Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:19:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitaddress.org brain wallet & Electrum  (Read 3101 times)
PrintCoins (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:22:36 PM

Does bitaddress.org use the same method to create a brain wallet as electrum (if you provide the same seed to both, do you get the same addresses?)

Also, I was considering modifying bitaddress's brain wallet generation function to create an arbitrary sized wallet rather than a single address.

So brainWallet(seed) -> address right now

I was considering doing something like:
brainWallet(seed + '2') -> address2
brainWallet(seed + '3') -> address3
brainWallet(seed + '4') -> address4
brainWallet(seed + 'n') -> addressn

To generate any number of addresses based on a seed. You would be able to set the starting index as well as the number of addresses you would like. The starting index is so that you can use the batches of addresses on different services that you run, but still have a single brain wallet.

Does anyone see a problem with the above scheme? Does anyone know how electrum does it?

kaii

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:47:51 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2012, 04:10:03 PM by kaii

I am reading through both of these code bases for the first time. What I have written here is just my take on what's going on.

Does bitaddress.org use the same method to create a brain wallet as electrum

They do not use the same method to generate private keys from a seed.

bitaddress.org -- https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/blob/master/bitaddress.org.html#L3724
Electrum -- https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/lib/wallet.py#L272

With bitaddress.org, the seed that you enter is run through SHA256 to generate the private key.

Code:
var bytes = Crypto.SHA256(key, { asBytes: true });
var btcKey = new Bitcoin.ECKey(bytes);

In contrast, Electrum uses a random number generator to pick a seed for you.

Code:
seed = "%032x"%ecdsa.util.randrange( pow(2,128) )

The seed then goes through 100,000 rounds of SHA256 concatenated with itself to generate the private key.

Code:
oldseed = seed
for i in range(100000):
    seed = hashlib.sha256(seed + oldseed).digest()

Does anyone know how electrum does it?

Electrum generates multiple addresses from a single seed by concatenating the previous private key with a double SHA256 hash of the sequence number of the address being generated.

Code:
secexp = ( secexp + self.get_sequence(n,for_change) ) % order

Code:
def get_sequence(self,n,for_change):
    return string_to_number( Hash( "%d:%d:"%(n,for_change) + self.master_public_key ) )

Code:
def Hash(data):
    return hashlib.sha256(hashlib.sha256(data).digest()).digest()

• secexp is the secret exponent, i.e., the private key
  • n is the sequence number of the address (1, 2, 3, etc.) being generated
  • for_change is a 1 or 0 value that indicates whether or not this is a change address
  • order is the number of discrete points on the elliptic curve, and modding keeps the private key in range
  • As far as I can tell from the code, self.master_public_key will always be an empty string

Does anyone see a problem with the above scheme?

I'm not a cryptography expert so I can't say anything definitively. Given that bitaddress.org only uses one SHA256 pass to encrypt the passphrase, I'd say there's a good chance that it's a bad idea just to append a number to the seed.

You may want to do something like what Electrum does -- concatenate the private key of the previous address with a hash based on the sequence number (e.g. SHA256 the string '2' for the second address) and mod the result by the maximum value for the private key.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 05:05:50 AM

Given that bitaddress.org only uses one SHA256 pass to encrypt the passphrase, I'd say there's a good chance that it's a bad idea just to append a number to the seed.

I'm also no expert, but was going to say this.  If you go this route, at least append/prepend more to the string to make it less likely the string is already in somebody's rainbow table.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:10:48 AM

Does bitaddress.org use the same method to create a brain wallet as electrum (if you provide the same seed to both, do you get the same addresses?)

Also, I was considering modifying bitaddress's brain wallet generation function to create an arbitrary sized wallet rather than a single address.

So brainWallet(seed) -> address right now

I was considering doing something like:
brainWallet(seed + '2') -> address2
brainWallet(seed + '3') -> address3
brainWallet(seed + '4') -> address4
brainWallet(seed + 'n') -> addressn

To generate any number of addresses based on a seed. You would be able to set the starting index as well as the number of addresses you would like. The starting index is so that you can use the batches of addresses on different services that you run, but still have a single brain wallet.

Does anyone see a problem with the above scheme? Does anyone know how electrum does it?

bitaddress uses SHA256(passphrase). Which is supported by mtgox and block chain.info

Sounds like Electrums method is safer because it starts with a random seed.
However, knowledge of the algorithm is only available in the Electrum source.

The info posted about Electrums algorithm is interesting.

I think brainWallet(passphrase + n) is as safe as putting all your money in a single brain wallet but it offers more privacy by having more addresses for use. I plan to add this to the paper wallet after I finish the art wallet addition to the paper wallet tab.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: