Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:47:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems using RPi with cgminer  (Read 3063 times)
xDGDZEx (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

So I have finally switched over to using my Raspberry Pi to manage my BFL Singles so that I can have my laptop back, but I'm running into some problems. I was using the Windows 7 version on my laptop, and while I did have a few problems (was still using 2.3.6 because it worked best), everything was pretty good. However, after switching to linux which I am not as familiar with, more problems are coming up. The biggest one is that all my singles sometimes refuse to run at stock speeds, which they have been for months using the windows version of cgminer. Also, more importantly about 1/3rd of them throw "Comms Error" and go down to 0MH/s. I've seen it on different units at different times, so it doesn't appear to be necessarily related to individual units.

I'm not really sure what causes these to happen, so I'm not really sure how to start troubleshooting it. Anyone have any idea? This is really driving me crazy...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 06:34:33 PM

how many singles are you trying to run with the RPI?

Try it with just one and see if its more stable. I have never tried it with Bitcoin force singles, but the ModMiner Quad and was only able to get one modminer to mine with any kind of stability with the RPI
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:02:25 PM

I have 9 hooked up to it. The ones that are working run rock solid more or less, at least as well as they did on W7, but three just give nothing but Comms Errors. It is vaguely similar to a problem I had with cgminer versions after 2.3.6 where I could not run all nine in the same instance, and had to split it into 6 & 3. I may try that later today.
cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 07:05:03 PM

yeah dude theres no way it will run 9 singles

I would be surprised if you get 2 to work.

xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:22:46 PM

Perhaps my understanding is lacking, but why exactly?
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:48:12 PM

Perhaps my understanding is lacking, but why exactly?

Im also curious. I had planned on running my ModMiners from a single Pi.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:06:42 PM

Tried it with Ztex boards. one single 1.15x is ok..... two will mine a at least a day and then the Rpi freezes. I tied to run 18 Boards (the pi doesn't like quads!) but that didn't work.

The Pi is a real bitch when it comes to USB connections...... Doesnt like any of my hubs, cables or just devices. I think that this has something to do with feedback power from USB.

cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 08:13:39 PM

Even though Cgminer/BFGminer does not use a lot of cpu resources, it appears that the arm chip on the RPI is not enough to mine with more than one fpga device; At least not with the software we have now, I am able to get 1 single ModMiner Quad to run very very stable on a RPI but with more than 1 unit things get a little flaky.

As far as I know I have not heard of anyone getting more than one FPGA based mining unit to run on the RPI but I could be wrong. I am sure it would be much more efficient if someone wrote a specific mining program for the RPI instead of just taking what we currently have - that is traditionally run on Intel/AMD based cpu and compiling it for the RPI.

btw: if anyone wants a copy of bfgminer for the RPI - pre-compiled you can download it here:

http://btcfpga.com/files/linux_binaries/bfgminer-2.5.0-pi.tar.gz

Doff

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:22:41 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2012, 10:16:21 PM by Doff

Just a couple tips for you guys, I had 2 Icarus, and two CM1 boards running on my PI. One thing that is crucial is a good powered USB hub, the next is a good Power Adapter. The power adapter solves the random crashes with cgminer and losing usb ports.  I don’t know about the BFL's or modminer but my problem was mostly the Power Adapter.

You can get the best power adapter from Adafruit.com

I guess I should add I currently have 2 Icarus, and 1 CM! running at 1.3mhsh or 16.5 U for over 4 days with the new Power Adapter on my PI.
Plazzman

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:25:25 PM

I have been looking into this situation with the Pi. I do not have any units to test this with yet but thought this trick for the usb power feedback may work.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=100459#p100459

cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 09:31:34 PM

Just a couple tips for you guys, I had 2 Icarus, and two CM1 boards running on my PI. One thing that is crucial is a good powered USB hub, the next is a good Power Adapter. The power adapter solves the random crashes with cgminer and losing usb ports.  I don’t know about the BFL's or modminer but my problem was mostly the Power Adapter.

You can get the best power adapter from Adafruit.com

I guess I should add I currently have 2 Icarus, and 1 CM! running at 1.3mhsh or 16.5 U over for 4 days with the new Power Adapter on my PI.

Thanks for this information!

This weekend I will be putting together a large amount of ModMiners to ship on monday so I will test the limits of the PI and let you know.
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:53:02 AM

Interesting. Well that puts me pretty well in a jam, because I need my laptop for school, and I cant have them on my desktop because of BSOD issues and the heat.

Guess I'll just have to limp along until support is better.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:29:18 AM

Im planning of buying a little Via/ intel/ AMD driven Thin Client for my mining operation..... They don't consume much and they are (used) really cheap Smiley

cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 05:52:52 PM

Interesting. Well that puts me pretty well in a jam, because I need my laptop for school, and I cant have them on my desktop because of BSOD issues and the heat.

Guess I'll just have to limp along until support is better.

After talking to some other people about this, I think you will be alright with a powered USB hub, and a better power adapter.
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:02:13 PM

I have both a powered hub and a power adapter rated at the correct voltage per the RPi suggestions...so not sure quite what to do. I just went ahead and got a used mini pc, which I can always use for other things if the Rpi ends up working in the future.
cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 08:43:15 PM

yeah I use a netbook to host my fpga miners at it only adds 10 watts to the rig, not bad at all.

But you are supposed to use something a little more powerful then whats recommended if your going to be mining through usb

try 5.25 volts instead of 5 and increase the ma a bit
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:46:23 PM

yeah I use a netbook to host my fpga miners at it only adds 10 watts to the rig, not bad at all.

But you are supposed to use something a little more powerful then whats recommended if your going to be mining through usb

try 5.25 volts instead of 5 and increase the ma a bit

You are talking about the power adapter to the RPi itself right?
cablepair

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:37:11 AM

yes
Doff

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:51:17 AM

I have both a powered hub and a power adapter rated at the correct voltage per the RPi suggestions...so not sure quite what to do. I just went ahead and got a used mini pc, which I can always use for other things if the Rpi ends up working in the future.

Use this one to be specific, its 5.25v and it wont lose that v when you put a load on it. Best one out there for a PI. Im now at at 6 days without a crash on my Pi with 4 miners running cgminer. Power Adapter really makes a difference.

http://adafruit.com/products/501
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 06:44:23 AM

Even though Cgminer/BFGminer does not use a lot of cpu resources, it appears that the arm chip on the RPI is not enough to mine with more than one fpga device

[...]

I am not using a RPi, but from my experience processing power is a non-issue for cgminer on embedded devices.

I have 40 CM1 Quad boards attached to a TP-Link TL-MR3020, mining with cgminer as flawlessly as they do on a standard PC. That guy uses less than 1.5W (with WiFi disabled), energy efficiency wise you can't get much better than that. It is driven by a 400MHz MIPS µC with 32MB of RAM. Don't know the RPi specs in detail, but it should be more powerful than that, so don't expect processing power limitations.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: