Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:57:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that the bet is over...  (Read 2529 times)
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:42:58 PM

+1

Does pirate have the scammer tag yet?

I think I will have to leave the forums for a while if every thread derails to the topic of either pirate or mnw before the third post even though the first post explicitly says "let's move on to something else".

back on topic: I think the next big thing for bitcoin is the collapse of fiat currency and the banking cartel. Until then, we better get our shit together and be ready to deliver sound money, I don't wanna have to pay stuff in silver coins or trust some central authority with the value of our accounting units ever again.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And who will run the internet for you when fiat collapses?

don't worry, we will.
Aah, so you run the internet.
I always wondered who that was.
But seriously, let me stress:
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mobodick

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:46:41 PM

+1

I think I will have to leave the forums for a while if every thread derails to the topic of either pirate or mnw before the third post even though the first post explicitly says "let's move on to something else".

back on topic: I think the next big thing for bitcoin is the collapse of fiat currency and the banking cartel. Until then, we better get our shit together and be ready to deliver sound money, I don't wanna have to pay stuff in silver coins or trust some central authority with the value of our accounting units ever again.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a valid point. If fiat collapses quickly, much of our public infrastructure will stop working...we need an orderly transition in order for Bitcoin to have value...we need a minimum connectedness to keep Bitcoin running...

Dude, that's a monumental understatement.
If this happens society is fucked, plain and simple.
No electricity and all supply chains will go belly up and there will be a long time of fucking hunger and malice.
We will have to start from zero.
The LAST thing people will need is some cryptocurrency that needs heaps of energy to even make work to act as money.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:46:54 PM

Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.

Bold added for emphasis, you should at least do a modicum of research before making a post like this IMO.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1173889#msg1173889

He was awake and provided the rope with which the scamming noose was formed.

He accepted my 1BTC bet that did not conform to his stated interpretations. He has made no indications he will pay this 1BTC.

1 btc
1N6GNq3JpFoFTWDMjkn1bXWEbTHiFuPZkf
On condition that a more than a 10% haircut is considered a default, regardless of creditor acquiesence.

Agreed.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:48:17 PM

I don't doubt the creative resiliency of the clever. I'm sure there will be people from ham radio heroes to members of the civil air patrol broadcasting/distributing copies of the block chain...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:51:54 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 07:25:30 PM by bg002h

Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.

Bold added for emphasis, you should at least do a modicum of research before making a post like this IMO.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1173889#msg1173889

He was awake and provided the rope with which the scamming noose was formed.
I hadn't seen this. This is interesting...gonna have to think about this...

Addendum:  thought about it. And it's brilliant. Matthew turned a large group of people who were claiming with certainty that pirate was a scammer and anyone investing with him an idiot into people who bought hook, line and sinker his own equally silly scheme...Pretty funny. Childish. But still funny.

Anyhow, I'm hoping mesh networks take off. I do see a need for banks with multisig to protect those that need it. I hope our point of sale merchant services guys can crack the market. I'm totally gonna get a BitInstant credit card. I hope our devs can get the size of the blockchain down...
I still see the future as bright.

Addendum 2: I confess to using my iPhone for this. And not having read all the info available at the time of my OP. I've only got so much time in a day.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:57:36 PM

+1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a valid point. If fiat collapses quickly, much of our public infrastructure will stop working...we need an orderly transition in order for Bitcoin to have value...we need a minimum connectedness to keep Bitcoin running...

Allright, sucessfully started a discussion Wink

In that pretty-bad-case scenario of most of the public infrastructure collapsing, disregarding other, probably more pressing consequences (like food, water supply problems):

How about: build mesh networks using wifi routers. Power might come from car batteries (which we charge at peoples houses who have solar on the roof). Inter-city links will be harder, but I guess amateur radio (low bandwidth, I know, but enough for blockchain) and/or amplified directional wifi could be used?

Still: there will be islands and no global connectivity at first, probably for a long time.

Also: mining will crawl to a halt and we'll get stuck with way too high of a difficulty, like namecoin. Maybe that's good though... having blocks found every couple of days or weeks allows the found block to propagate via sneakernet or pidgeons with usb sticks, reducing the risk of long-running parallel chains.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mobodick

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:19:31 PM

+1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Allright, sucessfully started a discussion Wink

In that pretty-bad-case scenario of most of the public infrastructure collapsing, disregarding other, probably more pressing consequences (like food, water supply problems):

How about: build mesh networks using wifi routers. Power might come from car batteries (which we charge at peoples houses who have solar on the roof). Inter-city links will be harder, but I guess amateur radio (low bandwidth, I know, but enough for blockchain) and/or amplified directional wifi could be used?

Still: there will be islands and no global connectivity at first, probably for a long time.

Also: mining will crawl to a halt and we'll get stuck with way too high of a difficulty, like namecoin. Maybe that's good though... having blocks found every couple of days or weeks allows the found block to propagate via sneakernet or pidgeons with usb sticks, reducing the risk of long-running parallel chains.

Ever calculated how much power the creation of one block costs?
There are any number of actually usefull stuff that will be used for barter, like food and water.
People trying to do bitcoin in such a situation will most likely severely hamper their chances to survive.
Remember, this is the apocalypse. People rioting and stuff.
FIRST concern is staying alive.
Bitcoin will have exactly zero purpose in a sociatal apocalypse.
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:21:22 PM

What is the rough electricity cost of a block? Hopefully less than its USD equivalent...

bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:25:46 PM

There are any number of actually usefull stuff that will be used for barter, like food and water.
People trying to do bitcoin in such a situation will most likely severely hamper their chances to survive.

^this

I will want something of value to other people, i.e. gold, silver.  I won't want your fucking electronic coins.  People are so delusional.  If the shit does hit the fan BTC will be worthless.

Now excuse me, I have to learn how to bash a deer's head in with a rock because I bought bitcoins instead of a gun.
mobodick

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:31:17 PM

^this

I will want something of value to other people, i.e. gold, silver.  I won't want your fucking electronic coins.  People are so delusional.  If the shit does hit the fan BTC will be worthless.

Now excuse me, I have to learn how to bash a deer's head in with a rock because I bought bitcoins instead of a gun.

Try using two fairly large rocks with the head in between.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:34:25 PM

^this

That might work with a fish but not with a deer.
mobodick

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:36:44 PM

^this

Get better rocks...
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:38:38 PM

^this

Get better rocks...

I have a special on deer crushing rocks @ 20 BTC / rock.
mobodick

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:43:44 PM

^this

Get better rocks...

I have a special on deer crushing rocks @ 20 BTC / rock.
Do you take gold or silver?
Maybe a deer head in mint condition?
bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

^this

I tried this, they are fast little bastards.  I'm going out today and trying the jump out of a tree and wrestle it to the ground method. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: