Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:55:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Success rate for Game Changing Technology/Food for thought  (Read 588 times)
futureofbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:07:19 AM

We always compare bitcoin with the early personal computer, or the early internet, or the early automobile or electricity. We say how there were many people who were against these inventions, but they ended up changing the world. These were the success stories.

How many such potentially world-changing technology did not make it past that stage? Is the success rate really 100% or close to it? On one hand, that seems to be possible, given the world-changing nature of it. But if a potentially world-changing technology didn't get past a certain stage, most of us would have never heard of it anyway, so we don't know that it failed.

It's kind of like how we only hear of the successful entrepreneurs like Zuckerberg or Bill Gates, but in reality many more fail.

This question brings two discussions.

1. If the success rate of world-changing technology is actually not that high, can we really be confident that bitcoin will pull through? Of course we're under the assumption here that bitcoin really is a world-changing technology.

2. Are we, as humans, potentially hundreds of years behind where we could've been, had all the potentially world-changing technology became mainstream? Maybe we'd be all living lives we can only dream of now. Think of how many great opportunities you missed in your life, and how that would've changed your life. Perhaps those missed opportunities are completely insignificant compared to the missed opportunities of man-kind. And it's not like how we don't yet have the technology to create a perfect AI, or cure aging. Rather these are opportunities that could've happened. Someone really developed it, but we, as humans, simply failed to see the benefits and threw it away.
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:29:16 AM

Many game changing technologies get suppressed by elites who stand the most to lose from their implementations.

Free energy on a global scale is already possible yet we are still reliant on oil.

Many cures to cancer have been found, yet we still rely on chemo therapy; that in itself is worse than cancer. Whoever conjured up that idea and convinced others to believe in it is beyond me.

HIV, AIDS, all diseases known to man are curable, yet we are still made to believe in big PHARMA.

Oh, and those famous pyramids in Egypt... You can damn well bet that technology has been suppressed also.

Now tell me.. What be the success rate of bitcoin?

Humanity has a long long history of oppression and suppression, just because a technology is revolutionary is by no means an indicator of its success.

NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 08:10:07 AM

We always compare bitcoin with the early personal computer, or the early internet, or the early automobile or electricity. We say how there were many people who were against these inventions, but they ended up changing the world. These were the success stories.

How many such potentially world-changing technology did not make it past that stage? Is the success rate really 100% or close to it? On one hand, that seems to be possible, given the world-changing nature of it. But if a potentially world-changing technology didn't get past a certain stage, most of us would have never heard of it anyway, so we don't know that it failed.

It's kind of like how we only hear of the successful entrepreneurs like Zuckerberg or Bill Gates, but in reality many more fail.

1. If the success rate of world-changing technology is actually not that high, can we really be confident that bitcoin will pull through? Of course we're under the assumption here that bitcoin really is a world-changing technology.

2. Are we, as humans, potentially hundreds of years behind where we could've been, had all the potentially world-changing technology became mainstream? Maybe we'd be all living lives we can only dream of now. Think of how many great opportunities you missed in your life, and how that would've changed your life. Perhaps those missed opportunities are completely insignificant compared to the missed opportunities of man-kind. And it's not like how we don't yet have the technology to create a perfect AI, or cure aging. Rather these are opportunities that could've happened. Someone really developed it, but we, as humans, simply failed to see the benefits and threw it away.

I can only give laserdisks, minidisks, betamax and DVD-Rs as examples of new technologies that didn'tv take off as expected, but they were all immediately superceded by techmnology that did the same thing.

Conchorde is an example of a backwards step in technology, as we used to fly supersonic, and now we don't (which sucks), but otherwise I can't personally think of any examples of a great new tech that didn't take off, or get superceded by something similar very quickly.. google glass mayby, but that's stupid!
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 10:00:08 AM

I can only give laserdisks, minidisks, betamax and DVD-Rs as examples of new technologies that didn'tv take off as expected, but they were all immediately superceded by techmnology that did the same thing.

Conchorde is an example of a backwards step in technology, as we used to fly supersonic, and now we don't (which sucks), but otherwise I can't personally think of any examples of a great new tech that didn't take off, or get superceded by something similar very quickly.. google glass mayby, but that's stupid!
You just need to believe it!
If you don't believe it, nothing will happent. If we don't believe that BTCitcoin will change the world, It maybe just gone because no one will use it and the price will not raise.
If you do believe it, it will happen. BTCitcoin will be the highest price of currency, and the most successful cryptocurrency that ever existed.

faucet used to be profitable
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 11:50:14 AM

In order to sell anything on the grand scale, you need to have mass media pumping it 24/7. It's all marketing. If you can sell pet rocks, Billy The Singing Bass, you can sell anything. Bitcoin has a problem catching on because when you watch even the most clean-cut articulate man in a suit pimp it on camera, he sounds like a snake oil salesman. But then again, if Bitcoin got media coverage 24-7, it would probably catch on. People are really gullible.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:10:18 PM

Bitcoin has already had quite a success over the last 5 years. It has unique capabilities and characteristics. I don't think that it, or cryptocurrencies in general, will disappear completely. They will always find some niche. Some use-case we haven't even thought about yet!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 12:25:10 PM

Many game changing technologies get suppressed by elites who stand the most to lose from their implementations.

Free energy on a global scale is already possible yet we are still reliant on oil.

Many cures to cancer have been found, yet we still rely on chemo therapy; that in itself is worse than cancer. Whoever conjured up that idea and convinced others to believe in it is beyond me.

HIV, AIDS, all diseases known to man are curable, yet we are still made to believe in big PHARMA.

Oh, and those famous pyramids in Egypt... You can damn well bet that technology has been suppressed also.

Humanity has a long long history of oppression and suppression, just because a technology is revolutionary is by no means an indicator of its success.

I agree, it's not because bitcoin did not get the attention, it's just getting all the wrong attention that reflects on it negatively and I believe all that comes from those who are bent on seeing bitcoin fail. It's a game changing technology alright, there is no doubt about it. But bitcoin's success will spell disruption or an end to the current system that has so far fed the elites so well that they will stand to lose everything if bitcoin took over one day.

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:29:57 PM

I agree, it's not because bitcoin did not get the attention, it's just getting all the wrong attention that reflects on it negatively and I believe all that comes from those who are bent on seeing bitcoin fail. It's a game changing technology alright, there is no doubt about it. But bitcoin's success will spell disruption or an end to the current system that has so far fed the elites so well that they will stand to lose everything if bitcoin took over one day.

"Mere exposure effect" is our friend here. If people hear about Bitcoin for the 10th time, well... I think they'll reconsider. People often need to be confronted with something repeatedly, before they finally decide to figure out what that thing actually is. Forgot the name of that phenomenon... can anyone help?

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: