Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:31:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mandatory Bitcoin purchasing, to be performed by each state  (Read 1537 times)
ensurance982 (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:56:20 PM

I propose a purchasing agreement, which mandates every state in the World to buy a certain amount of Bitcoin every year. The amount will be coupled to the country's respective GDP and could be something along the lines of 0.001%-0.01% of it. The states have to hold on to their purchased coins for a given amount of time until they can invest them again.

Which other rules and what conditions and timeframes for selling off the coins do you suggest should be implemented?

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:02:32 PM

they must purchase at least one bitcoin each, and they should not sell until the price is doubled, and in any case without dumping so much that it will return at previous value(i would say the dump must be of 25% of the price)

this will rise bitcoin to 50% after every dump, dump should occur every 3-6 months
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:04:26 PM

they must purchase at least one bitcoin each, and they should not sell until the price is doubled, and in any case without dumping so much that it will return at previous value(i would say the dump must be of 25% of the price)

this will rise bitcoin to 50% after every dump, dump should occur every 3-6 months

1 BTC isn't enough in my opinion. I think tying it to the countries' GDP is better. Or let's say 50k BTC have to be bought every year and the countries each have to buy an amount according to their relative GDP of that year.

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

How the heck can you "mandate" states to purchase Bitcoin?
This idea seems completely unrealistic. Who would enforce such an agreement? The people?
If it's to promote Bitcoin and make its price rise or something, there are other ideas that are a lot better than this.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:13:52 PM

1 BTC isn't enough in my opinion. I think tying it to the countries' GDP is better. Or let's say 50k BTC have to be bought every year and the countries each have to buy an amount according to their relative GDP of that year.

yeah you are right, but was just an example, it could be 10 or 100, there are about 200 country in the world, so 500 each would be sufficient i guess

resulting in 100k a year, i find it good enough if we compare it to the supply table
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:20:58 PM

This idea seems completely unrealistic. Who would enforce such an agreement? The people?
If it's to promote Bitcoin and make its price rise or something, there are other ideas that are a lot better than this.

Well, it's just a suggestion - a rather wild and crazy one, that's a given. But I'm merely speculating here what could be done concerning the global economy and what kind of results or consequences could come from those ideas Smiley

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 01:29:11 PM

Well, it's just a suggestion - a rather wild and crazy one, that's a given. But I'm merely speculating here what could be done concerning the global economy and what kind of results or consequences could come from those ideas Smiley
Wrong. You can't mandate anything. Unless you're forcing them, but then we'd probably be at war.
Even though it would be nice to see countries buying some, once can't mandate them. You could suggest it to your politicians (if you have contact with any).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:43:00 PM

Wrong. You can't mandate anything. Unless you're forcing them, but then we'd probably be at war.
Even though it would be nice to see countries buying some, once can't mandate them. You could suggest it to your politicians (if you have contact with any).

At war? How? The Bitcoin community of a couple thousand people, at war with all the states of the world?
Suggest to politicians? Why would they add part of the state's budget to a volatile, unstable currency that does not offer any investment incentive to the state?

What kind of results or consequences would come from politicians proposing this? Well, no one will be exactly sure, but you can be certain that they won't be voted for again.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:49:10 PM

At war? How? The Bitcoin community of a couple thousand people, at war with all the states of the world?
Suggest to politicians? Why would they add part of the state's budget to a volatile, unstable currency that does not offer any investment incentive to the state?

What kind of results or consequences would come from politicians proposing this? Well, no one will be exactly sure, but you can be certain that they won't be voted for again.

yeah better to keep spamming their toilet paper, that is rising the inflation like no tomorrow, they can't be interested in bitcoin, because

1 it isnt' big enough, and we know they buy things only if they are already big

2 bitcoin is decentralized, and they love to have the control on everything
lucullus

Activity: 529

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:57:42 PM

Interesting idea
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:42:53 PM

Well, of course this would have to be done by the UN assembly or something. And of course this is unrealistic as of now, but hey... isn't it interesting to speculate about those things?

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:45:53 PM

I propose a purchasing agreement, which mandates every state in the World to buy a certain amount of Bitcoin every year. The amount will be coupled to the country's respective GDP and could be something along the lines of 0.001%-0.01% of it. The states have to hold on to their purchased coins for a given amount of time until they can invest them again.

Which other rules and what conditions and timeframes for selling off the coins do you suggest should be implemented?

Do you remember that it is a decentralised technology, why put this strictly rules? Everyone can buy and sell how much bitcoin he wants, and this is how bitcoin is better than other currency. Sorry but I don't support your idea.
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:54:14 PM

Well, of course this would have to be done by the UN assembly or something. And of course this is unrealistic as of now, but hey... isn't it interesting to speculate about those things?

Done by the UN assembly? Are you seriously telling me that some idiot would propose that to the UN, somehow get accepted and approved, and that it would be enforced and that the countries will follow it?
Wow, it's not unrealistic, it's utterly impossible. It's as if I were speculating about unicorns farting rainbows and causing everyone to become homosexual.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 05:03:52 PM

I'm not saying that we're going to start a war. What's up with you?
I'm saying that the only way to make something like this mandatory is to force it upon a state. You have to conquer it to force it. You can't just bully them into buying Bitcoin.

That doesn't even make sense. Why are you adding part of your budget to a volatile, unstable currency? You have your answer.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:10:31 PM

I'm not saying that we're going to start a war. What's up with you?
I'm saying that the only way to make something like this mandatory is to force it upon a state. You have to conquer it to force it. You can't just bully them into buying Bitcoin.

That doesn't even make sense. Why are you adding part of your budget to a volatile, unstable currency? You have your answer.

Maybe you got me mixed up with OP? I just improvised your idea of war so that OP would stop fantasizing about things that don't make sense.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 05:14:05 PM

Maybe you got me mixed up with OP? I just improvised your idea of war so that OP would stop fantasizing about things that don't make sense.
Sorry, it looks like it. I'm a little dazed from reading hundreds of pages of laws. It's good that you've noticed.

Done by the UN assembly? Are you seriously telling me that some idiot would propose that to the UN, somehow get accepted and approved, and that it would be enforced and that the countries will follow it?
Wow, it's not unrealistic, it's utterly impossible. It's as if I were speculating about unicorns farting rainbows and causing everyone to become homosexual.
Indeed. There is no way that this would happen. You'd have more luck trying to jump onto Obama's shoulders in public.
If you find it interesting to waste time speculating on impossible things. Sure.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:43:38 PM

There is no way we can force the government to buy any amount of bitcoin. They can always create one themselves.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:10:08 PM

If we're going to ask UN, we might as well ask them to make Esperanto the official second language for every country. That would be nice, in my opinion.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 06:15:19 PM

Unless OP represents a nuclear power, OP's proposals to nation states are irrelevant.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 3160

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:16:56 PM

Rather than "forcing" anyone to do anything, we should just focus on making Bitcoin even bigger and better.  The better it works and the more people who adopt it, the more useful it becomes.  If it's a desirable commodity, there will be no need to mandate anything.  Before we know it, governments will want to store some of their wealth in it.  Assuming we don't do anything to screw it up, that is.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: