Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:48:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Apple Watch (iWatch), Will It Flop? Is Apple Devolving?  (Read 1358 times)
Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:23:22 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2015, 09:06:21 PM by Armis

After writing the title I decided to look up the word "devolve", for many years I thought it was the opposite of "evolve" but now I'm unsure.  Anyway, that's the way I'm using it in this context.  

The subject is 'The Apple watch', why is the world do we need a watch anymore?  Wasn't Apple instrumental in having us see how much a 'watch' is unnecessary for life?

What are they going to introduce next a high end multi-function 35mm camera?  I don't like the direction Apple is going creatively and/or politically this concerns me because I have a lot invested in Apple.   When the Dow Jones industrial average dumped AT&T for Apple I was really impressed, but now I'm thinking that might have marked the apex for the corp.  

The Apple watch is mega cool, great tech product, but I can't see it growing year after year, in fact I can't see it lasting two years, it's bound to be a flop.  It will likely sell to hardcore Apple enthusiasts for it's first edition collector's value and being able to say "I bought everything Apple introduced", but I can't see it surviving past the first edition.

If the watch flops Apple has the ability to cover it up quickly and quietly but the bigger question is are they out of bright ideas?

NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:39:31 AM

Apple Watch: iGarbage for iFools.

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
NyeFe

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 09:12:27 AM

hahahaa, you have a point but will it sell, and if not will it hurt Apple?

I noticed your sig, what type of development do you do?

Personally I think it would sell, well a few anyways, but I really think it's a strategic move. The point is not to sell a really expensive watch, I think what they're trying to do is to further increase their brands image as expensive, elite, elegant, desired and powerful, which will further boost future phone sells (which most people are able to afford) to gain all these status, at a cheaper price tag.

For my development, I work on IOS, android, Windows+PC and blackberry devices. These also include professional, expensive website (only for small Bitcoin related start-ups)

Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 09:30:08 AM

I noticed your sig, what type of development do you do?

Personally I think it would sell, well a few anyways, but I really think it's a strategic move. The point is not to sell a really expensive watch, I think what they're trying to do is to further increase their brands image as expensive, elite, elegant, desired and powerful, which will further boost future phone sells (which most people are able to afford) to gain all these status, at a cheaper price tag.

Whoa, if that is their plan that would be manipulative genius, and fitting of the mindset of current upper mgmt team.  

For my development, I work on IOS, android, Windows+PC and blackberry devices. These also include professional, expensive website (only for small Bitcoin related start-ups)

I'm working on a crowdfunding start up called PICISI, we are looking for someone to be our tech director.   The special thing about the site is that we want to allow campaign organizers to be able to accept fiat as well as cryptocurrency so we want to be able to integrate various programs into our system to be able to make that happen.

Right now the system allows for paypal, that will be the fiat line, then I want another currency line for the crypto.  It's important to note that the organizers can select any CC they wish to be the main/host CC, the host CC will be the CC that all other donated CCs will be immediately converted to, and maintained in, until the end of the campaign.   CCex has a system that allows merchants to accept and convert any coin on their exchange, Shapeshift and many other entities have apps that allow for intercurrency conversions.  We need someone to make it happen, up to date, and running smoothly.   The primary developer for the project is not a CC person they just do crowdfunding sites.

To know more about PICISI here is an informative link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=998200.0
NyeFe

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:31:40 AM

It sounds easy enough. I know I can make it happen

Purple Wayne

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:56:13 AM

Of course it will sell. Why wouldn't it? The thing you're forgetting is how many iFool fanboys are out there. Shouldn't most iphones flop when half of them are exactly the same as the last one that they bring out year after year? I think Smart Watches are kinda pointless really. Either get a watch or just use your phone (which most people do nowadays anyway). Smartwatches might be a fad but Apple will still sell a shit load of them until people realize how pointless they are.

I only wanted 2 see u underneath the Purple Wayne.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 11:02:33 AM

I was 9 years old when I began posting on Internet forums. Back then, I remember browsing a forum and there was a thread about how the iPod was going to be a flop and how the name was silly, etc. It was ~30 pages long and some people agreed with the OP while others disagreed. Of course, we all know how successful the iPod would later become.

At around 2007, Apple decided to introduce the iPhone. It looked different from every other phone out there. It had a massive screen (at the time) and just a single button where other phones would have dozens. Many people thought it was going to be a flop but eventually it became a huge success too.

At around the same time, Microsoft was selling tablet PCs and they were a flop. They released special tablet versions of their operating systems and the machines would flip around and you needed a stylus to operate them. Then Apple decided to introduce tablets too. Again the same threads popped up saying that the experiment had already been tried and failed and that that their iPad was going to be a flop because of this. In fact, many of the same arguments that I see being made against the Apple Watch were almost identical to those that were made against the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

Although I guess things might be different now that Jobs is no longer around, I'd be surprised if their new Watch doesn't do the same. Ever since Apple came out with their colorful iMac G3's in 1998, history has been very kind to Apple so far.
Lorenzo

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 12:21:24 PM

I was 9 years old when I began posting on Internet forums. Back then, I remember browsing a forum and there was a thread about how the iPod was going to be a flop and how the name was silly, etc. It was ~30 pages long and some people agreed with the OP while others disagreed. Of course, we all know how successful the iPod would later become.

At around 2007, Apple decided to introduce the iPhone. It looked different from every other phone out there. It had a massive screen (at the time) and just a single button where other phones would have dozens. Many people thought it was going to be a flop but eventually it became a huge success too.

At around the same time, Microsoft was selling tablet PCs and they were a flop. They released special tablet versions of their operating systems and the machines would flip around and you needed a stylus to operate them. Then Apple decided to introduce tablets too. Again the same threads popped up saying that the experiment had already been tried and failed and that that their iPad was going to be a flop because of this. In fact, many of the same arguments that I see being made against the Apple Watch were almost identical to those that were made against the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

Although I guess things might be different now that Jobs is no longer around, I'd be surprised if their new Watch doesn't do the same. Ever since Apple came out with their colorful iMac G3's in 1998, history has been very kind to Apple so far.

did you buy one yet?

Nope, and I probably won't be buying one. In fact, I'm usually a late adopter when it comes to technology. I only bought my first MP3 player in 2005 and it wasn't even an iPod. I bought my first smartphone in 2011 and my first tablet in 2014 and neither were Apple products. I recognize that they are innovative in their industry but by the time the technology has grown and developed to the point where I can see a personal need for it, it's usually the case that the competition has mostly caught up.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 12:32:26 PM

did you buy one yet?

Nope, and I probably won't be buying one. In fact, I'm usually a late adopter when it comes to technology. I only bought my first MP3 player in 2005 and it wasn't even an iPod. I bought my first smartphone in 2011 and my first tablet in 2014 and neither were Apple products. I recognize that they are innovative in their industry but by the time the technology has grown and developed to the point where I can see a personal need for it, it's usually the case that the competition has mostly caught up.

ok, apparently you are not an Apple groupie; but even as a "late adopter" could you see yourself buying a iwatch by any manufacturer at anytime?  Does the product resonate with you or is it more flashy gimmickry with no practical substance over existing gadgets?
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

Pre-orders for the watch, which started today, are already backed up as far as August for delivery so no the Apple watch will not fail and Apple is not devolving and your thread is a fail.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:01:46 PM

Pre-orders for the watch, which started today, are already backed up as far as August for delivery so no the Apple watch will not fail and Apple is not devolving and your thread is a fail.

ahahahaaaa, Iglasses, the watch is first edition and there are tons of die hard apple-heads, so of course it will sell the first year, that's not in question, the question is will it remain?  My contention is that it won't.   Not because it's not state of the art, but rather because no one needs a watch in the 21 century.   As such as the fashion fancy wears down (less than a year), the market for the watch will wane rapidly.   

I've invested in Apple for over 15 years, this year I've decided to cut back dramatically because I fear the CEO's focus is bifocated, and this watch thing just isn't going to cut it. 
I want to see real innovation indicative of an advancing corp.

Btw, a sharp indication of being "backed-up" is that they planned for and expected less, and they didn't want to get stuck with them otherwise they would have ordered far more, it's not like they are low on cash or people to do the work.   The higher than expected sales is more of an indication of the strength of their marketing campaign, again that type of promotion is not sustainable.

I'm sure there will be a few BCT people who will buy the watch, I'd love to hear what they have to say about why they made the purchase.

Kajune

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:03:31 AM

After writing the title I decided to look up the word "devolve", for many years I thought it was the opposite of "evolve" but now I'm unsure.  Anyway, that's the way I'm using it in this context.  

The subject is 'The Apple watch', why is the world do we need a watch anymore?  Wasn't Apple instrumental in having us see how much a 'watch' is unnecessary for life?

What are they going to introduce next a high end multi-function 35mm camera?  I don't like the direction Apple is going creatively and/or politically this concerns me because I have a lot invested in Apple.   When the Dow Jones industrial average dumped AT&T for Apple I was really impressed, but now I'm thinking that might have marked the apex for the corp.  

The Apple watch is mega cool, great tech product, but I can't see it growing year after year, in fact I can't see it lasting two years, it's bound to be a flop.  It will likely sell to hardcore Apple enthusiasts for it's first edition collector's value and being able to say "I bought everything Apple introduced", but I can't see it surviving past the first edition.

If the watch flops Apple has the ability to cover it up quickly and quietly but the bigger question is are they out of bright ideas?

Why would you still invest in apple which technologically inferior to Samsung? Don't you know that most components used by apple to this day are not made apple itself but from many companies including from Samsung? While the big majority of the components used by Samsung are made by Samsung.
Lorenzo

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:37:27 AM

did you buy one yet?

ok, apparently you are not an Apple groupie; but even as a "late adopter" could you see yourself buying a iwatch by any manufacturer at anytime?  Does the product resonate with you or is it more flashy gimmickry with no practical substance over existing gadgets?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't wear a watch anymore since my phone has pretty much replaced it but I remember back when I did wear one and I quite liked the fact that you could wear one and forget it was even there. I think the idea that you could do simple tasks on a smart watch without needing to take your phone out just like the way you can do simple tasks on a phone without needing to take your laptop out might prove to be useful in some situations.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 06:00:39 AM

I want something a lot more customizable than an iwatch.

I'm getting the Rufus Cuff.  It's big.

http://rufuslabs.com/

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 06:48:41 AM

I want something a lot more customizable than an iwatch.

I'm getting the Rufus Cuff.  It's big.

http://rufuslabs.com/

ouch! 

as I was watching the video I almost felt like it was a Saturday Night Live spoof on the iwatch -- it's a monstrosity.

The marketing and investment appears to be more attractive than the product itself, I only see ~50 sold (how is that) but nearly $500K in funds raised.   

Why would you still invest in apple which technologically inferior to Samsung? Don't you know that most components used by apple to this day are not made apple itself but from many companies including from Samsung? While the big majority of the components used by Samsung are made by Samsung.

I've invested in Apple for over 15 years, this year I've decided to cut back dramatically because I fear the CEO is bad for Apple.   Thanks for bringing that to my attention, up to recently I really didn't care about Apple's competition because 2nd place was so far away, but now I'm paying attention to others because I really don't like what the Apple CEO is doing in the name of Apple.

I'm actively divesting from Apple.  What are Samsung's future plans?  I want to see more technology integrated into other things not just phones, and I want to see higher security.
Kajune

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 09:22:59 AM

I've invested in Apple for over 15 years, this year I've decided to cut back dramatically because I fear the CEO is bad for Apple.   Thanks for bringing that to my attention, up to recently I really didn't care about Apple's competition because 2nd place was so far away, but now I'm paying attention to others because I really don't like what the Apple CEO is doing in the name of Apple.

I'm actively divesting from Apple.  What are Samsung's future plans?  I want to see more technology integrated into other things not just phones, and I want to see higher security.

[/quote]

I don't know much about the investation world so I don't keep up with what Samsung is doing, I only heard they are struggling with the decline of their smart phones sales. But one thing is for sure that the center of the world especially economy today is Asia, also by size Samsung is more bigger than apple because Samsung not only doing business on phones but also Tv, DVD, refrigerator, etc other home appliances and other areas including non electronics products.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:33:20 PM

Kajune you said: "also by size Samsung is more bigger than apple because Samsung not only doing business on phones but also Tv, DVD, refrigerator, etc other home appliances and other areas including non electronics products"

Are you serious?

Samsung has a market cap of 165B
and
Apple has a market cap of 700B

Which one look bigger to you?

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:37:53 AM

I'm curious to see how the apple watch will do over time and I'm hoping that it does well for investment's sake. It should do well this year at least and I guess we will see what they do for the next edition to see if it is a product that will last or not.
Kajune

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 10:08:16 AM

Kajune you said: "also by size Samsung is more bigger than apple because Samsung not only doing business on phones but also Tv, DVD, refrigerator, etc other home appliances and other areas including non electronics products"

Are you serious?

and

What is your source? From what I know apple only deal in electronics products and their smartphone and tablet market is more smaller than Samsung now. You probably only looking at Samsung electronics and not Samsung as a whole. The apple stock price is over valued and does not reflect on the real pundamental of apple.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 10:35:34 AM

Are you serious?

and

What is your source? From what I know apple only deal in electronics products and their smartphone and tablet market is more smaller than Samsung now. You probably only looking at Samsung electronics and not Samsung as a whole. The apple stock price is over valued and does not reflect on the real pundamental of apple.

Let's say my numbers are completely off, what are the numbers that you found/find; remember you are the one that believe "Samsung is more bigger".

Here two suggestions: do a search for the top 100 worldwide corporations, or go to any stock market and look up the numbers.   If you want to do some heavy research at both of their sites should be a resource called 'investor relations', look for the 'annual report' for last year, it will give you a breakdown of how they make their money.

Apple's itunes product is enormous and it costs nearly nothing to maintain because it's 99% electronic. 

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: