Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:37:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: How to Identify a Ponzi  (Read 2130 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 02:33:09 AM

This kind of huge scams will certainly affect the bitcoin economy and credibility. And why are we browsing these forums? Only to speculate? That's why I think the moderators should ban anything that resembles to a ponzi scheme, to protect both users and bitcoin.

I dont see how they can ban lending and borrowing on the forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
puffn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:36:09 AM

How does the 'Dead Man Switch' work again, exactly ?

I am confused....and still short a few Bitcoins.

It is a chest hidden in Davy Jones' locker.

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 09:40:02 AM

This kind of huge scams will certainly affect the bitcoin economy and credibility. And why are we browsing these forums? Only to speculate? That's why I think the moderators should ban anything that resembles to a ponzi scheme, to protect both users and bitcoin.

While I think people will always fall for these too-good-to-be-true and get-rich-quick-schemes, wise investors will require personal information from people they are loaning money to.  They will know exactly what they are doing with that money and when they will get it back.  Anything short of that is a bad investor.  Invest in what you know, and if you don't know what your investment is doing then you are not investing, you are gambling.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 05:35:01 AM

Why was this thread moved to "Service Discussion" from "Long Term Offers"?  It should be stickied in the long term offers imo, to warn potential lenders of scammy deposit offers.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:58:33 AM

Why was this thread moved to "Service Discussion" from "Long Term Offers"?  It should be stickied in the long term offers imo, to warn potential lenders of scammy deposit offers.

I think it belongs in long term offers, stickied or not.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 06:42:41 AM

It wasn't moved it was split, it's discussion about how to recognize ponzis and the dangers, not another Pirate thread.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 07:22:03 AM

One clear sign that pirate was/is operating a pony is that he is forced to close his business because of the fact that many investors wanted to get their principal investment back at the same time. Otherwise why does it matter if they want their bitcoins and he has them right? Also there shouldn't be a delay if he has all of their funds. So far he hasn't returned all investor coins....

Investors must practice due digilence and not risk more than they can afford to lose.

EG:

Ask the right questions, or you could get caught in a pony scam!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 07:37:57 AM

One clear sign that pirate was/is operating a ponzi is that he is forced to close his business because of the fact that many investors wanted to get their principal investment back at the same time. Otherwise why does it matter if they want their bitcoins and he has them right? Also there shouldn't be a delay if he has all of their funds. So far he hasn't returned all investor coins....

One possible flaw in this otherwise stellar logic is that he may have actually been using most of the coins for a productive purpose. How can he both invest the money he borrowed from people and pay them back at the same time?

Just saying.
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:12:53 AM

One possible flaw in this otherwise stellar logic is that he may have actually been using most of the coins for a productive purpose. How can he both invest the money he borrowed from people and pay them back at the same time?

If I, hypothetically, follow your logic, he did not have to shut down all at once. He could have said, I will wind down my business and shut down your accounts one by one over the next three months.

Of course this is all nonsense, because we have a picture-book Ponzi scheme here. It is only food for thought for those who still think it possible that the pirate operated a legitimate business that produced 3,300% interest per year.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: