Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's get bitcoin support for OUYA!  (Read 5478 times)
Fluttershy (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:18:11 AM

http://www.ouya.tv/

OUYA is the new up-and-coming independently owned video game console that recently made almost 8.6 million from Kickstarter pre-orders. This seems like the perfect candidate for the first pro-bitcoin game console and I'm sure they'd agree to add bitcoin support if enough people asked for it. Let's get a grassroots campaign going and tweet, post facebook comments and bombard them with e-mails saying we want bitcoins on OUYA.

Think of how high it would drive the price of bitcoins!  Cheesy

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:27:05 AM

If i'm not mistaking this is an android device, so say hello to google's wallet service, you can forget about bitcoin really.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:32:14 AM

OUYA is the new up-and-coming independently owned video game console that recently made almost 8.6 million from Kickstarter pre-orders. This seems like the perfect candidate for the first pro-bitcoin game console and I'm sure they'd agree to add bitcoin support if enough people asked for it. Let's get a grassroots campaign going and tweet, post facebook comments and bombard them with e-mails saying we want bitcoins on OUYA.

DOA!
bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:01:44 AM

If i'm not mistaking this is an android device, so say hello to google's wallet service, you can forget about bitcoin really.

Are you sure google controls this project?

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 04:19:10 AM

DOA!

It's Android-based. So what? I highly doubt they will have the Google play market on them as they target for other games and already announce early access for devs. Most likely these devices will not even be allowed to be sold with the play market on board and they aim to build a completely new android based market.
Actually there are literally hundreds of Android markets all at a low low low turn over. Such a device might yield for a greater than average-looser share, so maybe 0.01%?
I think they should definitely embrace bitcoin. Google takes ages to allow global payment. There are still many countries where you simply can't buy via the play market and many more countries where you can't sell. Devs from these countries pay a high fee to get their apps published in some other countries.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 04:25:11 AM

I bought me an Ouya, and would simply LOVE to see it support Bitcoin.
Show me where I need to sign.

But in all reality, these guys are on a tight schedule to deliver, and currently have way more money than they planned on raising, I don't think it's likely they'll be persuaded to add Bitcoin integration to their list of tasks anytime soon.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:13:38 AM

If its open to devs, make a bitcoin OUYA store yourself.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Fluttershy (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:16:34 AM

Just because it's built on the Android architecture doesn't mean it's going to be controlled by google.

No, I'm saying have the OUYA team integrate bitcoin service as a default method of payment. It could only benefit both the value of bitcoin and the quality of the system.

AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:17:44 AM

I think you need to convince game developers to accept it, OUYA it open to anything and everything.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 06:49:06 AM

+1

I see no point in making an android market based on bitcoin that competes with the play market but as ouya default store is weak (aka non-existent), you could be ready at the start with a feature rich market that supports credit card, paypal and bitcoin with a nice in app payment api and subscriptions and developers might embrace it. Don't scare them off with bitcoin as the most prominent feature.

Please don't be foolish to build a bitcoin only market. Developers will not use it.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
viper1092

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:50:04 PM

I'm totally on board for this. I think it makes more sense to be integrated by OUYA in their main store system. If it's a 3rd party app there isn't any incentive for devs to put their games on the 3rd party service.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:06:02 PM

Just because it's built on the Android architecture doesn't mean it's going to be controlled by google.

There will probably be a jailbroken version on the way, with apps that the "original" version does not have. Some developers at XDA forums would be the experts on that.
ydenys

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:33:58 PM

Yes, if only it was a mining-friendly platform, that would make sense. Anyone cares to make one?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:46:43 PM

There will probably be a jailbroken version on the way, with apps that the "original" version does not have. Some developers at XDA forums would be the experts on that.
Hello, it's not a fail iphone, it's an android device. No need to "jailbreak" anything!

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:37:15 PM

Hello, it's not a fail iphone, it's an android device. No need to "jailbreak" anything!

Hello! How are you?

It does not have to be a phone...to get a new ROM.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/android/ouya-99-android-gaming-console/
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:22:49 PM

+1

I see no point in making an android market based on bitcoin that competes with the play market but as ouya default store is weak (aka non-existent), you could be ready at the start with a feature rich market that supports credit card, paypal and bitcoin with a nice in app payment api and subscriptions and developers might embrace it. Don't scare them off with bitcoin as the most prominent feature.

Please don't be foolish to build a bitcoin only market. Developers will not use it.

If you see no point, then you obviously have no idea how the PLAY market works. Google takes 30% right off the top. Whoever runs a competing market, gets that 30% of everything. (or whatever amount they want to charge)
bitcorn

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 10:28:46 PM

I bought me an Ouya…

Were you part of the Kickstarter? If so, you pledged and gave a donation.

Or you pre-ordered one. Either way, good luck with the economics of the Ouya.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 11:59:43 PM

I'm totally on board for this. I think it makes more sense to be integrated by OUYA in their main store system. If it's a 3rd party app there isn't any incentive for devs to put their games on the 3rd party service.

If the 3rd party market is vastly superior, devs would in fact support it. To achieve this, you would really have to put work into this and to start that you would have to get a better picture what the OUYA team plans to do with respect to a sales platform.

ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 12:11:24 AM

+1

If you see no point, then you obviously have no idea how the PLAY market works. Google takes 30% right off the top. Whoever runs a competing market, gets that 30% of everything. (or whatever amount they want to charge)

Thanks for telling me what I already know.
Check out this list to get an idea what it means to be google or some #2.
The play market has massive numbers compared to any ouya infant toy gadget. If your bitcoin-only-market gets 30% of the sales … well, here is my assumptions for two years of operations:
Ouya will sell 20 million devices.
200 developers will produce 250 apps (mostly adoptions of existing apps).
The official ouya market will sell these apps. It will sell a total of 50 million apps.
An unofficial market that provides many more features to the developer and the user will feature 50 developers and their apps and achieve 2 million sales.
A bitcoin only market will get 5 developers on board and sell 2000 apps.

But tell me what have you been talking about? Ah yeah, the 30% will make them rich. Sorry, but if my crystal ball is not broken, it suggests I better don't put money and time on such a venture.

ɃɃ
Fluttershy (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:00:46 AM

OUYA comes with a root button, so the jailbroken version is the same as the regular. It's the most dev friendly console there's ever been. Read the facts before you reply to a thread and put your ignorance on display.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: