Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:18:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-08-20 forbes.com 'WikiLeaks Bypasses Financial Blockade With Bitcoin'  (Read 2214 times)
stan.distortion (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:16:05 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2015, 04:20:30 PM by stan.distortion

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:55:23 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/08/20/wikileaks-bypasses-financial-blockade-with-bitcoin/
Jon Matonis

People shouldn’t fear their government; government should fear its people. Publishers and journalists will not be intimidated nor silenced. Now entering day 626 of the financial blockade against WikiLeaks, Julian Assange sits in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London awaiting safe passage.

So now it is time to bring it on?

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.
No, don't "bring it on".

The project needs to grow gradually so the software can be strengthened along the way.

I make this appeal to WikiLeaks not to try to use Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a small beta community in its infancy.  You would not stand to get more than pocket change, and the heat you would bring would likely destroy us at this stage.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 12:03:14 AM

So now it is time to bring it on?

If it's accommodating $22 million in annual sales revenue on Silk Road, I think it can handle little ol' Wikileaks.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
thomkaufmann

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:13:25 AM

WikiLeaks' decision to accept bitcoin seems to be the reason Satoshi left the project when he did. This is his penultimate post:

It would have been nice to get this attention in any other context.  WikiLeaks has kicked the hornet's nest, and the swarm is headed towards us.

Only four months later, Gavin announces he's visiting the CIA. Do you think Satoshi was pissed at WikiLeaks?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:18:18 AM

WikiLeaks' decision to accept bitcoin seems to be the reason Satoshi left the project when he did. This is his penultimate post:

It would have been nice to get this attention in any other context.  WikiLeaks has kicked the hornet's nest, and the swarm is headed towards us.

Only four months later, Gavin announces he's visiting the CIA. Do you think Satoshi was pissed at WikiLeaks?

That's just pure speculation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: