Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:21:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-04-09] Bloomberg: Orange Seeks to Invest in Bitcoin Startups ...  (Read 918 times)
chmod755 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 10:58:39 AM

Orange Seeks to Invest in Bitcoin Startups in Silicon Valley

Orange SA is looking to invest in bitcoin startups in the coming months, making it one of the first big international phone carriers to become interested in the technology behind the digital currency.

“There’s something intriguing in this technology, so we want to be there as early as possible,” said Georges Nahon, chief executive officer of Orange Silicon Valley, a division of the Paris-based company. “This could be a digital platform of the future,”

While bitcoin’s price has almost dropped in half in the past year and the prospects of the digital currency are uncertain, its underlying software is attracting investors. The technology can be tweaked to record changes in ownership of any asset in a public ledger using a distributed network of computers, and could help facilitate transactions at businesses like carriers, banks, stock exchanges or insurance providers.

The bitcoin blockchain technology, as it is called, could be used to cheaply transfer money between different countries, Nahon said. Like other carriers, Orange is building up its mobile-payment business as more people use their smartphones to make purchases or transfers. Orange already has more than 12 million users for its money transfer service Orange Money in Africa and the Middle East, and is looking to expand the business.

Talking to Startups

Orange Silicon Valley has been holding bitcoin events at its offices in San Francisco and is talking to two bitcoin companies, Nahon said. The group can invest $20,000 per startup and is part of global team that can spend up to 3 million euros ($3.2 million) per company.

The carrier recently expanded its venture-capital effort with the creation of Orange Digital Ventures. The goal is to have supported 500 startups worldwide by 2020, Orange said in March.

“Even though we have a large internal R&D organization, given the pace of innovation we need to compliment our own initiatives and projects with what the outside world is doing,” Nahon said.

Bitcoin venture-capital investments hit an all-time quarterly high of $233.95 million in the first quarter, according to researcher CB Insights.

Google Ventures and venture arms of several other large tech companies have made investments in bitcoin-related startups. Even the biggest U.S. stock exchange operators are taking steps to embrace bitcoin. This year Nasdaq OMX Group Inc. licensed its technology to a bitcoin trading company, while the New York Stock Exchange invested in bitcoin startup Coinbase.

While telecommunications companies have mostly stayed on the sidelines, several have begun to dabble in bitcoin. Perseus Telecom, which provides high-speed global connectivity services for traders, announced it would begin supporting bitcoin trading. Dish Network Corp. began accepting bitcoin payments last year.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/orange-seeks-to-invest-in-bitcoin-startups-in-silicon-valley

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 02:50:10 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/telecom-giant-orange-to-back-bitcoin-in-silicon-valley/

cool news  Cool

michaeladair

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:54:27 PM

How does one contact this company?

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 01:31:20 AM

Nice to see Orange planning to invest in Bitcoin companies.
But does Orange accept bitcoins as payment? Do any of the telecom companies accept bitcoins as payment?
Logically, that would be the first step if they see some potential in Bitcoin.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 05:01:14 AM

Telecom in poland

http://themerkle.com/news/t-mobile-poland-now-accepting-bitcoin/

chmod755 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 05:22:00 AM

T-Mobile (Poland): Bitcoin accepted
Telstra: planning to accept Bitcoin
Orange: this article only mentions investments, no plans to accept it

Yeah?

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:41:49 AM

I didn't even know Orange was still going. They were my first mobile phone provider. Seems they recently ceased operations in the UK at least http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_%28UK%29 Glad to see more big business puting money into bitcoin, though. I just wonder when all this money going in will have effect on bitcoin's value.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 03:30:32 PM

That is nice, but still nothing on a global scale.  Sad

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:29:24 PM

I had an interesting meeting in the mid-east with some execs from Orange. They were London based but Orange operates in Jordan also. They had heard of BTC but did not know what all the fuss was about. As they listened they became excited about using bitcoin and both said they were going to give it a try when they got home. I wonder how little interaction like these impact big decisions?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 04:44:11 PM

I had an interesting meeting in the mid-east with some execs from Orange. They were London based but Orange operates in Jordan also. They had heard of BTC but did not know what all the fuss was about. As they listened they became excited about using bitcoin and both said they were going to give it a try when they got home. I wonder how little interaction like these impact big decisions?

i would say: yes,  little interactions can do this.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: