Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:10:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason for current Bitcoin crash  (Read 9513 times)
msweb (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 03:43:17 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 03:57:20 PM by msweb

What's the reason for the current BTC crash? Two days ago a coin was a little bit more than $14 what was the highest value since the last big crash in June 2011. Within the last 2 days the value crashed down to $10 and may will fall much further on. I'm just wondering what the reason for the crash this time is. Is it once again because of a lot of cracked websites and stolen coins? Does anybody know why this happens right now?

Next development steps to go (I'm working on the designs):
1. A decentralized cryptoexchange protocol
2. A cryptocoin with a fix USD/Coin rate
gnpeer

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 04:04:11 PM

Lot of things happened. The biggest factor was the end of pirate's project and mass panic.

Mine with your Bitcoins: www.facebook.com/pyramining (always active links)
Exchange all your altcoins on Vircurex (smaller fee from that link)
msweb (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 04:06:26 PM

Thanks for your fast reply. What do you mean by "pirate's project"? And what else happened?

Cosmos

Activity: 113

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 04:11:09 PM

Thanks for your fast reply. What do you mean by "pirate's project"? And what else happened?

This was kind of a strange reason for myself, after a few hours of checking who he was, I found he was a big player that was running a BTC company called Bitcoin Savings and Trust that was offering a staggering 7% return on investments.  Only high deposits were accepted so many other stocks were created called PPT (Pirate pass through) that enabled some sums to be contributed to pirates offering.  Well, a few days ago he closed up shop, and nobody is sure if he'll pay out his investors or not.  He was in possession of several hundred thousand BTC at the time.

Donation BTC: 1Pno5cingvmmC8CtpHgNJcoLqfyzSz6kEy
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 04:15:29 PM

For the past 8 months, some guy called "pirateat40" was running some kinda service (or ponzi scheme as some would say) called Bitcoin Savings & Trust, which was closed last friday.

Tons of people invested money in this thing (I believe pirate was estimated to hold 400k ~ 500k of other people's bitcoins) and now they're hoping to see anything back.

I think the price drop was merely caused by mass panic. Nothing was hacked, nothing was stolen YET (although nobody's sure whether pirate will pay back all his lenders, or disappear with ± $5 million worth of BTC) and certainly nothing happened to the actual Bitcoin concept itself. Just like the earlier Mt.Gox and Bitcoinica incidents, this was just an issue with some independent 3rd party business that happened to offer Bitcoin-related services.

Moreover, all the unique properties and characteristics that made Bitcoin such a revolutionary concept (as listed here or there for example), remain all the same. Essentially, nothing has changed, and Bitcoin has the exact same bright promising future ahead of it, regardless of this temporary panic price drop.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
gnpeer

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 04:20:42 PM

This was kind of a strange reason for myself, after a few hours of checking who he was, I found he was a big player that was running a BTC company called Bitcoin Savings and Trust that was offering a staggering 7% return on investments.  Only high deposits were accepted so many other stocks were created called PPT (Pirate pass through) that enabled some sums to be contributed to pirates offering.  Well, a few days ago he closed up shop, and nobody is sure if he'll pay out his investors or not.  He was in possession of several hundred thousand BTC at the time.

Good answer. That's what I meant by saying "pirate".

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 04:23:35 PM

he was a big player that was running a BTC company called Bitcoin Savings and Trust that was offering a staggering 7% return on investments.
7% per week, mind you Smiley That's over 3300% yearly interest. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that such a scheme wouldn't hold.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
msweb (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 04:31:55 PM

Thanks for your posts. I know that Bitcoin itself isn't the problem. I had no idea about Bitcoin's existence in June 2011 so I wasn't able to make profit from the crash then. I'm waiting for the next big crash to buy a lot of coins when the rate is very low. That's why I'm interested in the reasons of this crash and how deep the prize will fall within the next days. If this guy really got $5M in BTC then I don't think he will republish his service and payback all that money. You can live a very happy life with that amount of money if you know what you are doing. So my advise for the masses: Panic more and more so the prize will fall further on and I'll be able to buy coins for nuts sooner or later Smiley.

gnpeer

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 05:29:52 PM

Who knows how deep it goes?
I guess, we will find out after this monday when bank transactions kicks in.

BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:36:23 PM

I know the article about Silk Road sent BTC to nearly $20 but what was the cause of it's crash down to $2 in Nov-Dec of 2011. Any info or a link to a thread about it would be much obliged.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
Fluttershy

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:42:18 PM

You say crash, I say a natural point of the buy/sell cycle.

deus-ex-machina

Activity: 166

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:48:28 PM

Take advantage of the drop and buy Bitcoins. Then wait until the price goes up again and you can point and laugh at the people who didn't.
msweb (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:57:47 PM

You are right deus-ex-machina. The question is just when. The value is going down very quickly. It's currently about $8.5 ( http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/ ) and who knows how far it will fall down within the next days. My advise is not buy coins right now. Sell if you have a lot of as long as the rate is 'high' if you don't think in the long term. I think it will fall down to something between $2 and $5 within next week and stabilize around that rate. Then it's time to buy... Just my thoughts.

wirmola

Activity: 111

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:04:54 PM

he was a big player that was running a BTC company called Bitcoin Savings and Trust that was offering a staggering 7% return on investments.
7% per week, mind you Smiley That's over 3300% yearly interest. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that such a scheme wouldn't hold.

But the funny thing is that he has been paying this 7% since november last year, and the word is he is paying all the money from the accounts too.
WorldOfBitcoin

Activity: 102

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:05:43 PM

No no no, If people stop buying then the price will continue to fall.

People need to buy, and rally to it. If Pirate tries to start a panic the only way to stop it is to buy.

Most people were buying into Pirate at under 10 per BTC, 5point drop doesn't do much for him. The entire scheme requires him drop the price much more. If he cant trick the market he cant make money.

tell holders to not buy/sell now is irresponsible

Besides, long term everyone on here knows long term bitcoin is promising.
dexvx

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:07:59 PM

But the funny thing is that he has been paying this 7% since november last year, and the word is he is paying all the money from the accounts too.

Has anyone successfully cashed out from him?
WorldOfBitcoin

Activity: 102

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:12:30 PM

Has anyone successfully cashed out from him?

yes, He has been carefully watched. He has held his promise on all his payouts. Most people return to his 5000BTC+ higher rates only after getting early buyouts.

But thats the same for any ponzi, its all about giving investors a taste, then cutting and running.
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:16:28 PM

I've been watching this pirate thing for a while and I didn't really understand how people could be so incredibly stupid. They use bitcoins to escape government bullshit and whatnot, yet they happily run right into scammer's hands. It was a clear and blatant ponzi scheme and the current situation is really disappointing. Even more, when I realize that although I didn't fall for pirate's bullshit, the value of my assets in bitcoins falls rapidly anyway due to the situation on the market.

Now I only hope the panick doesn't last too long and the community wakes up from its 'momentary lapse of reason'. There is no reason why people should sell all their bitcoins for such low prices. If everyone realizes that, everything will be alright again.

In conclusion, people's stupidity deeply saddens me. I beg everyone :  don't let emotions win over logical thinking, don't disappoint the community again by selling for low prices. Otherwise you will harm both yourself and the community.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
msweb (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:17:35 PM

It's easier to get the people trust if you provide the service as legit from the start. As soon as enough money is sitting in all the accounts the owner will think about 'stealing' all that money. It doesn't matter what the service was about and how he did it. All that counts is the amount of coins got 'stolen' (or better said 'taken' by the project owner). A lot of the people think that it's a problem within Bitcoin itself instead of knowing that it's just that one 3rd party and so the crash of the rate is a logical event. The most of the people still just don't get what it is all about and never will. So those who understand it can profit from the market.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 06:22:05 PM

Yeah, a crash of this magnitude set off because people fell into a ponzi scheme is not good press for bitcoin.  Sad

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: