Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:10:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please No (Hard) Drug Avatars  (Read 2725 times)
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 05:55:21 AM

Interesting topic...  I had no idea avatars had such powers.

I guess we can all safely assume that dewdeded isn't fully recovered yet.  A fully recovered addict would pay more attention to the I DO NOT CONSENT right under the avatar.

Not that I don't have compassion for dewdeded...  BUT...  I'm afraid...  I'm gonna have to stick this one out.  I honestly want to see if the Admins & Mods are hypocritical enough to make me remove an avatar...  while they proceed to being indifferent about everyone and their momma getting scammed left & right on this forum.

I wonder if dewdeded needs to provide a court order to have my avatar removed?  Apparently...  that's the only way to get threads removed even for obvious ongoing cases of embezzlement with third party witnesses/confessions...   Roll Eyes

I think your Crystal Meth avatar is questionable at best since seems to infringe avatar rules as set by theymos. However, if you really have compassion for OP you should kindly address his concerns. Also, i'm not going to support a battle for freedom to wear avatars with illegal drugs.

=snip=
2) Is NSFL allowed? [NSFL = Not Safe For Life]

No.

=snip=
9) How should users report those with infringing avatars?

DMCA takedown notices or any other legal thing must be emailed to me. For other issues, post about it in Meta.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:55:30 AM

Here we go again..

What does that even mean?  Do you mean I shouldn't have replied or just that my reply is not to your liking?   Undecided

None of both. Just another event that has sparked staff hate. We should she tecshare here soon Tongue.

It was more of a joke.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3064

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 06:21:28 AM

Install adblock and block the avatar.  Don't force your views on others.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:38:11 AM

I am recovering Monero addict. Please remove your avatar then.
I think this is a pretty dick thing to say. There is a huge difference between being a recovering drug addict and being annoyed at shitty alt coins with no value.

Assuming the OP is telling the truth then he it trying to get his life back on track after most likely hitting rock bottom. A monero avatar is noting more then a minor annoyance at the very worse.

in theory the OP could end up relapsing and ruining his life and/or someone else's life from looking at the avatar in question. You might end up being annoyed for another 2 seconds while scrolling past his posts after looking at his avatar.

There is a huge fucking difference. I am not sure if those kinds of avatars should be censored or not, however you need to learn to be much more respectful.
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:40:20 AM

Install adblock and block the avatar.  Don't force your views on others.

Isn't smaragda essentially forcing his views onto other people? His user title has little to do with anything imo, and I think its pretty immature. Besides there are several people who are unwilling to make threads or posts about this subject that find would find his profile picture highly offensive. According to statistics, unless bitcointalk is in some different world. This isn't the darkweb, I think this site should still have some type of relative jurisdiction. I doubt if someone was wearing a shirt around 24/7 with crystal meth shards on it that they would get very much support from the community. Again, freedom of speech is necessary. But respect for others is as well.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:42:39 AM

I think this is a pretty dick thing to say. There is a huge difference between being a recovering drug addict and being annoyed at shitty alt coins with no value.

Assuming the OP is telling the truth then he it trying to get his life back on track after most likely hitting rock bottom. A monero avatar is noting more then a minor annoyance at the very worse.

in theory the OP could end up relapsing and ruining his life and/or someone else's life from looking at the avatar in question. You might end up being annoyed for another 2 seconds while scrolling past his posts after looking at his avatar.

There is a huge fucking difference. I am not sure if those kinds of avatars should be censored or not, however you need to learn to be much more respectful.

Thank you.
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:58:07 AM

Isn't smaragda essentially forcing his views onto other people?

True...  you're referring to the I DO NOT CONSENT...  right? 

No, I'm not. I'm referring to the avatar you have for your account. That everyone can see including people such as the OP as well as other people not willing to make posts or threads about it. Your user title has little to do with anything. Its like showing a meth addict smoking a pipe saying "don't try this at home kids".  Not trying to be an ass, but just have respect for other people. 
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 06:59:12 AM

I was planning to make the same "joke". Not so much because it's supposed to be funny, but mostly because it's absurd to censor ourselves based on what someone feelings might be. Everyone can feel insulted by anything. I am sure there are people who made huge losses by some alt coin and might got depressed because of it, so any logo of that alt coin can make them feel bad too. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. I think that was the point of EAL.

I think the rule of "NSFL" is clear enough and unless it was a photo of a half-dead meth junky that's bleeding on the streets, it is obviously pretty safe.

It's fair enough that there are some instructions for OP to self-censor, and it seems with this topic (adblock, ignore, etc), there are ways. Also I would personally probably still change the avatar out of respect and because it's a pretty lame avatar, but should be allowed imo.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:59:52 AM

I guess asking nicely didn't work this time. Sorry, I tried Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:07:02 AM

Isn't smaragda essentially forcing his views onto other people?

True...  you're referring to the I DO NOT CONSENT...  right?  
This is not the government trying to censor you. This is a human being asking for help in order to better his life. There is a major difference.

I don't think you would like it if you were aware and fully knew that you were the reason why another human went through self destruction because of you
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:12:27 AM

I was planning to make the same "joke". Not so much because it's supposed to be funny, but mostly because it's absurd to censor ourselves based on what someone feelings might be. Everyone can feel insulted by anything. I am sure there are people who made huge losses by some alt coin and might got depressed because of it, so any logo of that alt coin can make them feel bad too. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. I think that was the point of EAL.

I think the rule of "NSFL" is clear enough and unless it was a photo of a half-dead meth junky that's bleeding on the streets, it is obviously pretty safe.

It's fair enough that there are some instructions for OP to self-censor, and it seems with this topic (adblock, ignore, etc), there are ways. Also I would personally probably still change the avatar out of respect and because it's a pretty lame avatar, but should be allowed imo.
I don't think EAL had ever invested any money (or BTC) into monero. I think he is more pro-bitcoin (as most people on here are).

I don't think someone who saw the name/logo of a shitcoin that they lost money on would potentially do any real damage to them.

On the other hand there is a real possibility that someone who sees pictures of hard drugs could relapse. Sure it is possible to use, among other things adblock to not see the specific avatar the OP is using, however it would be possible that he make a miner change to his avatar in the future and he would then again see the avatar, or someone else could download/use the sam avatar which would cause the OP similar harm.

Sure when ignoring the original context of the OP EAR's statement might be funny,, however when taking the topic of discussion into consideration, it is far from funny and just inconsiderate
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 08:32:53 AM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

No, I'm not. I'm referring to the avatar you have for your account. That everyone can see including people such as the OP as well as other people not willing to make posts or threads about it. Your user title has little to do with anything. Its like showing a meth addict smoking a pipe saying "don't try this at home kids".  Not trying to be an ass, but just have respect for other people. 

What if I told you that I have a need to look at the crystals with a daily reminder of I DO NOT CONSENT in order to not relapse myself?

Lets just assume for a second this is true. This does not require you to do this in public now, does it? Could be your bathroom mirror, your desktop wallpaper or a 1000 different places.

-snip-
Sure it is possible to use, among other things adblock to not see the specific avatar the OP is using, however it would be possible that he make a miner change to his avatar in the future and he would then again see the avatar, or someone else could download/use the sam avatar which would cause the OP similar harm.

The first is not possible. The URL for e.g. your avatar is: https://bitcointalk.org/useravatars/avatar_<YOUR_USER_ID>.gif
Maybe the ending changes depending on the format the picture was uploaded as, but that could be blocked as well. Its certainly possible that someone else uses a similar avatar though, which again is blocked with 2-3 mouse clicks.

What I learned from the "horny manga girl flaunting breasts is NSFW" discussion is that we cant keep everyone proteced and we should not. The internet is a reflection of society in general. OP might as well see an addict on the street. That would probably be a greater challanger for their selfcontrol.

I also agree with BadBear that the discussed avatars tell a lot about the person wearing them. I might also think they are idiots/racists/yerks/sexists/etc, but they also have a right to express themself and their views.

Sure when ignoring the original context of the OP EAR's statement might be funny,, however when taking the topic of discussion into consideration, it is far from funny and just inconsiderate

I agree. EAL's reply was out of line, but Im also certain that it was made in light mood without much consideration.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:34:54 AM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

It is unfortunate that any avatar causes negative feelings, but I don't want to censor avatars that are offensive/disturbing to only a small minority of forum members. Many people will be negatively affected by many different images, and while banning each individual thing might not be a big deal, banning them all would make the avatar rules uncomfortably restrictive, I think.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 08:38:56 AM

No, I'm not. I'm referring to the avatar you have for your account. That everyone can see including people such as the OP as well as other people not willing to make posts or threads about it. Your user title has little to do with anything. Its like showing a meth addict smoking a pipe saying "don't try this at home kids".  Not trying to be an ass, but just have respect for other people.  

What if I told you that I have a need to look at the crystals with a daily reminder of I DO NOT CONSENT in order to not relapse myself?

I don't think that is plausible. If you were looking at a dead man or injured man and some drugs near to him with a daily reminder*, it may help you. What you said now doesn't work IMHO. You may like to use that avatar, but you should also consider other's request. I hope you will.

* I am not saying to put it, just an example.

Grand_Voyageur

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 09:15:28 AM

It is unfortunate that any avatar causes negative feelings, but I don't want to censor avatars that are offensive/disturbing to only a small minority of forum members. Many people will be negatively affected by many different images, and while banning each individual thing might not be a big deal, banning them all would make the avatar rules uncomfortably restrictive, I think.

I can understand your position and I would like a friendly agreement could be reached between OP and smaragda; however, I just wandering what a NSFL avatar should be to be deemed as such. As per your post a NSFL avatar image is not allowed, since illegal drugs while being of course illegal are also dangerous to health and obviously not safe for life I'm just guessing what is a NSFL content?
=snip=

No.
=snip=
Are the following NSFL?

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 09:20:27 AM

I can understand your position and I would like a friendly agreement could be reached between OP and smaragda; however, I just wandering what a NSFL avatar should be to be deemed as such. As per your post a NSFL avatar image is not allowed, since illegal drugs while being of course illegal are also dangerous to health and obviously not safe for life I'm just guessing what is a NSFL content?
=snip=

No.
=snip=
Are the following NSFL?

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

He can simple use ad block plus or similar to hide the view of a specific avatar, if there is only an "user complaint". I think theymos should receive a lot of "complaint" by the community and after he can 'act' but now it seems there is not the case.
Grand_Voyageur

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 09:44:09 AM

He can simple use ad block plus or similar to hide the view of a specific avatar, if there is only an "user complaint". I think theymos should receive a lot of "complaint" by the community and after he can 'act' but now it seems there is not the case.

Sorry, but i don't see only 1 user complaint at least after re-reading the last 3 pages. I see a few more. However, I think that following the re-introduction of avatars some users are simply trying to test how much extreme/illegal/objectionable/etc images are allowed to stay.
Personally, I would like a clear boundary set by admins and put among the sticky rules.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 10:17:27 AM

Sorry, but i don't see only 1 user complaint at least after re-reading the last 3 pages. I see a few more. However, I think that following the re-introduction of avatars some users are simply trying to test how much extreme/illegal/objectionable/etc images are allowed to stay.
Personally, I would like a clear boundary set by admins and put among the sticky rules.

The community majority should disapprove that avatar not one or only few users, however the solution to that problem has been given *adblock*, insert the link of the user avatar in the filter, confirm and reload the page... et voila! The censorship is not a good thing and there is always a "second way" to resolve the problem.
Grand_Voyageur

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 11:54:36 AM

The community majority should disapprove that avatar not one or only few users, however the solution to that problem has been given *adblock*, insert the link of the user avatar in the filter, confirm and reload the page... et voila! The censorship is not a good thing and there is always a "second way" to resolve the problem.

I may agree with you that having to resort to censorship is at best a failure; however, i think we really need a better explanation of what a NSFL image is. Adblock could be a nice & wonderful ad-hoc temporary solution to de-escalate the whole issue but this would not explain what a NSFL image is. Otherwise, we'll see similar avatar & complaint thread popping up everyday with ever worse images & moods. As marcotheminer said before: Here we go again..
Just my 2 satoshi, however.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 01:00:02 PM

Lets just assume for a second this is true.
I don't think that is plausible.

I rest my case.

What case? My point came after the above statement. I took your statement serious and asked why you would need to have a reminder on a public board instead of a more private place.

-snip-

IMHO neither of the pictures are NSFL. My understand of NSFL is something that watching alone would scar you. Typically rotten.com would be considered NSFL.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: