Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:08:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think mining will be profitable again ?  (Read 7018 times)
MonkeyCoin11 (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 04:12:47 PM

Hello,
Thank you for advice, but 3 or 5€ per year is very low. Maybe if I use this strategy i have to mine an other coin ?

To deal with more money you would need to use a bigger miner.   As philipma1957 your landlord will notice at a point.   You put in one miner maybe not depending on miner.   But lets say 2-3 S5, SP20, Avalon 4.1's they will notice the electricity price going up.

I'm not sure your contract as far as what is ok and not ok.  I have only had student housing that it would have been ok to do for "free"/included electricity.  But as it would have raised my roomates rates 25 dollars each i did not mine and make them pay what was called the "peak rate".  It just would have been a jerk move.  In most housing contracts there is something to deal with if electricity go to high.
Of course if i use more he will ask me a bit more money to cover charge, but it will be the right price then.

It's a touchy subject a you really don't want to go to a landlord and mention mining.  (I know within past 2 weeks I had one electrician practically run from doing a job when he saw a few miners sitting around. High electricity usage and unknown scares some.).   But you might search online and see what electricity price is to get a idea from your location.  Best would be to ask landlord make sure price of electricity and talk to him in advance before buying a bigger miner (I'm not sure if your contract allows to tack on a overage charge ontop).  But I do realize this is a conversation you chances are do not want to have with landlord.
Ok thanks for the advice, i am gonna search a bit then
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 04:37:17 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 04:49:16 AM by Stratobitz

Hello,
Thank you for advice, but 3 or 5€ per year is very low. Maybe if I use this strategy i have to mine an other coin ?

To deal with more money you would need to use a bigger miner.   As philipma1957 your landlord will notice at a point.   You put in one miner maybe not depending on miner.   But lets say 2-3 S5, SP20, Avalon 4.1's they will notice the electricity price going up.

I'm not sure your contract as far as what is ok and not ok.  I have only had student housing that it would have been ok to do for "free"/included electricity.  But as it would have raised my roomates rates 25 dollars each i did not mine and make them pay what was called the "peak rate".  It just would have been a jerk move.  In most housing contracts there is something to deal with if electricity go to high.
Of course if i use more he will ask me a bit more money to cover charge, but it will be the right price then.

It's a touchy subject a you really don't want to go to a landlord and mention mining.  (I know within past 2 weeks I had one electrician practically run from doing a job when he saw a few miners sitting around. High electricity usage and unknown scares some.).   But you might search online and see what electricity price is to get a idea from your location.  Best would be to ask landlord make sure price of electricity and talk to him in advance before buying a bigger miner (I'm not sure if your contract allows to tack on a overage charge ontop).  But I do realize this is a conversation you chances are do not want to have with landlord.
Ok thanks for the advice, i am gonna search a bit then

I am currently in the process of liquidating all of my mining equipment... A total of 50 T/hash of SHA256; and roughly 80 GPUs total.

The reason?

I lost/am losing my free electricity. Without that-- I would likely not get into mining right now, unless the AC was cheap/or I had a well thought out business plan to make an ROI.

I have been in a long term commercial lease (large space and large power capacity) for 5 years.

My lease just happens to be up... but at the same time; the building was sold to a new owner - who wanted to do a walk through after purchase and well... needless to say; after seeing our mining setup-- was not too happy. (We've been mining for over 14 months - highly profitable with zero AC costs).

So; the new landlord then digs up my lease; combs through the fine print, then sends me a not so nice letter demanding I cease all mining immediately (Basically our lease has a clause which describes our business/subletting/etc) - and that we will only operate "that type of business" under the lease - unless permission is given by the landlord.

They did not see mining bitcoins - which is in effect at it's simplist form turning electricity into currency - as "our business description" when we leased.

So miners were shut down.

Now, this just so happened all within 30 days of the end of our lease anyhow... and it was unlikely I'd find another space with free AC and that kind of power for no charge. So liquidation was a likely possibility anyhow.

But going back to what others have stated: Lease agreements have all sorts of fine print that can be argued to favor the landlord. Leases both residential and commerical - will often use language like "reasonable use" when utilities are included. If your landlord does in fact see that you are pulling (in our case - 32,000 watts - 24/hrs day) - they will no doubt find any way to get you to stop. And their lease document will likely have clauses which allow them to do just that.

Now; to simply close out my comments; I'd like to address my standpoint on the ethics of our mining situation:  1.) I was actually going to purchase the building during the sale process,,, but we could not agree on the fair value of the property (about 1.6 million difference) - so during the initial negotiations; locking in the 2M loan for the mortgage, the credit checks; life insurance; etc - I had access to all of the financials of the building operations - and the building - even with our AC was highly profitable for the owner.

Second: I work in media/content delivery/production - and I contemplated making the argument "Well what if instead installed servers: video streaming servers/or a large networked render farms which could do cloud rendering on demand... similar to mining right?  This could, given the setup- pull a high draw as well. And this setup WOULD be within my business description.

But 30 days out it wasnt worth the fight... It boiled down to the landlord didnt like "how" I was making money. Had I installed 32kW of servers - there would have never been a problem. Which leads me to my last point:

Much of the world still sees Bitcoin as a "shady" product to be involved with. The vast majority of the public has only heard about Silk Road; Bitcoin Corruption; Scandals; Buying Drugs Online; etc. So keep in mind that if you are called out on it - there could be reputation harm as well.

I don't think that was the case with my situation... but certainly something to consider.

Cheers,

Strato

EDIT:  Also - we were highly profitable, and likely could have been as well even with AC costs which are high in my area. We followed the model of Bitmain. We purchased miners only with short pre-sale windows - never long term "reserve" orders. We used the miners to mine using clock speeds - not burning them out. And we then would sell the miners as soon as the next-better-faster-more power effecient product was likely to hit to the streets.

So if you do delve into mining: I would recommend giving high consideration to an ongoing churn/exit strategy of equipment. Always by cycling your equipment. Always be current generation mining; selling while at the end of that generation... but still will fetch a good price, etc. Don't hold miners long periods - because they become obsolete rapidly.
MonkeyCoin11 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:30:09 AM

Thank you to share your experience with me Smiley
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:38:50 PM

seeing the trend, I dont think people would want to mine on a price decline.

The cost of maintenance will get you in the negative which is why bigger ones like CEX has ceized their operation.

dquancey

Activity: 587
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 08:36:55 AM

I remember seeing plenty of posts on various internet forums, stating that they mine ONLY one bitcoin per DAY and it was costing them more money in electric.

Why is that any different to today?

Obviously those that are currently mining at a loss, feel the same as those folks did back in the day.
MonkeyCoin11 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 12:24:17 PM

I remember seeing plenty of posts on various internet forums, stating that they mine ONLY one bitcoin per DAY and it was costing them more money in electric.

Obviously those that are currently mining at a loss, feel the same as those folks did back in the day.
Then why do they mine if they only lost ?
srgkrgkj
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

Mining could become profitable after the next bitcoi price halving with big farms forced to close small time miners will get the rewards with a lower diff too Tongue

explorer17

Activity: 237

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

It's profitable for "smart" guys...Ask KNC, Bitmain, Spondoolies, BB, if it's profitable or not  Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 04:44:08 PM

Mining could become profitable after the next bitcoi price halving with big farms forced to close small time miners will get the rewards with a lower diff too Tongue

The big farm's have the best electricity prices of anyone.  They had the money to chase very cheap electricity. 

If the big farms can't mine, it's likely no one could make ROI.   So like big miners or not it's best for us they still are profitable.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 04:50:08 PM

The big farm's have the best electricity prices of anyone.  They had the money to chase very cheap electricity. 

If the big farms can't mine, it's likely no one could make ROI.   So like big miners or not it's best for us they still are profitable.

IMO, the mining farms and large outfits are probably whats helping kill the bitcoin valuation. An outfit with huge electricity costs is converting a certain % of those mined coins into electricity payments, and that essentially means putting them on the market.

this is different than your enthusiast miner with a single asic, whose 7-30$ addition per month electric bill isn't being paid with bitcoin, because they're probably hodling.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 07:09:34 PM

this assuming that the price/hash will not have the same 1:1 ratio like now, if the price rise the hash will rise too, and it won't change anything from the point of view of the mining, actually it could be worse for casual, because less coin will be distributed, but the earning will stay the same
dquancey

Activity: 587
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 09:17:04 AM

Like I mentioned, they mine at a loss, in hope that the price goes up, therefore bringing them into profit again.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 10:46:51 AM

Like I mentioned, they mine at a loss, in hope that the price goes up, therefore bringing them into profit again.

there is more chance that they reached roi than mining at loss(it doesn't make sense to mine at loss, you can stop mining and waiting for the new opportunity windows when the btc price raise again), if they reached they are doen they can mine forever practically
srgkrgkj
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 11:15:30 AM

Well those who believe in Bitcoin may even mine at a loss, however the majority will simply back out Sad

3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 11:17:24 AM

if the price increases and difficulty stays the same then it will be profitable again but i don't think that will happen. IMO its better to buy bitcoin directly then mining.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 12:09:31 PM

Well those who believe in Bitcoin may even mine at a loss, however the majority will simply back out Sad

Majority would stop mining I agree with this.   it would take a lot to make the big farms unprofitable.

I would guess I would always run a miner just as I love bitcoin.  But I would not be able to maintain a big hash rate.
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:20:02 AM

Im sorry... Why EVER mine at a loss. Just shut off miners, and instead of paying the money to the electric company buy BTC at market price.

Mine at a loss... No smart business person would do that. Mining is just a way to buy bitcoins.

Strato
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:32:02 AM

Im sorry... Why EVER mine at a loss. Just shut off miners, and instead of paying the money to the electric company buy BTC at market price.

Mine at a loss... No smart business person would do that. Mining is just a way to buy bitcoins.

Strato

Once it becomes close to a loss or a loss, I think smart miners act.  Most will sell the gear to homes with less electricity price.

Only those with "free" electricity will use the miners once they are unprofitable.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:25:16 AM

Home mining, probably not. Mining industry has become very competitive and it s very hard for newbies to actually build up any sizable farm size to stay in business. All in all, it depends on your electricity price and the ability to achieve economies of scale. In other words, to buy as many miners as possible at the lowest possible price. I highly doubt many newbies can do that.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:35:30 AM

Home mining, probably not. Mining industry has become very competitive and it s very hard for newbies to actually build up any sizable farm size to stay in business. All in all, it depends on your electricity price and the ability to achieve economies of scale. In other words, to buy as many miners as possible at the lowest possible price. I highly doubt many newbies can do that.

If they have cheap electricity and plan it out yes they can.  You get some of the advantages of scale as you buy from a asic maker who made a ton of machines.   Now you need cheap electricity, that is not everywhere I agree on that.  Also really need a place without high import tax/vat.

You just have to mine smart.  I personally have started to put together my summer mining area.  I will use fan's to cool miners during summer as AC is to expensive to do it with.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: