Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pool mining question  (Read 1199 times)
thebenjamincode (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 04:05:12 PM

hi there, i was curious about mining pools
i want to know how to make one

so my question is can it be hosted using a webhost like godaddy.com or hostgator?
if not then what hosting site can provide it?
and also what plan should i buy?

thank you!
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vennali
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1081

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 04:30:53 PM

so my question is can it be hosted using a webhost like godaddy.com or hostgator?

thank you!

I feel there are already too many pools around. I think yes you can set it up on any webhost. Might not be profitable to start one now.

GreydonIselmoe

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Credits [CRE] - Community Manager

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 04:34:17 PM

thank you!

Google: "How to set up my own mining pool"

first result: http://coingolem.com/how-to-set-up-your-own-mining-pool-using-mpos-229/

I know there are a couple other "template" sites that let you create a pool, kind of like a coin gen.

████████  The next evolutionary step in crypto-currency | Sidechain technology - Claimable - sha256   ███████
████████████████  C R E D I T S - [C R E]  ███████████████
◥ Proof of Work / Proof of Deposit mining system ◥ Official Website ◥ Bitcointalk Thread ◥ Exchange
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 06:55:12 PM

thank you!

use search..
you will find a lot of linux tutorial to setting up a pool...
script or sha256 for sure...
for other algo,
i do not know.

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:36:41 PM

outside from the website, and all the other stuff.

just hire a coder who can do the techincal stuff, while you do the website stuff. Break down the work, but the coder needs to develop the software if you want more users, the more user friendly it is, you`ll see a bunch of migration.

Look at bitminter for example, they adopted the mac osx, making it a simple plug and play after downloaded.
GreydonIselmoe

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 07:42:47 PM

Also, a super nice exampe of a good UI (minus some window size modification issues) is ghash.io

I find it super pretty at least.

████████  The next evolutionary step in crypto-currency | Sidechain technology - Claimable - sha256   ███████
◥ Proof of Work / Proof of Deposit mining system ◥ Official Website ◥ Bitcointalk Thread ◥ Exchange
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:53:42 AM

Also, a super nice exampe of a good UI (minus some window size modification issues) is ghash.io

Well that's certainly what's important - not the payouts they seems to have done really poorly with Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 11:08:35 AM

if you want to setup your own pool, then here you go, this is the best guide right now

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613930.0
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:33:43 PM

Just wondering why you want to set up a new pool?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:29:39 PM

maybe because of fee? if his pool can become famous enough, you can earn a lot with fees, i know this is true with altcoin, it should be with bitcoin too
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:56:12 PM

maybe because of fee? if his pool can become famous enough, you can earn a lot with fees, i know this is true with altcoin, it should be with bitcoin too

There are some good pools out their already, so in order to take miners away you will have to charge less and/or offer something better. I would think the profit can't be that great at some of the pool fees that are being charged. If you could get big enough it looks like a full time job, then the larger you get the more equipment upgrades you need. Then very few pools seem to stay at the top for long, and now you have all the equipment manufactures doing their own pools. In my opinion home mining may very well be coming to a end or at least not growing like it once was. I am sure there is a lot that I have not even touched on but I just don't seeing it being a great move especially for someone that had to ask about whether  a hosting service will work to host the pool.  Embarrassed
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:22:48 PM

There are some good pools out their already, so in order to take miners away you will have to charge less and/or offer something better. I would think the profit can't be that great at some of the pool fees that are being charged. If you could get big enough it looks like a full time job, then the larger you get the more equipment upgrades you need. Then very few pools seem to stay at the top for long, and now you have all the equipment manufactures doing their own pools. In my opinion home mining may very well be coming to a end or at least not growing like it once was. I am sure there is a lot that I have not even touched on but I just don't seeing it being a great move especially for someone that had to ask about whether  a hosting service will work to host the pool.  Embarrassed

i think it's worth it(if you know what you are doing), just an example

if you can charge a tiny fee like 1% and you are making 100 btc only with your pool, you are already earning 1 btc daily(which is very good already)

bear in mind that you are only running the pool, the miners come from all users around the world

in my example you need a bit less then 10k antminer s5 to generate 100 btc daily, so let's say a range of 1k-5k total users, not so impossible, you need to achieve 1/36 of the entire network, less than 3%(under eligius and ghash.io level)

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 07:56:06 PM

There are some good pools out their already, so in order to take miners away you will have to charge less and/or offer something better. I would think the profit can't be that great at some of the pool fees that are being charged. If you could get big enough it looks like a full time job, then the larger you get the more equipment upgrades you need. Then very few pools seem to stay at the top for long, and now you have all the equipment manufactures doing their own pools. In my opinion home mining may very well be coming to a end or at least not growing like it once was. I am sure there is a lot that I have not even touched on but I just don't seeing it being a great move especially for someone that had to ask about whether  a hosting service will work to host the pool.  Embarrassed

if you can charge a tiny fee like 1% and you are making 100 btc only with your pool, you are already earning 1 btc daily(which is very good already)

bear in mind that you are only running the pool, the miners come from all users around the world

in my example you need a bit less then 10k antminer s5 to generate 100 btc daily, so let's say a range of 1k-5k total users, not so impossible, you need to achieve 1/36 of the entire network, less than 3%(under eligius and ghash.io level)
No, it's not impossible, but it is very unlikely.  As aurel57 points out, there are a ton of factors you must take into account if you decide to operate a pool.  Just throwing out a canned instance of an MPOS or NOMP or whatever doesn't cut it if you're looking to attract miners.  You need to provide something different than the other pools, which means you need to do some coding and testing.  You need dedicated hardware, DDoS protection, etc - which means you're in a datacenter.  No running your pool from home on a Pentium 3 over a crappy DSL connection.  You'll need redundancy and eventually distribution to make your pool more attractive to a global audience.

Oh, and through all of this you've got some pretty stiff competition.  There are already a number of really good pools out there.

OP really doesn't need to be thinking about operating, or making, a pool if the question being asked is whether it can be hosted by a web hosting service and what hosting plan to get.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
GreydonIselmoe

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 07:59:53 PM

Well that's certainly what's important - not the payouts they seems to have done really poorly with Smiley

Important to attract users yeah. My ideal pool : UI of Ghash.io with payouts of Antpool. xD

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:05:53 AM

No, it's not impossible, but it is very unlikely.  As aurel57 points out, there are a ton of factors you must take into account if you decide to operate a pool.  Just throwing out a canned instance of an MPOS or NOMP or whatever doesn't cut it if you're looking to attract miners.  You need to provide something different than the other pools, which means you need to do some coding and testing.  You need dedicated hardware, DDoS protection, etc - which means you're in a datacenter.  No running your pool from home on a Pentium 3 over a crappy DSL connection.  You'll need redundancy and eventually distribution to make your pool more attractive to a global audience.

Oh, and through all of this you've got some pretty stiff competition.  There are already a number of really good pools out there.

OP really doesn't need to be thinking about operating, or making, a pool if the question being asked is whether it can be hosted by a web hosting service and what hosting plan to get.

all those thing, can be covered easily with one btc a day, i know you can't run a pool on a "pentium" but a good server with 32 giga and a xeon is purchased only once, not every day, with a return of 1 btc daily you can roi very fast, hell even with an amount that is half of that

the only real problem is competition, i could agree on this, there are too many good pools, but i still think you can achieve 1% of the network which is still 0.33 btc daily
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:24:57 AM

I'd love to know where you think you can get cheap reliable servers and not have to have them connected in a good data centre with good network and not bother about bandwidth ... etc ... etc ... etc ... and get 3% of the network (1 BTC a day) ... lulz how many pools have 3% or more?

GHash, Eligius, BTCGuild, Slush they are all around 3% at the moment.
So some unknown is going to be able to open up a pool and get more miners than those pools?
You're dreaming.

Next is running a pool - so you think it's sit back and watch the BTC roll in is it?
It's a 24/7 job to run a reliable pool and either you have that time available or you also have to pay someone to do that also ...
Then there's software ... and how much resources it needs to even run 1% of the network ... let alone 3% ... or more ...

You really don't know what you are talking about - stop guessing - and pretending you are correct.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2015, 02:03:02 PM by Amph

I'd love to know where you think you can get cheap reliable servers and not have to have them connected in a good data centre with good network and not bother about bandwidth ... etc ... etc ... etc ... and get 3% of the network (1 BTC a day) ... lulz how many pools have 3% or more?

So some unknown is going to be able to open up a pool and get more miners than those pools?
You're dreaming.

Next is running a pool - so you think it's sit back and watch the BTC roll in is it?
It's a 24/7 job to run a reliable pool and either you have that time available or you also have to pay someone to do that also ...
Then there's software ... and how much resources it needs to even run 1% of the network ... let alone 3% ... or more ...

You really don't know what you are talking about - stop guessing - and pretending you are correct.

i'm not guessing, how those other pools got there at 3% network? you are telling me that is it impossible to reach even 1% of the network? i don't think so, sry but i can argue that you are guessing as well

i'm not saying that it can be done in one day, but it just worth it to invest in it, there is a good chance in some months to control at least 1%, it is for sure less than a gamble than trying to roi with miners equipment, or hoping for btc to rise to 1k this year...
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 12:28:38 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 11:45:17 AM by aurel57

You're dreaming.

i'm not guessing, how those other pools got there at 3% network? you are telling me that is it impossible to reach even 1% of the network? i don't think so, sry but i can argue that you are guessing as well

i'm not seeing that it can be done in one day, but it just worth it to invest in it, there is a good chance in some months to control at least 1%, it is for sure less than a gamble than trying to roi with miners equipment, or hoping for btc to rise to 1k this year...

Amph unless you have owned and ran a pool I think I will take advice and side with someone who has.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:07:10 AM

... and directly related to that topic ...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1020446.msg11049324#msg11049324

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: