Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:24:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs BitForce ‘SC’ Pre Order - a scam?  (Read 5949 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 07:19:38 PM

Today I tried to pre order a BitForce Single ‘SC’. Because the payment processing via PayPal didn't go through I repeated it 3 times. The 4th time it worked OK.

Surprisingly I now have 4 pre order confirmation eMails from BFL in my mailbox.

It seems the (external) payment processing (PayPal, etc.) is in no way connected to BFLs order page.

How will BFL ever be able to match orders with payments?!?!

Do they even intend to do that? Or is their plan simply to get as much money as possible - and run...

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 07:24:03 PM

When I ordered, I was having problems with StrongCoin (I've since ditched them), and I couldn't send payments. I had to try 6 times before I finally got my order thru on the 7th try. So technically, I have 7 orders (and order numbers) for a SC Single upgrade. However, only one of those orders has actually been paid (the 7th one), so that's the only order number that counts.

BFL has somewhere around 4,000 order numbers by now, but I suspect a lot of those are unpaid (and thus invalid).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:57:13 AM

Surprisingly I now have 4 pre order confirmation eMails from BFL in my mailbox.

No. They are not a scam.

Their web ordering system isn't the most robust in the world, and it's possible to create multiple orders and get multiple emails "confirming" your order without having paid for them. Does not mean that your orders are legitimate as you have not paid for them.

It's a bug. Nothing to see here.
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 11:32:13 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2012, 12:30:19 PM by Frizz23

My main concern is that their order system seems to be in no way connected to their payment processing system.

I already paid (via PayPal) - but how will BFL match my payment data with my order data? Just based on my first/last name? I am pretty sure there are is more than one, lets say, John Smith that ordered from them.

Another concern: In case I have placed multiple orders - how will BFL determine which products I have ordered / which products I have already paid for? Just based on the total? E.g. I made one payment with 1932$ and one with 2208$? Do they use some kind of AI to exactly figure out that 1932$ is 3 x Jalapeno and 1 x BF Single + priority shipping?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 12:09:40 PM

My main concern is that their order system seems to be in no way connected to their payment processing system.

Doesn't need to be if the payments are manually verified. That's how things worked BEFORE internet Smiley

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 12:16:32 PM

Uncoupled ordering and payments systems are definitely a sign of a scam. Taking payment for pre-orders is also a sign of a scam. However, a company history of delivering actual innovative products is a big sign of a non-scam.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
PulsedMedia

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 12:34:03 PM

Uncoupled ordering and payments systems are definitely a sign of a scam. Taking payment for pre-orders is also a sign of a scam. However, a company history of delivering actual innovative products is a big sign of a non-scam.

PreOrders are not a definitive sign of scam. We begun with just preorders, waiting time was close to 2 months for DC to setup servers.
Pre-orders in certain industries is quite normal infact.

Uncoupled ordering and payments is not a definitive sign of a scam, A LOT of companies still operate that way. Even some major companies.
I can name a few DCs off the bat which operate this way, one rather large even which doesn't even have online billing system customers could access!

While neither is a good thing, it's not definitive proof of scam.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

I agree. They're just signs of a scam -- things that make it a bit more likely that an offer is a scam. And, on the other hand, this is a company with an actual history of successfully producing and delivering innovative products.

PulsedMedia

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 09:02:44 PM

I agree. They're just signs of a scam -- things that make it a bit more likely that an offer is a scam. And, on the other hand, this is a company with an actual history of successfully producing and delivering innovative products.

Someone truly looking to make a scam will make every single effort not to look like scam.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 11:12:43 PM

Someone truly looking to make a scam will make every single effort not to look like scam.
Yeah, true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

BlackPrapor

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Yeah, true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0
lol

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: