Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:40:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Investment fund email?  (Read 4903 times)
allyouracid
Legendary

Activity: 2320
Merit: 1292

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:47:30 PM

got it too.
Never registered at coinbase.
The only btc related stuff I registered to with that email address is Bitcointalk, Localbitcoins and Kraken (and havent used these in more than a year).  
So it is probably one of these that had their memberslist leaked/hacked.
(Or.. one of these fuckers sold their data)
I am registered here (as you can see), but they don't have my first- and/or lastname, I think. I might have an account at localbitcoins, maybe with my name. I am not registered at Kraken.

Was there anything else? BTCJam maybe? Or any other exchange, Mt.Gox maybe? Their database is publicly available.

Don't visit my shitcoin blog: OCOIN.DEV
Use cointracking.info for tax declaration & tracking of your trades!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
to3m

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:48:09 PM

I got one of these today. It was sent to my BTC-E email address. (I have my own domain, so I sign up with every service under a different email address.)

I wonder how they got hold of that?

--Tom
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:49:07 PM

got it too.
The only btc related stuff I registered to with that email address is Bitcointalk, Localbitcoins and Kraken (and havent used these in more than a year).  
I am registered here (as you can see), but they don't have my first- and/or lastname, I think. I might have an account at localbitcoins, maybe with my name. I am not registered at Kraken.

Was there anything else? BTCJam maybe? Or any other exchange, Mt.Gox maybe? Their database is publicly available.

Goxed again.  Angry
allyouracid
Legendary

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:51:14 PM

I got one of these today. It was sent to my BTC-E email address. (I have my own domain, so I sign up with every service under a different email address.)

--Tom
Very clever!
This would make the origin of the problem pretty much clear. On the other hand, while BTCe is a bit shady, I cannot explain how the connection to the mails being sent through coinbase servers can be drawn…

bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:56:26 PM

--Tom

I havent used this mail for any of those, including BTCJam.
I used it for Gox though.
It must be multiple sources.
to3m

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:59:34 PM

--Tom
Very clever!
This would make the origin of the problem pretty much clear. On the other hand, while BTCe is a bit shady, I cannot explain how the connection to the mails being sent through coinbase servers can be drawn…

Yes, you're right - there are one or two very obvious explanations for this Smiley But I have no opinion about what has actually happened here.

I've sent a support request to BTC-E, which seems like an obvious first thing to do. If I hear anything back, I'll post here.

--Tom
timeofmind

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:06:38 PM

"Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of bounces+1604765-1070-timeofmind=gmail.com@em.coinbase.com designates 50.31.37.137 as permitted sender)"

Either coinbase mail server was used, or the their DNS server was accessed and SPF record altered.

BitMessage: BM-GtUdgmqs5voD3M6o3X38gM93RyxPhDK9
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 08:18:19 PM

I too received the email (went into Gmail spam, with a note about being flagged as spam by other users but nothing about phishing). Just like others have reported, as far as the headers are concerned, it looks like it was sent by the legitimate Coinbase servers.
 - The email address where I received the message was "leaked" by a stupid Bitcoin-related service some months ago when they sent an email to all of their users and put everyone's email in the "to" field (endless spam since then);
 - I don't have a BTC-e account with this email address;
 - I have a Coinbase account, with this email address, which I created for the sole purpose of receiving the free BTC they were giving away at launch, and is abandoned since then;
 - I had a (never used) MtGox account on this email address.

Since there are people reporting to have received the phishing mail on a address used solely for BTC-E, but I don't have a BTC-E account on the address where I received it, probably whoever sent the emails is using a list built from various sources.

GH

Activity: 117

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:25:31 PM

I received two mails. The sources of the recipient addresses are 100% clear in my case, as I also use one-time accounts.
First one was to my btcjam account, second one to bitcoin-24(!).
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:28:08 PM

Yup, used it for btc24, too.
This dirtbag will do anything to pump the community...
Azzot88

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:29:04 PM

Hi! Im received same email. I have  account at BTC-E and i received this wallet to send 1GX1tPvy4Y3PUeHzzpvtkWeyzhskVKTpf6

What wallet you are received? Maybe we will find correlation between exchanges and wallets from scam emails?
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:30:13 PM

Everybody gets different wallets, at least in my 2 cases.
allyouracid
Legendary

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:33:53 PM

--Tom
Very clever!

Yes, you're right - there are one or two very obvious explanations for this Smiley But I have no opinion about what has actually happened here.

I've sent a support request to BTC-E, which seems like an obvious first thing to do. If I hear anything back, I'll post here.

--Tom
That would be very much appreciated. Would be nice if we get this solved… I don't like the idea of my data moving around uncontrollably (yes… the internet, but I guess you know what I mean). Smiley

tunnez777

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:30:39 PM

I received the same email, this is scammers, if Coinbase have any business opportunity related to btc they whould have post it on their official website.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 09:35:49 PM

Spamcop.net reported my copy to abuse@cox.net based on the sender's IP.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
nearmint

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:47:51 PM

I also find it very interesting that the attacker is able to aggregate the e-mail addresses from different [database] sources. Doesn't this mean he has direct access to multiple bitcoin-related databases or at least some indirect way to extract e-mail addresses from the databases?

bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:54:28 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2015, 09:38:29 AM by bernard75

Well the Gox database is practically open source, but some people insist they used their mail exclusively for BTCe, BTC24 or LBC, so its probably several databases that have been compromised.
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 11:17:08 PM

I wonder if someone invested to it Sad
plasma1010

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 11:36:27 PM

Why isn't Coinbase issuing an email to all it's clients to watch out for the scam ? That's my problem with the whole thing, they should be informing everyone who is signed up at Coinbase right now not to invest in this scam.

The kicker for me was that the email didn't route to Coinbase actual website, just some random deposit link. I mean, I guess if you're brand new to Bitcoin you might fall for it.

Send me BTC if you enjoyed this post | 1LtTpCqbaXj548Pxvdy2VrE8JNa3zkcL3A
ajw7989 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:48:59 AM

Why isn't Coinbase issuing an email to all it's clients to watch out for the scam ? That's my problem with the whole thing, they should be informing everyone who is signed up at Coinbase right now not to invest in this scam.

The kicker for me was that the email didn't route to Coinbase actual website, just some random deposit link. I mean, I guess if you're brand new to Bitcoin you might fall for it.

I agree with this. Safety for its customers should be the number 1 priority. At least make a notification on the site itself
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: