Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:57:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate's potentially legitimate operation: shorting  (Read 1441 times)
BoardGameCoin (OP)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:55:38 AM

Supposing that pirate was interested in cyclically shorting bitcoins in a day-trading sense, it could make sense for him to borrow significant amounts of coins. Additionally, if he can induce panic selling as he moves to cash, he can essentially profit off of the fear/greed cycle. If he is legitimate, then some percentage of his coins are almost definitely in USD on the exchanges right now, and must be bought back over the next week.

Thoughts?

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:13:11 AM

This has been discussed before and many of us believe that is what pirate is doing.  You can defeat pirate by not falling into his trap by panicking.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:18:59 AM

Im also convinced of this.. 

Coupled with the buying of coin JUST to invest in him... 

Roll Eyes

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 04:38:12 AM

This has been discussed before and many of us believe that is what pirate is doing.  You can defeat pirate by not falling into his trap by panicking.

Since STOP orders are not offered on Gox, you physically have to hit the panic button to unload an underwater position.

Since leverage is not offered on Gox, you are not pressured into hitting the panic button, nor are you forced liquidated.

Buy low, Sell high. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 04:49:00 AM

Since STOP orders are not offered on Gox, you physically have to hit the panic button to unload an underwater position.

Since leverage is not offered on Gox, you are not pressured into hitting the panic button, nor are you forced liquidated.

Buy low, Sell high. 

Exactly.  If you do want to 'daytrade'.... set a price that you think bitcoin is worth.  Do not change it unless there is new data, not emotions from seeing the price go up and down.  Then buy when the price is below that by lets say 1 dollar, and sell when it is 1 dollar above that.  You will probably make money.   Stay sane, do not panic and do not play with money you can not afford to lose. 

BoardGameCoin (OP)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:54:17 AM

Well, I'm not selling any to pirate, though I do hope to buy a bit before he buys the price back up and then maybe some more once his lenders sell off some of their winnings. I'm curious whether there's any chance of him winding up in a short squeeze, but it looks like there's enough depth for him to be able to cover.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: