference right around it.  But again you turn up squelch if for some reason you feel you need to transmit with your head right next to a miner.
charles2k

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:56:18 PM

I have many various Antminers at my home and I have no problem with radio, TV, Wi-Fi (and on my roof is 8 Wi-Fi AP 2,4 and 5GHz ).
Much worse it is with my Espresso coffee machines :-)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 09:00:14 PM

I have many various Antminers at my home and I have no problem with radio, TV, Wi-Fi (and on my roof is 8 Wi-Fi AP 2,4 and 5GHz ).

My  worst is my microwave.  If I use it I can count on no wifi in the kitchen till it's done Smiley.  

Other then that rest of items seem pretty low on interference.  I to have wifi, tv, radio, amateur radio, and a "micro cell" that makes a cellular connection from your internet.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 10:17:48 PM

My  worst is my microwave.  If I use it I can count on no wifi in the kitchen till it's done Smiley.  

Other then that rest of items seem pretty low on interference.  I to have wifi, tv, radio, amateur radio, and a "micro cell" that makes a cellular connection from your internet.

Sounds like the shielding on your microwave is toast, put some metal screen around it and you should be able to use wifi in the kitchen again.  I'm sure your wife would like a metal cage around the microwave, too.  Grin
tertius993

Activity: 1029
Merit: 712

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:05:35 PM

Reviving this thread as I have just acquired a secondhand S3 that seems to produce a ton of RF interference.

No radio (by which I mean normal broadcast FM or DAB radio) will work at all within about 15 feet of the miner.  Unfortunately I haven't a lot of flexibility with siting it and so at the moment I can't use it at all.  Switch the miner on and about 5 seconds later the radio can't find a station (DAB) or just has static (FM).

I'm confident I've isolated it to the miner itself as the cause.

Anyone experienced this or got any ideas how to address it?
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:11:04 PM

Reviving this thread as I have just acquired a secondhand S3 that seems to produce a ton of RF interference.

No radio (by which I mean normal broadcast FM or DAB radio) will work at all within about 15 feet of the miner.  Unfortunately I haven't a lot of flexibility with siting it and so at the moment I can't use it at all.  Switch the miner on and about 5 seconds later the radio can't find a station (DAB) or just has static (FM).

Put an Iron case around it..? hehe but really.
tertius993

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:30:18 PM

Well I have thought about something like that, but ...

A) I'd have to get the cables in somehow; and
B) how would I cool it?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:46:31 PM

The case should already be most of a Faraday cage, what with the metal housing and such. Kinda strange that it'd put out so much noise.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Geremia (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 03:20:11 AM

The case should already be most of a Faraday cage, what with the metal housing and such. Kinda strange that it'd put out so much noise.
Yes, 1 cm² chicken wire should work pretty well as a Faraday cage (at least for wavelengths longer than 1 cm). Air/heat passes through chicken wire easily.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 04:34:20 AM

B) how would I cool it?

Are you sure it's the S3 putting out the interference? I know I had 4 or so of them in a room and a HAM radio antenna on the roof above.   I never had any issues.

Is the PSU and radio connected to the same electrical circuit?  If so might look at the PSU itself.  I just really don't see the S3's putting out 15 foot of interference.  They are pretty well encased in a nice metal case.
tertius993

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:52:58 AM

B) how would I cool it?

Are you sure it's the S3 putting out the interference? I know I had 4 or so of them in a room and a HAM radio antenna on the roof above.   I never had any issues.

Is the PSU and radio connected to the same electrical circuit?  If so might look at the PSU itself.  I just really don't see the S3's putting out 15 foot of interference.  They are pretty well encased in a nice metal case.

I am pretty confident it is the S3, I have tested the PSU without the AntMiner; and I have tried both mains and battery powered radios; the issue is only apparent when the AntMiner is active.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: