Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:10:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-08-20 Engadget.com BitInstant founder says BitCoin debit card to launch  (Read 2025 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 03:21:03 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/20/bitinstant-founder-says-bitcoin-debit-card-to-launch-within-next/

A BitCoin debit card could be in your very near future thanks to the efforts of trader-backed BitInstant. That fund transfer outfit, dedicated solely to the digital currency, has partnered with an undisclosed international bank to launch a branded debit card within six to eight weeks. News of the development first surfaced yesterday during an online chat with company co-founder, Charlie Shrem, in which he confirmed the cards would cost users $10 apiece to purchase and carry a 1% bitcoin transfer fee, as well as $1.50 ATM withdrawal fee. To further streamline the exchange process, users will be able to make quick transfers under $1000 by scanning a QR code overlay on front or by accessing the personal BitCoin address listed on back -- all possible with a single confirmation. Initially, the cards will be denominated solely for USD, GBP and EUR, but more foreign currencies could soon be added in the lead up to its official debut. For now, those are the only bits Shrem was willing to share, as further details on this plastic alternative will be forthcoming prior to official launch. Until then, there's always AMEX.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:27:08 AM

In other words, BUY BUY BUY! Wink

Really looking forward to it. I wonder if it will ship before the Ellet/Bitcoincard/etc?
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 09:36:20 AM

Also tipped of the verge yesterday. They picked it up today  Wink

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/21/3257144/bitinstant-bitcoin-debit-credit-card-rumor
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:34:53 AM

Yankee: couple of questions regarding Bitinstant's card

i) who holds (owns, possesses, stores, has access to etc?) the centralised database that links the cardholder's identities with the UNIQUE bitcoin address-card number pairs?

ii) how many copies of the bitcoin private keys associated with the UNIQUE bitcoin public address on the card exist and where will they reside?

Thanks.

Timbo925

Activity: 352

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:50:34 AM

i) who holds (owns, possesses, stores, has access to etc?) the centralised database that links the cardholder's identities with the UNIQUE bitcoin address-card number pairs?

ii) how many copies of the bitcoin private keys associated with the UNIQUE bitcoin public address on the card exist and where will they reside?

Thanks.

Good questions.
Just wanted to point out a secure way to use it. You can use a other service like blockchain.org to store your own safe wallet (using 2-fact auth + second password for sending) If you want to buy something with the card just scan the code with your cellphone and deposit some funds.
This way even if your Bitcoin Debit Card is stolen (or hacked) funds stolen will be limited.
They could support 1 confirmation for the deposits because you need to identify for getting a card. 
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:08:46 PM

I'm totally having one of these when they're out  Cheesy using mining revenue to pay for my spending directly? Yes please  Wink
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:25:40 PM

also in the german SPIEGEL-online:

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/kommt-die-prepaid-karte-fuer-bitcoins-a-851158.html
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:59:06 PM

I cross posted that for you;)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102302.0
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:22:41 PM

I believe this is the biggest Bitcoin news since Silk Road. So much discussion about this everywhere.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 01:03:41 AM

Yankee (BitInstant) : ?

Thanks.

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 05:14:30 AM

Yankee (BitInstant) : ?

Thanks.

1- The only people who have access to it is BitInstant. The bank, mastercard, card issuer does not have access to or need any of this info. Your privacy is safe.

2- So, there is 1 address printed on the card, but we can easily pin more addresses to it.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:57:54 AM

1- The only people who have access to it is BitInstant. The bank, mastercard, card issuer does not have access to or need any of this info. Your privacy is safe.

Thanks. I assume that the usual caveats of such ID data being subject to request by relevant governing authorities, etc, etc .... also does BitInstant have any plans to datamine this database for its own commercial purposes, e.g. promotions, targeted marketing, etc?

2- So, there is 1 address printed on the card, but we can easily pin more addresses to it.

Umm, interesting that you can "pin" other addresses to the card, but what I was actually asking about was the number of copies, and whereabouts, of the private key associated with the card's public address.

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:23:58 PM

Thanks. I assume that the usual caveats of such ID data being subject to request by relevant governing authorities, etc, etc .... also does BitInstant have any plans to datamine this database for its own commercial purposes, e.g. promotions, targeted marketing, etc?

Umm, interesting that you can "pin" other addresses to the card, but what I was actually asking about was the number of copies, and whereabouts, of the private key associated with the card's public address.

To answer your first question - we might datamine to get general data on usage in terms of average transaction volume etc but we won't be spamming people.

As for where the private keys will be held - we'll be holding them internally on one of our servers devoted entirely to this one task, the only access will be via SSH from a small whitelist of IP addresses and we'll take all the usual security precautions including external penetration testing etc.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 04:00:44 PM

1- No, never. The only time the information would be shared is if we sell the company, but we'd give some time to opt out, or a change in our current TOS.

2- Ah sorry, I didnt read the question fully. We have our www.bitinstant.com/security page which will be updated with information regarding this.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:42:02 PM

I hope this will be available for CAD very quickly!!

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:14:45 PM

I hope this will be available for CAD very quickly!!

+1

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: