Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:22:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will we see SC ASIC in the wild on or before Nov 30, 2012 on your fav. timezone  (Voting closed: November 02, 2012, 03:46:49 AM)
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Will BFL deliver a Bitforce SC ASIC by November 30, 2012  (Read 6427 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:25:11 PM

Might be they deliver some sort of new product - but by no chance the ASIC they claim to be developing...

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or people just don't know how businesses work...

Let's simplify it a bit:
1. Product offered
2. Product bought in large quantities
3. Product meets expectations

Does anybody know what happens if #3 isn't met?

This isn't rhetorical by the way...I'm actually curious about what people think is going to happen given the cynical views so far.

I can't say for sure what they would do if they do not meet the specs. But with the last prouct they released, they lowered the price from $699 to $599 when it was found that the product missed the projected specs on hash rate and power consumption. With that product one would assume they had very, very little wiggle room between their costs and the selling price because of the particular FPGA chip that was used. With this product, it is assumed that the costs to manufacture the actual units, after NRE costs are set aside of course, is a much smaller percentage of the current listed selling price. If they did have to lower the initial price, it would cause some logistical headaches but could be compensated for by extending the time before which they lower the price again, competing products being unavailable that is.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:41:21 PM

I can't say for sure what they would do if they do not meet the specs. But with the last prouct they released, they lowered the price from $699 to $599 when it was found that the product missed the projected specs on hash rate and power consumption. With that product one would assume they had very, very little wiggle room between their costs and the selling price because of the particular FPGA chip that was used. With this product, it is assumed that the costs to manufacture the actual units, after NRE costs are set aside of course, is a much smaller percentage of the current listed selling price. If they did have to lower the initial price, it would cause some logistical headaches but could be compensated for by extending the time before which they lower the price again, competing products being unavailable that is.

Ah, didn't know that they dropped prices...though that makes sense. I noticed that BFL has been around since August 2009, but are the first products they've released been the FPGAs?

If so, I imagine that it's been sort of 'trial and error' for them to get everything right within the Bitcoin community. Given a year of FPGA deployment so far, I'd hope that they have a better idea of what to do and look for when they release ASIC devices. Maybe we'll get "closer-to-posted" specs...or maybe faster shipping...or maybe a discount of sorts? At this point I guess only time will tell...

peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 05:50:49 PM

Hopefully the shipping times get reduced dramatically. The rest of there issues i can probably live with at the moment. The demand is obviously huge so there should be no reason to under produce on units. I'll take a miner that uses twice the power at half the price for the same MH/s any day. 9+ weeks plus to reach my door is the deal breaker even if it still is the better option from a profitability stand point, which it is. I actually just canceled my order because of that. I'll re evaluate them in a few months.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:19:17 PM

Hopefully the shipping times get reduced dramatically. The rest of there issues i can probably live with at the moment. The demand is obviously huge so there should be no reason to under produce on units. I'll take a miner that uses twice the power at half the price for the same MH/s any day. 9+ weeks plus to reach my door is the deal breaker even if it still is the better option from a profitability stand point, which it is. I actually just canceled my order because of that. I'll re evaluate them in a few months.

Yeah, I'm actually contemplating the same. 3 months to reach your door after paying for the order is insane. What are they doing, digging up the silicon and building each chip by hand for the small devices?
Maybe they didn't expect the volume of FPGAs? Ugh, who knows...

I wish there was a reliable company representative that would be around to answer all our questions, give BFL some good PR, and put some of the cynicism and conspiracies to rest Tongue

ursa

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:47:02 PM

Maybe the BFL old lady from QC is now manually soldering the transistors for the ASIC
YokoToriyama

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:14:26 PM

This world we are all in is riddled with scams and promise's ., i trade a lot in the stock market and the same rational decisions used to pick out anything i'm investing any money has been used here. first of all any company that used paypal for a form of a payment knows
that if the wall falls through on them paypal will freeze there bank accounts faster then you can say "ASIC"

BFL labs is not new making their product., they have produced functional equipment that is already out and
producing mining capability.. also if you take consideration a VC.

Working with a VC, they are trying to make as much money possible., that's why they have upgrade programs
and are seeking there craft.

Do i think it will come by oct 31.. i hope so

but my answer is no., It still takes a very logistical time for this product to be shipped in 8 weeks.

Chrstian

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:59:01 PM

They may very well have something they will call an ASIC, however looking at what happened last time.... i figure 10 GH/sec is more likely than 40 GH/sec. although since im heavily invested in GPU im hoping its 0 GH/sec xD Tongue
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 08:15:54 PM

They may very well have something they will call an ASIC, however looking at what happened last time.... i figure 10 GH/sec is more likely than 40 GH/sec. although since im heavily invested in GPU im hoping its 0 GH/sec xD Tongue

If they don't meet the specs, I am curious as to see what they prioritize: Hashrate or power consumption?

I assume they want to keep the BitForce Single 'SC' below 1500 kW (so you can still plug it into your wall at home), which gives them an UPPER bound of 37.5 Watt/ 1 GH/s. This is still reasonable, looking at some of the power specs some competitors claim to achieve (e.g. ASICminer: ~10 Watt / 1 GH/s, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91173.msg1062854#msg1062854)

Thus the question if their chip is 50 Watt / 1 GH/s. Will they hand out a 30 GH/s@1500W or a 40 GH/s@2000W ?

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 09:23:57 PM

If largecoin is claiming 20GH/s at 100W i think tech has improved quite a bit. It should be in a similar range.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 09:54:36 PM

If largecoin is claiming 20GH/s at 100W i think tech has improved quite a bit. It should be in a similar range.

Would you please provide a reference when you quote numbers. Thanks.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:19:43 PM

I'm sure you know how to use the search features on this site. The BFL jalapeno is suppose to use a usb port only. What's that 3.5GH/s at 5W or so?
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:27:54 PM

I'm sure you know how to use the search features on this site. The BFL jalapeno is suppose to use a usb port only. What's that 3.5GH/s at 5W or so?

The only stuff which shows up on my search are rumors.

peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

The only stuff which shows up on my search are rumors.

Until something is actually released and shipped it's gonna be a rumor. BFL isn't the only one claiming ridiculous numbers, and they will have a lot more competition this time around. Expect a reasonable estimate of 100W per 20GH/s.
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 07:41:36 PM

I like BFL but I agree that they won't hit October only because I think they are trying to make sure that when they do ship they can ship out reorders before the end of the year.  Again I think and based off of what I have been reading all input supports this thought.  I don't think they will go past November because many of us won't stand for it.  Also the numbers are really high and I expect that we won't hit those high of numbers but looking at their past changes in numbers I can live it if they are that high.  Also BFL has provided a strong reason to why they missed the numbers and how they have fixed that on items such as the mini-rig so who knows maybe they can hit those numbers as advertised.

My opinion and yes I own BFL stuff and going to SC.   

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:24:16 PM

For people willing to put money down on this, here is the betsofbitcoin bet for whether or not BFL will deliver by end of November.

Butterfly Labs SC Single will be delivered by end of November 2012
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=607
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:59:35 PM

For people willing to put money down on this, here is the betsofbitcoin bet for whether or not BFL will deliver by end of November.

Butterfly Labs SC Single will be delivered by end of November 2012
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=607

I don't understand why people set bets up like this?  End date of November 29th?  What's the point?  Everyone knows whether BFL delivered or not by then, and can bet accordingly...

A GOOD bet would have the end date prior to October 15th (since BFL stated they will start deliveries beginning late October), preferably even sooner.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:05:15 PM

I talked to Inaba a while back, and he had said

And I quote, "December is almost 100%, I say almost because I don't want to be caught off guard by something unexpected. If it's not out by November, something went horribly wrong somewhere."
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 03:36:03 AM

b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit.

Think BFL's estimations are bullshit? You can make money by betting "disagree" on http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=665
See also: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109357.0
Kaliecious

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 03:23:33 PM

I think BFL has no choice but to start getting units out some time in october, or at least for pay pal orders. For all those who paid and cant be patient for a later then october release im sure will start contacting paypal and saying I ordered this on what ever date and they still have not shipped my product. if paypal gets enough slack about it they will start locking up bank accounts to get to the bottom of the problem at hand.

Also deciding to take paypal does give a mental insurance to the buyer that thier money is secure and covered by what actions paypal is able to take in situations of delay or no delivery of a product by a specific date.  So BFL has alot at stake right now with being able to keep up with thier word and getting the SC out as quick as possible before paypal complaints start rolling in.

tha's just my opinion though, but like the ole saying everyone has one.

goxed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 03:42:31 AM

bump

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: