Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:38:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is collective naivete accidentally protecting Bitcoin from unwanted attention?  (Read 3598 times)
blablahblah (OP)

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:00:35 PM

Whenever I try to promote Bitcoin to someone, there always seems to be the problem of, how should I put it, "stupid people that make it look bad". On this forum there always seems to be a very broad range of opinions on everything -- the drug culture, economic theories, political beliefs...

One of the main things I've had to contend with has not been any of the "official" FAQ info, but other people's opinions on forums and in real life. It's like opposing whaling or drug prohibition, and then feeling embarrassed because the local Green/Pirate party MP sounds like a complete idiot.

But then something clicked and I thought: hang on, maybe all that "noise" is actually hiding Bitcoin's strength from people who might be able to do some real damage, and hence why they haven't bothered so far?

Your thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:06:56 PM

"The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room"

Reading the forums, especially this one, and basing your bitcoin opinions on the personalities that constantly need their opinions heard and validated is only scratching the surface of who represents the bitcoin userbase.

Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:27:21 PM

Then they need lessons in market research, I guess.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 05:34:13 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 06:04:53 PM by DeathAndTaxes

This forum isn't Bitcoin, just like the Satoshi client isn't Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is larger than that. The current user base of Bitcoin is relatively small, in time it will grow and fragment.   Much like for a very long time almost all users used the Satoshi client and now an increasing percentage use alternatives,  as Bitcoin grows it will diversify.  The is not "internet forum" yet millions of people user the internet. 

I like to remind people Bitcoin is in beta.  The people who can't look beyond the viewpoint of individuals (who aren't Bitcoin) to see the potential of Bitcoin likely shouldn't be using Bitcoin ...  at this point in time.  Nothing lost.   In 10-20 years, you will have people using the Bitcoin platform (either directly or indirectly) who have never mined anything, have no understanding of cryptography, never used the Satoshi client, and don't even know bitcointalk.org exists.  
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 05:47:17 PM

This form isn't Bitcoin just like the Satoshi client isn't Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is larger than that.  Now the current user base of Bitcoin is relatively small in time it will grow and fragment.   Much like for a very long time almost all users used the Satoshi client and now many don't.  As Bitcoin grows it will diversify.  I like to remind people Bitcoin is in beta.  The people who can't look beyond the viewpoint of individuals (who aren't Bitcoin) to see the potential of Bitcoin likely shouldn't be using Bitcoin .... AS THIS POINT.  Nothing lost. 

In 10-20 years you will have people using the Bitcoin platform either directly or indirectly who have never mined anything, have no understanding of cryptography, never used the Satoshi client, and don't even know bitcointalk exists. 

Just like the majority of people who use eBay don't frequent its most popular forum. When I used to sell books on Alibris, the only forum thread I ever visited was Amazon's book thread on their forum. While playing poker for a living, I frequented a many poker forums. All in all, people in general don't have the time to read what's in forum, choosing to adapt whatever simply by what's been suggested by their peers. They may stumble upon this forum via a Google search, read what pertains to them, then leave, returning to whatever distracted them in the first place.

~Bruno~
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 07:17:45 PM

You know, kid, you're not as stupid as you look.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: