Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:00:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating Wallet?  (Read 1283 times)
LowWaterMark (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 03:57:39 PM

I have an ancient 5 year old Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.0.1-beta Wallet which I haven't used in 2.5 years.  Currently, it's synchronizing with network . . . (albeit slowly).  Is there any reason to update my Wallet?  If so, would someone be so kind as to point me to a hyperlink or Forum Thread that describes how to:
(1) update my Wallet, I suppose, to Bitcoin Core version 0.10.0 and also,
(2) how to transfer my Bitcoins from my historical Bitcoin-Qt Wallet to the new Bitcoin Core Wallet.
SirLolicon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Sound Engineer for Hire

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 03:59:35 PM

I have an ancient 5 year old Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.0.1-beta Wallet which I haven't used in 2.5 years.  Currently, it's synchronizing with network . . . (albeit slowly).  Is there any reason to update my Wallet?  If so, would someone be so kind as to point me to a hyperlink or Forum Thread that describes how to:
(2) how to transfer my Bitcoins from my historical Bitcoin-Qt Wallet to the new Bitcoin Core Wallet.

There's actually a change in the update speed with the newer versions of the core, and some
fixes in the security against heartbleed and stuff like that. I'm not really sure, but it's much better to be updated Smiley

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 04:03:13 PM

Download the up to date wallet for your OS here[1] and install it. Do not remove the old version it will just be overwritten.

Just leave the wallet.dat in place when you update, it will not be overwritten. If you want to be 100% sure create another backup before you do 1.

[1]  https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:17:04 PM

Seems like you've missed a lot of things in the crypto world. Smiley Just download the bitcoin in here and choose what OS are you using right now ---> https://bitcoin.org/en/download You don't need to uninstall the outdated program because it will be simply overwritten.
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:21:48 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2015, 07:39:30 PM by LowWaterMark

SirLolicoin, shorena and dothebeats, thank you folks for responding to me.  Lot's changed since 2011!

Should I wait for it to catch up with the network before overwriting my wallet?  It's at 11% over the past ten hours and I'm in no hurry.  By biggest fear is corrupting a file doing an over the top install of Bitcoin Core V0.10.0 while Bitcoin-Qt is running (synchronizing with the network).  I back up nightly (Acronis > external Seagate HDD) so my .dat files are protected in there.  Or are you suggesting to just go into my C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin . . .\*.dat and stick it(them) on a thumb drive?  Where the heck are the dat files anyway, anyway?  There somewhere:  it's showing me a BTC balance.

All my Windows 7 (C:) drive is showing me inside Bitcoin named "wallet" is:

(1) wallet.cpp
(2) wallet.h
(3) walletmodel.cpp

Is my search engine flummoxed due to the age of my program?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:37:09 PM

Thank you folks for responding to me.  Lot's changed since 2011.

Should I wait for it to catch up with the network before overwriting my wallet?  It's at 11% over the past ten hours and I'm in no hurry.  By biggest fear is corrupting a file doing an over the top install of Bitcoin Core V0.10.0 while Bitcoin-Qt is running (synchronizing with the network).  I back up nightly (Acronis > external Seagate HDD) so my .dat files are protected in there.  Or are you suggesting to just go into my C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin . . .\*.dat and stick it(them) on a thumb drive?  Where the heck are the dat files anyway, anyway?  There somewhere:  it's showing me a BTC balance.

you just need to run the new client version, don't touch anything else in the bitcoin roaming folder, your balance will appear when the synching will reach the time when you coins were spent or acquired to your wallet
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:41:37 PM

Thank you, Amph.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:48:37 PM

SirLolicoin, shorena and dothebeats, thank you folks for responding to me.  Lot's changed since 2011!

(1) wallet.cpp
(2) wallet.h
(3) walletmodel.cpp

The synchronizing of the wallet in the latest blocks are really long. But as many would say, patience is a virtue. Just wait for it to synchronize, and also, do not touch any of the files in that folder. You don't want to ruin your balances and the program that you are updating, do you? Smiley
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 08:02:49 PM

Not particularly.  Unlimited wealth isn't one of my virtues.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 09:21:48 PM

(1) wallet.cpp
(2) wallet.h
(3) walletmodel.cpp

Probably, I just did a search and could not find it either. But its there, I couldnt tell you exactly where because I didnt know which OS you are using. Just open "Run" (winkey + r), enter
Code:
%APPDATA%\Bitcoin
and click "OK" it will show the hidden folder with your wallet.dat.

As long as you have a backup its a bit paranoid to create another one for the new version, but since its such a large step Id do it anyway.

I dont think it matters whether you sync first or sync once updated, but 0.10.0 can sync from more than one node and might thus be faster.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 01:14:00 PM

shorena and dothebeats, thanks again for your help and input

Unfortunately, I had a power-outage last night before I downloaded the new Bitcoin Core, while my old Bitcoin-Qt was still synchronizing.  I booted up and the in progress Bitcoin-Qt re-synchronization, of course was gone.  I wend to the download site (https://bitcoin.org/en/download) as instructed, chose my OS (64-bit Windows 7), downloaded and ran the executable, which is now running and synching up the block-chain ("Reindexing blocks on disk . . .").

Two things are curious:
(1) my UTD Malwarebytes Premium is blocking a handful of Incoming sites, which I hope is OK.  If not, should I shut it off?  Or, is it appropriately blocking bad sites since the last time it synched 4 years ago?
(2) although Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 seems to be displaying the accurate amount left in my wallet and the same last three transactions, although now they are all tagged in red as "out of sync", it (the executable) left my copy of the application, Bitcoin-Qt in the All Programs display of my Windows 7 Operating System.

Bitcoin Core - Wallet presently is chugging along, catching up.  With respect to the power-outage and interruption of the in-progress synchronization of the old Bitcoin-Qt, I'm a little freaked out.   Shocked

Any worries?
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 02:01:20 PM

Unfortunately, I had a power-outage last night before I downloaded the new Bitcoin Core, while my old Bitcoin-Qt was still synchronizing.  I booted up and the in progress Bitcoin-Qt re-synchronization, of course was gone.  I wend to the download site (https://bitcoin.org/en/download) as instructed, chose my OS (64-bit Windows 7), downloaded and ran the executable, which is now running and synching up the block-chain ("Reindexing blocks on disk . . .").

Two things are curious:
(1) my UTD Malwarebytes Premium is blocking a handful of Incoming sites, which I hope is OK.  If not, should I shut it off?  Or, is it appropriately blocking bad sites since the last time it synched 4 years ago?
(2) although Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 seems to be displaying the accurate amount left in my wallet and the same last three transactions, although now they are all tagged in red as "out of sync", it (the executable) left my copy of the application, Bitcoin-Qt in the All Programs display of my Windows 7 Operating System.

Bitcoin Core - Wallet presently is chugging along, catching up.  With respect to the power-outage and interruption of the in-progress synchronization of the old Bitcoin-Qt, I'm a little freaked out.   Shocked

Any worries?

I use Malwarebytes Premium too and I get a lof of incoming connections blocked since forever.. I assumed that's normal. I would like an explaination tho.

To sync, delete the old folder (but be sure to SAVE wallet.dat outside of it), then install Bitcoin 0.10, put the wallet.dat inside the folder and wait until it fully syncs (takes fucking forever, at least for me). So ideally leave it running at night. Dont worry for the "Out of sync" stuff, everything should show up correctly at the end.
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 02:26:30 PM

Two things are curious:

Bitcoin Core - Wallet presently is chugging along, catching up.  With respect to the power-outage and interruption of the in-progress synchronization of the old Bitcoin-Qt, I'm a little freaked out.   Shocked

Any worries?
1) does your computer have any viruses? bitcoin core doesn't accept incoming transactions unless you portforward 8333.
2) hm could you re-elaborate? I can't quite understand you. Perhaps you are saying the bitcoin core says they are out of sync even though it is accurate? It is because Bitcoin Core has to sync to the latest block to get the latest information. as you haven't touch the wallet for sometime, you could just spend it and the blockchain would still relay and confirm it. but if you send a transaction now, you would need to wait it to synchronize before you can see it.
anyway, you would probably have to upgrade since the blockchain needs to be reindexed and the synchronization is faster in 0.10.
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:27:20 PM

yeponlyone, you are kind to take the time to read and respond.

If there's one thing my system doesn't have, it's malware infection.  I run ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes Premium 24/7, both UTD.  Being particularly paranoid about rootkits and the payloads in modern Trojan Horses, I've also chosen to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium 24/7 as well as HitmanPro whenever my Windows 7 OS reboots.  I manage my logs and port settings and keep ESETand Malwarebytes as on call scanners for when appropriate and never less than weekly.

What Malwarebytes finds unacceptable is anything related to the old Bitcoin-Qt.exe which does make sense.  It probably is looking for a non-existent file.  The fact that it doesn't crash makes me confident that it reroutes itself to a Bitcoin Core executable to continue its synchronization.

Anyway, Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 is progressing along, and much faster than Qt was yesterday prior to my power outage.  That is if you put any stock in software progress bars and its testimony of how many weeks behind it is in synchronizing to its network.

Should I be concerned at this interim?  What bothers me now is that the old Bitcoin-Qt wasn't immediately disposed of by the Bitcoin Core executable write-over process.  Should I chill out?   Cool
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:09:21 PM

If there's one thing my system doesn't have, it's malware infection.  I run ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes Premium 24/7, both UTD.  Being particularly paranoid about rootkits and the payloads in modern Trojan Horses, I've also chosen to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium 24/7 as well as HitmanPro whenever my Windows 7 OS reboots.  I manage my logs and port settings and keep ESETand Malwarebytes as on call scanners for when appropriate and never less than weekly.

What Malwarebytes finds unacceptable is anything related to the old Bitcoin-Qt.exe which does make sense.  It probably is looking for a non-existent file.  The fact that it doesn't crash makes me confident that it reroutes itself to a Bitcoin Core executable to continue its synchronization.

Anyway, Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 is progressing along, and much faster than Qt was yesterday prior to my power outage.  That is if you put any stock in software progress bars and its testimony of how many weeks behind it is in synchronizing to its network.

Should I be concerned at this interim?  What bothers me now is that the old Bitcoin-Qt wasn't immediately disposed of by the Bitcoin Core executable write-over process.  Should I chill out?   Cool

i think at this point to be 100% secure, you should secure erase your ssd(i hope you have a ssd and not a hdd, it would sync must faster), because there could be some hidden virus/malware that cannot be detected, or keylogger too(i would suggest to use zemana anti-keylogger free for this)

btw malwarebyte has an option to check for rootkit, you must enable it manually, it's not enabled by default
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:29:17 PM

Amph, thank you for the advice.  I have a brand new 500GB WD VelociRaptor Local (C:) Drive.  I will replace it as needed (as will the rest of the world) with Solid State.  BillyBobZorton, thank you for four reply as well - somehow I missed it before when responding to Amph.  My Local (C:) Drive holds my OS (Windows 7) all my Programs.  It's fine tuned and fast (for a HDD).  Though backed up, I have angst in wiping it and doing a reinstall. 

My Bitcoin Core - Wallet v0.10.0 just finished synchronizing.  My BTC Total is accurate to the microBTC (6th digit past the decimal point, which is what it showed in 2011.  The transactions are likewise accurate.  The red notifications I mentioned two posts ago re "out of sync" are now gone.

In the bottom right corner is a small black BTC insignia and a green check mark preceded by 4 bars that ascend in height, L-R (red, 2 orange and the tallest, green).  I hope that makes sense because that is my only cause for concern.  Here's my final 2 questions:

(1)  Given the persistence of the unchanged, closed Bitcoion-Qt application, in which I could never find my old wallet.dat file and overwrote with Bitcoin Core - Wallet v0.10.0, should I minimize to my systray, or
(2)  Should I simply exit the Bitcoin Core - Wallet application until I need to use it again?
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:56:23 PM

I'm security happy.  Is there any reason not to encrypt my Bitcoin Core - Wallet (Settings > Encrypt Wallet)?
LowWaterMark (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 11:59:12 PM

And yes, one more question.

Is there any reason not to delete my Bitcoin-Qt which is in my Windows 7 OS Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) 32-bit Program Files, and shows no Date modification since 2011?

Will I lose my mysterious wallet.dat file that I cannot find?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 02:30:20 AM

=snip=

Here's my final 2 questions:

(1)  Given the persistence of the unchanged, closed Bitcoion-Qt application, in which I could never find my old wallet.dat file and overwrote with Bitcoin Core - Wallet v0.10.0, should I minimize to my systray, or
(2)  Should I simply exit the Bitcoin Core - Wallet application until I need to use it again?

I suggest you to minimize to system tray. So syncing will continue. If you close it, you will have to sync when you open it again to get upto-date Blockchain.

I'm security happy.  Is there any reason not to encrypt my Bitcoin Core - Wallet (Settings > Encrypt Wallet)?

I use it. If you encrypt your wallet, backup the password and unencrypted private keys somewhere safe. Remember, if you don't make a backup, you will loose Bitcoins if you forgot the passphrase.

And yes, one more question.

Is there any reason not to delete my Bitcoin-Qt which is in my Windows 7 OS Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) 32-bit Program Files, and shows no Date modification since 2011?

Will I lose my mysterious wallet.dat file that I cannot find?

From what I read, you used Bitcoin core 0.10 64-bit. If yes, there is no problem deleting the 32-bit file AFAIK.

Deleting Bitcoin-Qt won't make you loose your wallet.dat file. Assuming you didn't change default data dir, it is stored in %AppData%\Bitcoin. If you delete that folder, you will loose your wallet.dat file. Uninstalling Bitcoin-Qt won't make you loose it too but backup before uninstalling for security.

yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 06:41:59 AM

antiviruses gives lots of false positive. you are probably more secure than an average joe but i wouldn't care much if you haven't install any suspicious softwares or click on suspicious websites/links before.
encryption only protects you when someone has physical access to your machine. if there is a malware on your computer, your password will still be leaked when you try to spend it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: