Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:45:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Pirate, it's Monday....WHERE ARE MY BITCOINS ?  (Read 33156 times)
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:40:54 PM

NO LEGIT BUSINESS BORROWS AT 7% PER WEEK
According to this message "Everyone on the pro-pirate team says he is pretty rich in USD anyway so he can take some BTC losses or W/E". Is that really true? Then why do they think he would pay a fortune to borrow other peoples money? It's kind of amusing that we're on the 3. day after he should have started paying, and some people still believe they'll get the money. He would have to do some pretty cleaver tricks to get out of this, the only thing I'm certain is that it does not involve paying 300k+ bitcoins.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:42:46 PM

NO LEGIT BUSINESS BORROWS AT 7% PER WEEK
According to this message "Everyone on the pro-pirate team says he is pretty rich in USD anyway so he can take some BTC losses or W/E". Is that really true?

No.  I've not seen anyone say Pirate was USD rich.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:43:32 PM

Yes. But he has incentive to pay ppl back if it's legit bussiness
Not really. If he pays people back X bitcoins, he has X bitcoins fewer than if he doesn't pay people back. That's true regardless of how he acquired those bitcoins. If he can get away with not paying people back, his incentive not to pay them back is the same. (Of course, if he doesn't have the bitcoins, paying people back is not an option.)

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you don't think Pirate was running a ponzi scheme and think we actually made huge profits, it doesn't follow that he'll make the promised payouts. He could still default, and for basically the same reason.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:13:19 PM

Also, pirates are not generally known for running legitimate businesses.

If we were to be judged based only on our forum nicks, you'd already be at an extreme disadvantage.

AT THE SAME TIME not judging by name at all puts you in a similar kind of disadvantage.
gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:14:00 PM

First, your scenario can't avoid a technical default, since he already *has* technically defaulted.
Agreed. Pirate actually defaulted on Monday.

But in the terms of his bet with Vandroiy he has two weeks grace. And in the terms of Matthew's bet he has three weeks grace.

I can't wait to see how the "terms" of those bets will morph.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 02:15:23 PM

First, your scenario can't avoid a technical default, since he already *has* technically defaulted.

But in the terms of his bet with Vandroiy he has two weeks grace. And in the terms of Matthew's bet he has three weeks grace.

i smell big trouble...

thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:39:16 PM

All the signs were there, yet people still could not overcome their greed.
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:06:53 PM

Now you do. I'm saying it. I believe I've said it before, in the form that I believe he has been selling "his" bitcoins already over a longer period of time.

By the way, this also makes it difficult to predict the bitcoin valuation over the next few days and weeks. Some people were speculating that the pirate would sell bitcoins and thus depress the price, but this will not happen.

Of course, those who mistakenly believe they will get their bitcoins back will believe that the bitcoin price will fall, because at least some of the "investors" would sell their newly gained bitcoins. But this is a fairy tale.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:08:40 PM

Now you do. I'm saying it. I believe I've said it before, in the form that I believe he has been selling "his" bitcoins already over a longer period of time.

By the way, this also makes it difficult to predict the bitcoin valuation over the next few days and weeks. Some people were speculating that the pirate would sell bitcoins and thus depress the price, but this will not happen.

Of course, those who mistakenly believe they will get their bitcoins back will believe that the bitcoin price will fall, because at least some of the "investors" would sell their newly gained bitcoins. But this is a fairy tale.

+10

hgmichna

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:09:50 PM

Vandroiy's bet terms have been published. They cannot be altered.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:10:10 PM

If we were to be judged based only on our forum nicks, you'd already be at an extreme disadvantage.

AT THE SAME TIME not judging by name at all puts you in a similar kind of disadvantage.

Have you heard of Jimmy Buffet?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:12:03 PM

but what we need is a hedge for his bet! will do you do or should i do this?  Grin

Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:13:55 PM

And this week or next there is a mad rush of new investors from the media releases, enter the running of the bulls bitcoin style, there will be blood.
hgmichna

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:14:28 PM

but what we need is a hedge for his bet! will do you do or should i do this?  Grin

You mean invest BTC5,000 in the BullShit Trust and wait until they double? Go ahead.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:16:31 PM

You mean invest BTC5,000 in the BullShit Trust and wait until they double? Go ahead.

that was ironic, sorry I forgot the tags!

hgmichna

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:20:03 PM

that was ironic, sorry I forgot the tags!

Hehe, no problem.
hgmichna

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:45:51 PM

How about not playing the fool, and waiting for the payouts? He said a week or 2, it's been 2-3 days.

Where did he say that? What exactly did he say?

Still talking smack but too cowardly to put your money where your mouth is I see.   Come on big man, there's a free 250BTC waiting for you over in Matthew's thread.  How can you possibly lose, right?

Until you actually show a little backbone, shut up with your nonsense.

Would you still want me to bet?

And why did you not answer the question: Where did he say "a week or 2"? And what exactly did he say?

Don't overlook that that was my question to which you answered, but which you did not actually answer.
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 04:52:05 PM

How about not playing the fool, and waiting for the payouts? He said a week or 2, it's been 2-3 days.

Where did he say that? What exactly did he say?

Still talking smack but too cowardly to put your money where your mouth is I see.   Come on big man, there's a free 250BTC waiting for you over in Matthew's thread.  How can you possibly lose, right?

Until you actually show a little backbone, shut up with your nonsense.

Would you still want me to bet?

And why did you not answer the question: Where did he say "a week or 2"? And what exactly did he say?

Don't overlook that that was my question to which you answered, but which you did not actually answer.
From his original announcement:

So now what?
I’ve spoken with my clients over the last week and come to an agreement that would allow me to close down my operation within a week.  Currently my reserve (operating wallets) are drained from fulfilling the withdraw spree that happened after the rate drop announcement.  All withdraws at this point will be delayed until Monday when the shutdown process begins..  

At this point I will no longer accept deposits.  Any coins sent into the system as of now will be returned immediately.

When will I get my coins?
Starting Monday I’ll begin systematically closing and withdrawing accounts as coins are transferred.  I don't expect the entire process to last longer than a week. The moment your account is closed you’ll receive your coins plus any interest accrued up to the hour it was sent.

I think he said 1-2weeks on IRC on monday as well.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:55:30 PM

I think the bottleneck in this process is the market prices, no? 

Mousepotato
Bascule

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:05:08 PM

I think the bottleneck in this process is the market prices, no? 

*facepalm.jpg*

The bottleneck is that pirate is keeping all the coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: