Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:22:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that the bet is over...  (Read 2529 times)
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:27:10 PM

Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:28:51 PM

Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.

+1

Does pirate have the scammer tag yet?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:29:27 PM

All of the things he describes in his interview with Micon he contradicts and also adds to.

http://www.donkdown.com/media/DDRadio-2012_08_22_19_00_07.mp3

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:35:38 PM

I just checked, and yes, he finally got one.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:38:51 PM

All of the things he describes in his interview with Micon he contradicts and also adds to.

http://www.donkdown.com/media/DDRadio-2012_08_22_19_00_07.mp3
I have listened to it. It's what makes me think he's a decent guy. He sure picked a foolish bet, but then again there were many people gambling in pirate...equally foolish. But Mathews point is well taken...it reminds me of the people calling Casascius an idiot when he made a typo on his first series coins...people who hadn't actually done something for the community...(not that I've done much)

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:40:48 PM

You guys are taking this way too far.

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:44:35 PM

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

People made their bet because Matt told them to hedge for a pirate default when they could have sold their debt at 75% when the bet started.  They did in fact lose money because of this.  Stop trying to explain this away.  He is a scamming fuck.  Period.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:46:16 PM

Matthew might be worse for bitcoin than Pirate. Pirate was clear as day a scam.

Matthew was branded staff on this forum and EIC of btc mag, etc, etc, etc

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:47:14 PM

Clearly. Imaginary money vs REAL MONEY....obviously worse  Roll Eyes

coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:49:19 PM

Well, people who counted on the bet hedging their pirate debt surely lost money by not taking other offers.

And we don't know for sure why he pulled this stupid stunt, he sure did nothing to prove his original cause, and he may well have profited from it, e. g. by dealing in the pirate debt market himself.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:49:41 PM

Clearly. Imaginary money vs REAL MONEY....obviously worse  Roll Eyes

It's Bitcoin Reputation (w/ businesses and others) vs. People Too Stupid that sent their money to someone named "PIRATEAT40"

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:54:21 PM

People made their bet because Matt told them to hedge for a pirate default when they could have sold their debt at 75% when the bet started.  They did in fact lose money because of this.  Stop trying to explain this away.  He is a scamming fuck.  Period.
Not trying to explain it away. I'm trying to show that precisely this type of reasoning is childish.

BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

Not trying to explain it away. I'm trying to show that precisely this type of reasoning is childish.

It certainly seems so in retrospect, doesn't it? Matthew, unlike Pirate, had a good reputation and known identity.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:07:10 PM

Boo Hoo... just wen I thought I had 'water-wings', it turns out that they popped and I will end up drowning anyways...LOL

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:09:18 PM

Boo Hoo... just wen I thought I had 'water-wings', it turns out that they popped and I will end up drowning anyways...LOL

Bitlane it is going to be really hard for any of us who did not lose money with pirate to even flinch at your trolling.

The fact that you did invest with pirate...well....speaks for itself in large volumes.

Cheers!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:13:05 PM

Bitlane it is going to be really hard for any of us who did not lose money with pirate to even flinch at your trolling.

The fact that you did invest with pirate...well....speaks for itself in large volumes.

Cheers!

Seriously what a dumbass.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:19:07 PM

+1

I think I will have to leave the forums for a while if every thread derails to the topic of either pirate or mnw before the third post even though the first post explicitly says "let's move on to something else".

back on topic: I think the next big thing for bitcoin is the collapse of fiat currency and the banking cartel. Until then, we better get our shit together and be ready to deliver sound money, I don't wanna have to pay stuff in silver coins or trust some central authority with the value of our accounting units ever again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:37:56 PM

+1

I think I will have to leave the forums for a while if every thread derails to the topic of either pirate or mnw before the third post even though the first post explicitly says "let's move on to something else".

back on topic: I think the next big thing for bitcoin is the collapse of fiat currency and the banking cartel. Until then, we better get our shit together and be ready to deliver sound money, I don't wanna have to pay stuff in silver coins or trust some central authority with the value of our accounting units ever again.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And who will run the internet for you when fiat collapses?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:40:33 PM

+1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

don't worry, we will.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bg002h (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:42:00 PM

+1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a valid point. If fiat collapses quickly, much of our public infrastructure will stop working...we need an orderly transition in order for Bitcoin to have value...we need a minimum connectedness to keep Bitcoin running...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: