Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:04:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a transaction from paper (load transaction from text)?  (Read 578 times)
AdotBdot (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 03:28:16 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2015, 03:44:19 PM by AdotBdot

Hey,

Basically, I'm producing a piece of documentation for a university degree project aiding businesses adopting Bitcoin telling them literally everything they need to know. The wallet client I'm recommending is Electrum, because I just personally love its simplicity, light-weightedness and un-cluttered GUI. It's just great, and I personally use it myself. Anyway, I know how to sign transactions from a cold storage using a USB flash drive (I utilise this quite often myself for personal use), but how the hell do you do it with paper?

On the watching only wallet: Tools > Load transaction > From text, obviously. But what goes in that box? I'm just not sure what I need to write down from the unsigned transaction to put in that box you know...

I'd like to be able to include how to use this feature in my work, advising that it's a useful feature if you need to send funds from a PC that you know full-well is compromised and you don't want to expose your cold storage. Obviously, smart malware can infect a USB flash drive and collect information from your offline wallet to transmit to the malware-host later when the flash drive is running on a machine with internet. It's just nice piece of mind if a client were to have tens of grands worth of funds in the wallet, and a really awesome feature none-the-less if I could figure it out.

PS.
If you want to help what I'm doing here a little I'd really appreciate you check this out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1012211.0
If you fill out that Google form and give me complete written answers I'd be willing to pay 0.002 or more per response depending on the quality.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, Electrum 2.0.4 btw

EDIT: Figured it out. For anyone interested:
Save your unsigned transaction, and edit the file with a text editor. Putting the hex code into that box on the watching-only wallet worked, that'd be an absolute ballache to have to write down however. If there's a shorter piece of code that can go in that "load transaction from text" box, more suitable for someone writing it down. Please do let me know.

Cheers!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 05:21:58 AM

There is a qr code plugin that you can enable (the plugins option is in one of the menus, can't remember offhand which one but you'll find it if you look). It allows you to display transactions as qr codes. If you have a web cam on your offline system it can read the transaction that way.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 06:39:33 AM

There is a qr code plugin that you can enable
There is no qr code plugin anymore in 2.0; the qrcode reader is enabled by default.
And if you want to display a qr code, use the new Receive tab

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: