Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 06:14:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And now what? Long slow slide?  (Read 1683 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 01:08:21 PM

That was kind of similar to last years June - will the correction be similar as well?  Personally I don't think so - but it depends on external factors.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 01:16:24 PM

That was kind of similar to last years June - will the correction be similar as well?

Yes, I think so.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 01:20:27 PM

Unlimited upside!  BTFD!

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
hannesnaude

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Firstbits : 1Hannes

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 01:44:34 PM

Last years crash was due to a change in fundamentals. Until such time as you can get paid in bitcoins and buy everything you need in your day-to-day life for bitcoins a secure and functioning exchange will be a critical part of the bitcoin ecosystem. Mt Gox lost the trust of the community in one fell swoop and had to gradually earn it back.

This years crash is due simply to a big player dumping bitcoins and (intentionally?) setting of a selling panic. There has been no negative news. There's a lot of uncertainty in the market as to how the BST drama will end this week, and how the ending will affect the market. But compared to the loss of the major exchange, this is just a blip. Lots of BST "investors" will be very disappointed this week and some of them will inevitably want to cash out of bitcoin as a result, but for the most part they will have no coins to sell. So I fail to see how even the worst case can approximate last year's drama.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:23:57 PM

There has been no negative news.
What if I told you that a business that was responsible for about 10% of the daily MtGox volume suddenly closed? Would that be negative news? Because that's what happened.

If we're lucky, we might start seeing a slow slide from here on out. However, it is also likely that there will be nothing slow about this at all until $6.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:32:29 PM

Like before. Price drops. Great time to buy! Little pop up. Price drops. Back up the truck! Little pop up. Price drops. Catch falling knife maybe. Oh well, cheap coins at discount. Little pop up. Price drops. I am not getting back in... Lost 40% of money... Price might finally start bottoming soon.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:47:06 PM

markets rise and markets fall. don't worry, it will go back up. just a matter of when.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

Last years crash was due to a change in fundamentals. Until such time as you can get paid in bitcoins and buy everything you need in your day-to-day life for bitcoins a secure and functioning exchange will be a critical part of the bitcoin ecosystem. Mt Gox lost the trust of the community in one fell swoop and had to gradually earn it back.

This years crash is due simply to a big player dumping bitcoins and (intentionally?) setting of a selling panic. There has been no negative news. There's a lot of uncertainty in the market as to how the BST drama will end this week, and how the ending will affect the market. But compared to the loss of the major exchange, this is just a blip. Lots of BST "investors" will be very disappointed this week and some of them will inevitably want to cash out of bitcoin as a result, but for the most part they will have no coins to sell. So I fail to see how even the worst case can approximate last year's drama.

Oh man this post is so full or errors. Where to begin..??

Ok,

1. The bubble of June '11 burst about a week before the gox hack.
2. No change of fundamentals occured back then, just a totally normal rally exhaustion. How long do you think such a rall could have continued?
3. That major player you speak of has not even sold yet (at least I can see no evidence of ONE MAYOR PLAYER selling as of now)
4. There is bad news of bitcoin in the news almost every day. Referring to the closure of BS&T, thats bad news indeed.

I recommend this good read to everyone:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths

No offence, but seriously read it Wink

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 05:51:46 PM

Damn people! Anyone watching the collapse right now? We've seen a 0.75 BTC drop in the last 30 minutes!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:52:51 PM

Damn people! Anyone watching the collapse right now? We've seen a 1 USD/BTC drop in the last 30 minutes!

FTFY

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:53:33 PM

Damn people! Anyone watching the collapse right now? We've seen a 0.75 BTC drop in the last 30 minutes!
Relax. It's only 10k BTC up to 10.40.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 06:07:45 PM

This is the correction that happens BEFORE, not after. Accumulate cheap coins while it's still possible. This might literally be the last chance.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:13:19 PM

BTC are oversold at the moment.  It may fall further at which point it will become ridiculously oversold.  When we hit $12 and beyond on the way up, BTC were ridiculously overbought.  This 'crash' is nothing to worry about, but it's a slight wake-up call for those who think BTC price is ready for lift-off. 

Remember:  There was nothing outside of speculation to justify the rise to $15.  This correction is healthy.

My prediction is come next week we're going to bounce hard.  For those that are waiting for funds to arrive in their exchange accounts, there is a good incentive to prolong this drop so they can buy back in low.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:32:34 PM

A correction is healthy. Allowing Bitcoin to crash to the lowest point in the last 6 months is irresponsible. I wish Wall Street would allow it, then we would be done with the stock market. But what the hell, I'll keep buying at whatever price it's at because anything below $10,000 is a bargain in the long run.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 06:34:32 PM

Damn people! Anyone watching the collapse right now? We've seen a 1 USD/BTC drop in the last 30 minutes!

FTFY

Shocked

It's lingering around ~7.80-8.00 jumping back and forth.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:40:36 PM

Boy it's amazing how fast you guys got used to such a rapidly overinflated price level.  Now the crying sets in.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 06:43:09 PM

I ain't crying. I'm clapping my hands! I miss $2 coins.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 06:54:03 PM

This is very simple.

1. A bubble was forming.  This should be evident to everyone.

2. Pirate is already low on coins, and got problems with his liquidity.  He decides to pull a last stunt to be able to pay back what he owns.

3. Pirate announces the end of his famous fund, and sells all he's still got.  He knows this will make the bubble burst.  And it does.

4. Pirate buys the coins he needs to pay back everyone.

5. The price stabilize on a higher level than before the bubble started rising.  Some of the coins from Pirate will be sold on the market.  On the other hand Pirate has stopped playing with them.

Pirate is heavy in on bets against his own default.  Thousands of BTC.  Not defaulting and cashing in those bets may be his best option.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
hannesnaude

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Firstbits : 1Hannes

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 07:13:07 PM

Oh man this post is so full or errors. Where to begin..??

Ok,

1. The bubble of June '11 burst about a week before the gox hack.
2. No change of fundamentals occured back then, just a totally normal rally exhaustion. How long do you think such a rall could have continued?
3. That major player you speak of has not even sold yet (at least I can see no evidence of ONE MAYOR PLAYER selling as of now)
4. There is bad news of bitcoin in the news almost every day. Referring to the closure of BS&T, thats bad news indeed.

1. The decline from ~$30 to $17, yes. The long slow slide referred to in the title of THIS thread, no.
2. Sure. Having THE BTC/USD exchange closed for trading for several days and realising that the security of the third party that you've been trusting with 10s of thousands of dollars is poor to say the least is not a change in fundamentals.
3. There's no definitive way to tell whether the sell-off was initiated by a single major player or a more organic event. So you've got me there, I was speculating, wrong sub-forum I guess, oh wait...
4. Well let's agree to disagree on this one. Time will tell. If Pirate pays all his customers in full and on time I will gladly admit my error. I trust you will do the same if he doesn't. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: