Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "THE LIST"  (Read 27336 times)
erwin45hacked
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:09:12 PM

The whole "ad-sig" this has IMO become a major blight on this once useful forum (that is now mostly full of useless posts).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1019792.0

Although there are some "ad-sig" posters that make decent posts the problem is that IMO that is about 1% at most (so the rest of us have to put up with a huge amount of rubbish to allow a small percentage of people who aren't posting rubbish "to make money").

It's actually hard to even understand why a forum dedicated to "open source software" even does this.

Would you guys really support that bitcoin.org was filled with ads and that all Bitcoin clients would display ad sigs in them also? (of course not - you'd scream bloody murder if they did that).

IMO this thread is actually talking about user with rubbish posts, it doesnt mean that the rubbish post always comes from those with sig ads, it could be comes from those who are farming some account , but I myself are aware that most of the sig ads participants could be one the major rubbish poster

If you were to discuss about rubbish post from the sig ads poster, it will be better if you open up a new thread with such title

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 04:11:12 PM

If you were to discuss about rubbish post from the sig ads poster, it will be better if you open up a new thread with such title

It has been tried several times but unfortunately they get attacked by the ad-sig posters (which is why you have to self-moderate them) and by the mods themselves (yes - unfortunately most of the mods have ad-sigs).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:13:12 PM

No problem you are welcome, however I don't prefer to add users to ignore list because it is better (in my honest opinion) to read all the posts instead to don't read them. In this way we can "learn" more about bitcoin and other things (I know it is really annoying to read a troll write the same thing , and spread FUD in all the topics .... but who care?).

It is. But in the last few months we've witnessed an enormous noise to signal increase, making technically impossible to read the information within a thread. For what it's worth, apart from the sockpuppets, I constantly unignore people from the list for a short time to revise my decision... Wink

PS: List updated. This thread seems to be a sockpuppet magnet Tongue

Yes (also) your opinion is valid, however I think also the personal list is a personal thing but maybe it could be possible to create a standard ignore list (of valid and obviously troll and sockpuppets). For example few users in your list are real sockpuppets but I am still quiet in read their posts.

As I previously stated, I'm open to suggestions. If you feel like removing one (or more) please state their nicknames. I will revise their posts and will remove them.

@CIYAM:
It seems to me your thesis has a point. But I'd categorize it in between "good" and "evil". You see, not everything in life is "black or white" - actually, most things are (more than) 50 shades of gray! Grin

I find your estimation of "only 1% of the sig posts are worthy" a bit exaggerating. There are plenty of posts that certify your canon, but under no circumstances there are 99%.

Last but not least, as I wrote on the OP, this is my personal ignore list that it's open to suggestions. If you feel like contributing in any way, please do so, you're very welcome.

Cheers.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
mashcom

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:13:22 PM

It has been tried several times but unfortunately they get attacked by the ad-sig posters (which is why you have to self-moderate them) and by the mods themselves (yes - unfortunately most of the mods have ad-sigs).

... You point is invalid, if a forum team puts a signature ad then all your posts and fight are useless (IMHO). They should give to the community a better example and remove the sig ad (is this the thing that you want?).
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 04:18:57 PM

Admittedly I can't back up my 99% claim (so it could be vastly exaggerated) but I would be very surprised if the percentage of useless posts was under 50% (am not sure how we can prove this though).

Personally I am opposed to people getting paid to post at all but maybe that is also because I don't get paid to code (yet put in generally a hundred hours per week of coding effort).

And yes - I won't continue a discussion with an ad-sig poster any further (he is welcome to create an alt to join the other topic - but like most lazy ad-sig posters he won't bother).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Alt Accounts Unlimited

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:48:01 PM

IMO this thread is actually talking about user with rubbish posts, it doesnt mean that the rubbish post always comes from those with sig ads, it could be comes from those who are farming some account...

You make account farming sound like it's a bad thing.  I'm grazing this one even as we type, by adding my incisive commentary to this conversation.  As soon as this account is old enough and properly fattened, I'm going to sell it for a fraction of a coin in the digital goods section of this very forum.
...so that others could continue to contribute, but with paid signatures.

Cheers!
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:07:08 PM

The whole "ad-sig" this has IMO become a major blight on this once useful forum (that is now mostly full of useless posts).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1019792.0

did you accidentally lock that thread?

I really don't understand why  ad-sigs are allowed here. This is something very easy
to ban, so if there are people spending any time at all moderating this forum, they could
do it easily.

It might be that historically tipping and micropayments  was thought of as a nice
feature of Bitcoin and ad-sigs were a way to foster that. But the result is clearly
that the forum is drowned in crap.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

did you accidentally lock that thread?

No - what happened was that I was unable to "quote" any other post (gave an error) and then no-one was able to see any new posts via the Watchlist - so I locked it as there was simply no point to the topic.

Interesting how that happened maybe.

Alt Accounts Unlimited

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:38:12 PM

I really don't understand why  ad-sigs are allowed here. This is something very easy
to ban, so if there are people spending any time at all moderating this forum, they could
do it easily...

If signature campaigns are banned, they'll simply be orchestrated outside of the forum.
Since it would be wrong to ban a user for passionately supporting of his favorite ponzi / HYIP free of charge, the funding of signature campaigns will simply be take off-site.

This is a bad thing; uninitiated users will assume the eyeraping signatures attached to every post aren't there because the poster is being paid. These innocents will think the ads are there because so many people genuinely love the dice sites / ponzis /HYIPs in their signatures.

TL:DR: pretty much the logic behind allowing buying /selling forum accounts.
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:33:12 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2015, 08:48:57 PM by macsga

Admittedly I can't back up my 99% claim (so it could be vastly exaggerated) but I would be very surprised if the percentage of useless posts was under 50% (am not sure how we can prove this though).

Personally I am opposed to people getting paid to post at all but maybe that is also because I don't get paid to code (yet put in generally a hundred hours per week of coding effort).

And yes - I won't continue a discussion with an ad-sig poster any further (he is welcome to create an alt to join the other topic - but like most lazy ad-sig posters he won't bother).

Let me get this straight:
1. You're so pissed at people with ad-sig campaigns that you would stop a discussion with them just because of that and not because of what they were talking about.
2. Unless that specific individual would make a sock puppet account (without a sig) your participation to his musings wouldn't be granted?

What's all the hassle about? And why all the hostility? I'm truly sorry that I can't comply, please enlighten me.

BlatchMajorBitstaff

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:59:17 AM

1. You're so pissed at people with ad-sig campaigns that you would stop a discussion with them just because of that and not because of what they were talking about.
2. Unless that specific individual would make a sock puppet account (without a sig) your participation to his musings wouldn't be granted?

What's all the hassle about? And why all the hostility? I'm truly sorry that I can't comply, please enlighten me.

How does it feel to be on somebody else's list? Not cool amirite? Lest we forget the teachings of the Lord:

"Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine"

So...you know...stew on that for a bit. Roll Eyes
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:28:07 AM

How does it feel to be on somebody else's list? Not cool amirite? Lest we forget the teachings of the Lord:

"Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine"

BlatchMajorBitstaff. RIP my friend Cry

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:40:49 AM

What an bad idea, Macsga.

For a start:
mmitech (started out a bull, lost money, saw the light and told people they were being stupid and turned out to be correct ...BTC still going down).

ShroomsKit (a number of people used the same account -- they even admitted this was why the posts sounded schizophrenic -- but essentially they all got fed up with losing money)

fonzie (a day trader who made countless good calls about future BTC prices, including Ristos -- all hail Risto -- prediction thread, when he called 200 in mArch 2015, while the rest of you delusionals were talking about 10K)

So, it does seem you are just creating a hit list of people who don't share your opinion.

Of course, there are loads of trolls these days, but is it any wonder when the cultists are becoming more and more extreme in the face of mounting evidence BTC is going nowhere, supply far exceeds demand and the only hope is that "big money" comes in to manipulate the market before another huge 'correction'.

The entire forum is now like an internet slow motion car crash, with people like yourself in the back seat insisting everything is fine while everyone else watches from the safety of the sidewalk.  Do you think Theymos cares?  The traffic is probably through the roof with all the rubber-neckers and he gets to make a few last dollars from BTC.

macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:53:31 AM

What an bad idea, Macsga.

For a start:
mmitech (started out a bull, lost money, saw the light and told people they were being stupid and turned out to be correct ...BTC still going down).

ShroomsKit (a number of people used the same account -- they even admitted this was why the posts sounded schizophrenic -- but essentially they all got fed up with losing money)

fonzie (a day trader who made countless good calls about future BTC prices, including Ristos -- all hail Risto -- prediction thread, when he called 200 in mArch 2015, while the rest of you delusionals were talking about 10K)

So, it does seem you are just creating a hit list of people who don't share your opinion.

Of course, there are loads of trolls these days, but is it any wonder when the cultists are becoming more and more extreme in the face of mounting evidence BTC is going nowhere, supply far exceeds demand and the only hope is that "big money" comes in to manipulate the market before another huge 'correction'.

The entire forum is now like an internet slow motion car crash, with people like yourself in the back seat insisting everything is fine while everyone else watches from the safety of the sidewalk.  Do you think Theymos cares?  The traffic is probably through the roof with all the rubber-neckers and he gets to make a few last dollars from BTC.

Hi Nanobrain.

As I said, the list is an ongoing project; and I don't claim the infallible. I'm open to suggestions but let me explain why some people are there:

mmitech: He was constantly insulting people with his posts and/or provoke them. That's why he's into the list.
ShroomsKit: You typed it yourself. He was nothing but noise just like mah87, so he fell into the the >80% troll category.
fonzie: If you check at his posts, he turned delirious and also insulted some people so he fell into category mmitech is.

So you see, "not everyone who's not sharing my opinion is there". Like I wrote in the OP, the list is to keep MYSELF (and whoever wants to use it) free of the noise those people make. The forum is "open", so if you want to read everything you can do so if you don't login. Not to mention that you can just choose not to use it, or (like many people so far) add me to your ignore list as well.

Consider that I offer this list only for people with "similar thinking". Not to "everybody".

Cheers.

PS: BlindMayorBitcorn is out of the list as well.

macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:57:16 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 12:22:30 PM by macsga

If you read my posts regarding this list you should -by now- have understood that I don't give a rat's ass who has me on his ignore list. You should do the same... Grin

PS:List updated.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 08:06:53 PM

Thank you for this public service MACSGA, it's a great alternative to the abolished newbie jail.

julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 08:14:38 PM

Yes, thank you. Thank you for the list and thank you for putting up with the uhh 'responses' that maintaining this list generates.

=P
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:10:58 PM

Thanks guys. I just hope Theymos brings back the Newbie Jail. This thing is just a poor alternative; good thing is that it works. Smiley

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 10:21:40 PM

Newbie jail won't help, they just make 50 accounts at a time and rotate them out, making new ones as the old ones are banned, and aging them as they use the already created ones. It would only be effective for the first few days. It affects legitimate users more than them.

What would really help is if people would stop responding to the trolling and giving them the attention they want, that's pretty much the sole reason they keep coming back.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:50:09 PM

Newbie jail won't help, they just make 50 accounts at a time and rotate them out, making new ones as the old ones are banned, and aging them as they use the already created ones. It would only be effective for the first few days. It affects legitimate users more than them.

What would really help is if people would stop responding to the trolling and giving them the attention they want, that's pretty much the sole reason they keep coming back.

Some of them are really funny. Do you ever question their motivation?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: